Linux (1 Viewer)

billygannon

Contributor
Does anyone here use Linux on their home PC's?
I had my first experience of it over in the States (using Red Hat) and was well impressed.
Basically I've stopped using all the Microsoft Office software and am thinking of going the whole hog and not using Windows at all.

Gong Farmer said:
Does anyone here use Linux on their home PC's?
I had my first experience of it over in the States (using Red Hat) and was well impressed.
Basically I've stopped using all the Microsoft Office software and am thinking of going the whole hog and not using Windows at all.
I use it on my main work PC. It's one thing wrestling with that shit while getting paid for it. It's another to be wrestling with that shit on your own time.

Use it for a firewall at home though, because I'll be fucked if I'm putting a Windows PC directly on th'internet.

all the nerds around here are always going on about fedora being great. it was like christmas when someone figured out how to use a usb key with it.

each to their own!

http://fedora.redhat.com/

you can keep your current windows and make it dual boot easy enough using partition magic or something.

Stacy said:
all the nerds around here are always going on about fedora being great. it was like christmas when someone figured out how to use a usb key with it.

each to their own!

http://fedora.redhat.com/

you can keep your current windows and make it dual boot easy enough using partition magic or something.
I'm planning on having a dual-boot. Is it hard to set-up?
If nerds were pretty actresses, I'd be a Jamie Lee Curtis. So that's about where I'm at in that whole spectrum.

yeah i thinks its easy. use partition magic to turn as much of your hardrive as you want into free space.

run the linux installation from startup and it will let you format the free space into linux space and hey presto dual boot (the dual boot startup manager thing comes with linux).

..thats of course the idealised view :)

billy, if you want a copy of knoppix, can burn you one. it's freeware linux (obviously) but it runs directly off a cd (stick cd in pc, reboot, bob's your uncle) and it recognises ANY hardware you throw at it pretty much. it's based around the debian distro, which is nice. and you can set it up on a harddrive partition as well which is also nice.

and it picks up the usb devices no probs as well. word to the wise, if you want to be able to transfer docs between the windows partitions and the linux partitions, set up a FAT32 partition. linux can read from, but not write to, a NTFS partition, which is the standard filesystem in WinXP, but FAT32 is writable to both the Win and the Linux OS.

Stacy said:
yeah i thinks its easy. use partition magic to turn as much of your hardrive as you want into free space.

run the linux installation from startup and it will let you format the free space into linux space and hey presto dual boot (the dual boot startup manager thing comes with linux).

..thats of course the idealised view :)
As Bill O'Herilhy once said:
Okey-dokey
I'll give that shot and then let you all know how I got on (in detail) through either through this web-site or through a zine.

May I say that I am well impressed with Plastic Donkey. Everyone should get a copy. If you were a pretty actress you would be Emmanuele Beart.

Gong Farmer said:
If nerds were pretty actresses, I'd be a Jamie Lee Curtis. So that's about where I'm at in that whole spectrum.

use GRUB for a dual boot system, it's the most reliable. you set it up under linux, and its much easier to use than LILO.

lmd64 said:
billy, if you want a copy of knoppix, can burn you one. it's freeware linux (obviously) but it runs directly off a cd (stick cd in pc, reboot, bob's your uncle) and it recognises ANY hardware you throw at it pretty much. it's based around the debian distro, which is nice. and you can set it up on a harddrive partition as well which is also nice.

and it picks up the usb devices no probs as well. word to the wise, if you want to be able to transfer docs between the windows partitions and the linux partitions, set up a FAT32 partition. linux can read from, but not write to, a NTFS partition, which is the standard filesystem in WinXP, but FAT32 is writable to both the Win and the Linux OS.
Oh! That could be the one! My mate Phil recommended Debian alright. I'll give you a shout at some stage about this.
I think I have a FAT32 partition on the PC at home. That Operating Systems course is coming back to me like a ghost (sort of like Marley in A Christmas Carol).

Gong Farmer said:

use Debian instead, then you can mess around with the blackfort server (also Debian) too.
i can give you a hand with installing it if you like.

cookiemonster said:
use Debian instead, then you can mess around with the blackfort server (also Debian) too.
i can give you a hand with installing it if you like.
Sweat! Sorry, I mean sweet!
Yep... I reckon I'll go with the Debian. Although I might be really fancy and go for a three way boot (Fedora, Debian and Windows!).
Dunno about messing with the Blackfort server - not just yet!
What kind of GUI does Debian have? Is it that 4-windows screen?

yep, 4 windows. i've got the distro for debian (i think it's the latest version, with the 2.6 kernel) on bootable dvd as well, if you want it, which can be handy for installing all sorts of things. debian is better than knoppix, for customising the install.

lmd64 said:
yep, 4 windows. i've got the distro for debian (i think it's the latest version, with the 2.6 kernel) on bootable dvd as well, if you want it, which can be handy for installing all sorts of things. debian is better than knoppix, for customising the install.
Okay... cool! It'd be great if I could get that off you at some stage. However I have to fix up the DvD Drive on my PC.

This has been great. Thanks for the input etc.

Time for some fun pictures!
technocop.png

peace.jpg

mark_smile.jpg

blasphemy.jpg

http://www.heartofyoga.org/images/mark_smile.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back