MAKING mp3'S LOUDER (1 Viewer)

spuded

Website
www.geocities.com
Dunno if this is the right place to ask this but i'm currently working with some 1930's library of congress recordings the only problem is they are such a low volume no matter what i do, i dont need them to be clearer, as the hiss will always be there is just need them louder, anyone know any good freeware i can do this with?

ha none, its actually just a piece im doing on Alan Lomax's early prison recordings for my zine 'the devil on 45' and moreso about the wealth of music online thats copyright free, mostly from the library of congress recordings, i just wanna be able to listen to the fuckin things more often on my mp3 player but they are too damn low

You know i was just thinking about this today, i think i saw an advert for some freeware that is called something simple like 'mp3boost' or 'soundlouder' or something along those lines. They exist is the point. Not sure how it would affect the quality of the audio but.

Quick and dirty soloution if it's just some renegade peaks preventing decent amplification.

Download a freeware audio editor like Goldwave, amplify the audio by some value that doesnt introduce any noticeable distortion (200% or sommit), then re-encode them to mp3.

Another possibility is to listen to them full blast on a loud stereo. Write down what is said. Next step, shout the words into a tape recorder. Then hook the tape recorder up to your computer and digitise it. Then download a freeware audio editor like goldwave and convert the recordings to mp3 and listen to these.

Dunno if this is the right place to ask this but i'm currently working with some 1930's library of congress recordings the only problem is they are such a low volume no matter what i do, i dont need them to be clearer, as the hiss will always be there is just need them louder, anyone know any good freeware i can do this with?

You know i was just thinking about this today, i think i saw an advert for some freeware that is called something simple like 'mp3boost' or 'soundlouder' or something along those lines. They exist is the point. Not sure how it would affect the quality of the audio but.

http://www.x-fi.com/

maybe it was this, it goes inbetween your MP3 player or computer and your speakers, so not much use here, but it claims to do some pretty wacky stuff

enlarge.asp

fair enough that it can make your MP3s sound "better", maybe some re-dithering or fancy EQing gear could do something like that... but how they can claim that it will make the actual CDs sound "better" is beyond me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-fi

The X-Fi-series has been criticized for the way it has been marketed. Creative claimed that this crystalizer DSP could generate 24-bit resolution from audio recorded at 16-bit, a claim which is mathematically and logically impossible. In fact, crystalizer is not unlike the many plug-ins for popular audio players and stereo systems which enhance audio through sophisticated analog/digital modeling. Whether or not the effect is beneficial is a qualitative measurement unique to each individual, and depends on the type of audio being played back.

http://www.x-fi.com/

maybe it was this, it goes inbetween your MP3 player or computer and your speakers, so not much use here, but it claims to do some pretty wacky stuff

enlarge.asp

fair enough that it can make your MP3s sound "better", maybe some re-dithering or fancy EQing gear could do something like that... but how they can claim that it will make the actual CDs sound "better" is beyond me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-fi

The X-Fi-series has been criticized for the way it has been marketed. Creative claimed that this crystalizer DSP could generate 24-bit resolution from audio recorded at 16-bit, a claim which is mathematically and logically impossible. In fact, crystalizer is not unlike the many plug-ins for popular audio players and stereo systems which enhance audio through sophisticated analog/digital modeling. Whether or not the effect is beneficial is a qualitative measurement unique to each individual, and depends on the type of audio being played back.

There's actually some really good info on this here.

Also check out www.thumped.com - a great resource for general information, kind of any 'anything and everything' of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back