mcd... our two cents (1 Viewer)

japeo

Since 2000
Website
www.theredneckmanifesto.com
hey... two months ago our band the redneck manifesto booked a gig at whelans for the 27th. of april. we were looking forward to it a lot because we have been practising a lot lately and writing loads of new stuff. we were gonna get bambi to play with us and it would have been a fun night.

anyway today me and matty from the band went to whelans just to check stuff out about the gig and we were told that we no longer had the date because in the meantime (i.e last week) darragh purcell from mcd had been in touch and requested the night for a cane 141 gig and got it over us... we were told that we had to get another night. unspecified. that could be taken away from us at any time.

the reason for this is because we are not a "name" band.

to be honest this gig was to provide us with money to record our debut album.. now we don't know what to do... we are not exactly loaded and we try to do things our own way, to try to create music which is important to us... and we will continue to do this but this throws a spanner in the works.

speaking for myself only... i feel broken hearted... i know this has happened to other bands in the past...
but there you go.

same thing happened to us

joss had booked whelans last year for the arse/leonard/corpo gig, and whelans pulled the date to accomodate MCD.

thankfully it was a great night anyway, but it is pretty damning against whelans.

Our gig was to pay for recording and for our friend's air fare from Scotland to play with us. We didn't find out we'd been gazumped until soon before the gig so a plane ticket had already been purchased. At least our gig was pulled for Dando instead of Cane141 though. Are they a 'name' band? And at least DP gave Chris (our friend) £50 for standing in front of people talking for 20 minutes the following Saturday to pay for one of his flights. And at least because of the Dando change there was a day free'd up the previous Tuesday. But Whelans is now the only proper and reasonably priced venue of that size with a decent PA (and lovely soundman). You have to book gigs 4 months in advance and can be chucked aside at any time - even 2 weeks in advance. It's the second time that's happened to Joan Of Arse there. Very frustrating.

All this isn't much help to you, Richie.
I hate to hear of it happening to anyone else.

i am genuinely sickened by this.

the redneck manifesto pull bigger crowds than the vast majority of local and touring bands that play in dublin. this year they have played support to two touring parties (hirameka hi-fi/reynolds and oxes) and in both cases a large amount of the crowd came to the gigs because they were playing. this meant that the kids and alpha relish were able to pay their touring bands quite well... fucking big up to trm for this.

now you see what mcd are capable of. scrupulousness and un-caring bollocks.
grrrrrr. i am riled up.

Who the fuck are Cane141 anyway?
Did Larry Gogan play them on the radio or something?

to make it even worse, they don't even have this cane141 whelan's gig listed on the mcd site or on cane141's site (www.cane141.com) which means that trm have been ousted in favour of daragh purcell maybe booking a band that no-one's heard of. great. more mob tactics from mcd - "hi whelan's, this is mcd here - if you don't book this band, cane141, you won't get any future business from us. have a nice day"

MCD aren't 100% to blame for this "Whelans telling people to fuck off" thang, Whelans are also to blame.

Maybe you should boycotte them also.

-Thayl

Would anyone think of mentioning this to Cane 141???
I mean there (possibly) just a bunch of young soul rebels just looking to rock out.
Would they impressed if the knew such 'bully boy' tactics were being used to secure them gigs??

contact them and throw them a comradery devil salute.

no rocker worth their salt will dare defy the devil salute.

Obviously, this type of carry on is no way for decent humans to conduct themselves. I think we can all agree on that. But, in fairness lads, posting your experiences with MCD on this message board is a little like preaching to the converted. Has anyone considered writing a letter to 'The Irish Times' or some such?
Ritchie, if you or Mattie were to consider it, I reckon you'll get a lot more joy. Don't bother holding back names (ie. Whelan's, MCD, Daragh Purcell, TRM).
Fuck Whelan's if they can't keep their word. Expose their event organisers for the cock-suckers they are.
Y'see, this is a big blow to me. I consider Whelans to be the best venue in Dublin, but if they're this unreliable - FUCK 'EM.

Why is it that The Tivoli has such a bad reputation these days? I've been to a couple of gigs there in the past 5 months, and I considered it a half-decent venue. Admittedly, the atmosphere was lacking somewhat, but then again that's hardly surprising as there were only about 7 people there. The sound seemed OK though, (hey, I mean, Spiritualised played there many years ago, and they were excellent).
Is it simply that people don't go there because nobody else goes?

What I'm suggesting is a boycott of Whelan's/TBMC and any other venue that deals with MCD.

Who's with me?

update... i mailed darragh purcell and told him what happened and he informed us that he had absolutely no idea that we had booked the night. he had been told there was another band playing but that they did not mind rescheduling...

he got on to cane 141 and whelans and cane 141's date has been changed and we have the night again... that is unless something else happpens :|

so thanks to darragh purcell the gig is back on. first time i ever dealt with him and he seems like a nice bloke.

thayl you are right about preaching to the converted but last night i was really annoyed and wanted to have a whinge ;] thanks to the people who said nice stuff... see yis on the 27th. of april hopefully.

richie
and trm

I think the question now is why whelans felt the need to screw over TRM in favour of MCD.....

my faith in humanity is restored... fair play to you ritchie for taking the bull by the horns and it just proves that if you want something done... call MCD!... no seriously that's cool that they've sorted it out for you.

some people in whelans are obviously all too willing to let MCD stomp on them however...

I'm bitterly dissapointed hearing this whole story.
I too have done plenty business with Whelans, and it seems more than clear they are solely responsible for this bullshit. I would have expected a lot more from John Hennessy there, and I fully intend to take him to task on the matter. That's just nonsense.

On the Tivoli issue: It's funny, I would never even have considered it as a venue, but simply because it just wouldn't occur to me. It's definitely worth considering though. Cost breakdown there, anyone?

pete (13 Mar, 2001 01:39 p.m.):
I think the question now is why whelans felt the need to screw over TRM in favour of MCD.....

If the episode was an oversight, then all's well that ends well. If not, then it looks like MCD have the right to arrange gigs in Whelan's on any date with little or no information or compensation provided for the bands ousted (don't you have to pay a deposit in Whelans to play ?) If this is the case, then how many other venues and gig organisers do MCD have in their pockets ? Et tu Eamonn Doran ??

Either way, people in Whelans saw the chance to make a few bucks and took it and just assumed that they could re-schedule the band listed to play. Bad cess to ye Whelanoids !

Johnny S. Legend Man (13 Mar, 2001 03:22 p.m.):

On the Tivoli issue: It's funny, I would never even have considered it as a venue, but simply because it just wouldn't occur to me. It's definitely worth considering though. Cost breakdown there, anyone?

the Tivoli is a fine fine venue, but I think people have it in their heads it just that bit to far out of the city.

I was once told that MCD and the Tivolis owner had a huge bust up and The Tivoli has been blacklisted ever since by MCD, at the time nearly forcing the venue to bankrupcy, nearly.

I'd wager the owner would love to here from a few scencester promoter types who want to get one over on MCD.

All you have to do is ask the guy that runs/ran "Raygun" on Thursday nights how much it is. If people can be arsed going to Whelans to see a gig then they'll definitely go to the Tivoli if its on 'cos it's not really that far away from Whelans. Although I do also think that people believe that it's further away from the city than it really is. A bit like Meath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back