Martin Stephenson and The Daintees, Whelan's, 12th Nov (1 Viewer)

whelanslive

[FONT=&quot]Martin Stephenson and The Daintees
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]+ The Gandhis[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whelan’s, 25 Wexford St, D2[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Friday 12th November, 8pm[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tickets €[/FONT][FONT=&quot]15 + booking fees available[/FONT][FONT=&quot] from WAV Tickets [lo call 1890 200 078 from 1pm], Ticketmaster Outlets Nationwide & Tickets.ie[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1969 Productions is delighted to announce the return of Martin Stephenson and The Daintees for one special night at Whelan’s on Friday 12th November. For the first time since their famous sell out shows at The Olympia in 1988, the Daintees, including original guitarist John Steel, return to Dublin for a long overdue show and will be supported by The Gandhis.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the mid to late 80’s and early 90’s the Daintees attracted a passionate and loyal fan base and regularly toured this country delighting audiences with classic songs such as Rain, Holy Humble Heart, Slaughterman, Running Water and the timeless Boat to Bolivia. Over the course of 4 Kitchenware albums, all recently made available again by Martin himself, the Daintees pushed the boundaries of indie rock, exploring folk, blues, country, bluegrass and rockabilly without ever losing that unique “Daintees” sound and attitude.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Martin Stephenson has kept close links with Ireland and remained a beloved performer, particularly among Irish musicians, and last year he played a barnstorming low key private show that set the scene for this return to Dublin with the band that he led for so long.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]MARTIN[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]STEPHENSON – Biog[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Never feted as much as Paddy Mcaloon, Roddy Frame or Paul Heaton but he has songs to equal any of those mentioned.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Anyone who was around in 1986 and was not listening to Wham was probably interested in Boat to Bolivia. With his beloved Daintees he delivered a debut up there with Swoon and HighLand, Hard Rain. So why has he fallen off everyone’s radar so completely? No big hits, poor career choices, drink, a reluctance to play the game. All of these play some part in the story of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Martin [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Stephenson[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was a big fan at the time. Living in the North-East and being a lover of everything indie I was almost obliged to love everything on the Kitchenware label. The label that brought us Hurrah, Prefab Sprout, The Kane Gang as well as The Daintees. I remember the lad who worked behind the counter at HMV used to supply me with promo posters and encouraged my love of this great label. First time I saw any of them play was Prefab Sprout at The Mayfair (with Hurrah in support) in 1984. It was a full year before I got to seeThe Daintees who had by then become [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Martin[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Stephenson and The Daintees[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had bought all the records but was not much taken with them until I saw them live. A student Christmas party at Newcastle University in 1985 changed all of that. Second on the bill to The Men They couldn’t Hang with theBlubberry Hell Bellies and The Housemartins below them, made for an exciting night. Their light weight, almost twee, early singles had been replaced by some absolute classics. The majority of which would make up the following years Boat to Bolivia LP. I must have seen them more than ten times in the following few years. Every time they were superb.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Martin[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]is the perfect showman. Warm and endearing he would play the songs so that everyone thought they were just for them. His in between song banter was legendary. I remember one particular gig at what was the old Polytechnic (with the Three Johns) in the car park that was an absolute belter. Another at the Church on the round-a-bout near the Haymarket bus station, where he performed solo, (St Thomas’ I have been reliably informed.) Around Newcastle they were massive. Everyone expected them to go onto greater things. The music press never really seemed to get them. When their second album came out; Gladsome, Humour and Blue, we thought that even the music press was going to have to wake up to them. A fabulous album full of great songs…………….. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This Biog was written by the author of an article on Icons of Northern (English) music which gives some profile / context to Martin Stephenson. Full article[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]HERE[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.daintees.com/[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.myspace.com/martinstephenson[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Information on 1969 Productions[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1969 Productions is the promotional arm of 1969 Records, one of Ireland’s leading independent record labels with artists such as Pugwash, Dave Couse, The Gandhis, Q, The Pale and (in conjunction with Divine Comedy Records) The Duckworth Lewis Method.[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back