MATT B SAFER (The Rapture) DJ set this Friday in CrawDaddy (1 Viewer)

miguel_myriad

So the NY pop-punk quartet have been building a new studio and the first fruits of their new musical labours might be dropped at this special DJ set in CrawDaddy. They have also contributed a new track to Grand Theft Auto IV called ‘No Sex for Ben’ which you can check out on their myspace.

POD Concerts presents

MATT B SAFER- DJ set
(The Rapture)

Friday September 19th

CrawDaddy – Old Harcourt St. Station – Dublin 2.

Doors 11.30pm

Tickets €22.50 available from Ticketmaster, Road Records, City Discs, Sound Cellar and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie . Doors 7.30pm.

www.therapturemusic.com
www.myspace.com/therapture

The NY pop-punk quartet who have been trail blazing since their 2002 dance floor stomper ‘House of the Jealous Lovers’ return to get the party started.

Three years after the release of their much-lauded debut, “Echoes”, New York four-piece The Rapture returned in 2006 with a new long-player, “Pieces of the People We Love” which was preceded by the spectacular single, “Get Myself Into It”.

“Pieces of the People We Love” was written over the course of 12 months after the band had finished touring their debut. Knuckling down to writing duties upon their return to New York, the group emerged in a confident stride with 30 songs in their pocket and an itch to get into the studio. They road-tested some of their new tunes in a series of low-key live shows up and down the east and west coasts. The results were suitably exciting (the NYC show was voted Gig of the Year by New York Magazine), so in Spring 2006 they took these songs into the studio with Paul Epworth (Bloc Party, Futureheads) and Ewan Pearson (mixer for Chemical Brothers, Depeche Mode and Gwen Stefani, on production duties for the first time) in Manhattan, and then with Danger Mouse (you may have heard of him recently through his Gnarls Barkley project) in L.A.

What’s come out of these sessions is an album that winds a course from pop-funk smash (the call-and-response refrains of “Whoo! Alright-Yeah…Uh Huh.” are a grin-so-hard-it-hurts delight) to psychedelic (“Live In Sunshine”); The Rapture show their softer side on tunes like “Calling Me”, then resolutely wipe the slate clean with the blast of energy that is "The Sound." All in all, this record is the sound of a band more focused, having too much fun and without a thought to any hipster pre-conceptions that might be held of them. It's the sound of a party to which everyone is invited.

Probed about his DJ sets, Safer jokes, “You should tell people: ‘He plays in a band too’ – meant as more like he’s not an accomplished DJ.”

On a more serious note people can expect ‘party breaks, electro house, disco, indie rave, and a bit of old school punk thrown in for good measure’ – that’s what the press release states and it’s no exaggeration.
I’m grooving along to one of Safer’s old, eclectic party mixes as I write. It’s as danceable as a Rapture record, that is if the Rapture record went for over an hour, had a steady house-beat, suave transitions, no guitar, and a truckload of electronic screeches, swirls, bleeps and blurps.

Dance fans who adore The Rapture will love Safer’s DJing ear, fans of the band’s rock side won’t. I ask Safer whether he prefers the dance crowd to the rock crowd.
He says, “Rock bands are kind of dumb; deejays are kind of shallow – I’m sort of in the middle of the two, and I’m implying that I’m kind of dumb and shallow. No, no, no, there are good things to be found in both.”

http://www.ravemagazine.com.au/content/view/2165/30/

I still can't believe anyone would pay €22.50 to see this guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back