Le Garage Punk Thread (3 Viewers)

Space

is deep
Supporter
Solutions
Here's some of my favourites off the top of my head, fire up any other recommendations yous have.

Murder City Devils
The Mummies
The Dwarves
The Marked Men
The Oblivions
Clorox Girls
Henry Fiats Open Sore
Wipers
Marvellous Darlings
Moutpiece
Hex Dispensers
Compulsive Gamblers
Jay Reatard

Well if none of them are French I can get away with posting this here...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here's some of my favourites off the top of my head, fire up any other recommendations yous have.

Murder City Devils
The Mummies
The Dwarves
The Marked Men
The Oblivions
Clorox Girls
Henry Fiats Open Sore
Wipers
Marvellous Darlings
Moutpiece
Hex Dispensers
Compulsive Gamblers
Jay Reatard

You covered pretty much all of my personal faves with that list. However:

Teengenerate
Sonics
Exploding Hearts (though a bit more power pop)
Motards
Parting Gifts
Dirtbombs
King Khan and the Shrines

Cool, there's a few there I've checked out recently and a few I need to check out. There's always gonna be bit of crossover between this stuff and power pop. King Khan is cool as fuck and seems to be relentless in putting out stuff/starting bands.

Murder City Devils
The Mummies
The Dwarves
The Marked Men
The Oblivions
Clorox Girls
Henry Fiats Open Sore
Wipers
Marvellous Darlings
Moutpiece
Hex Dispensers
Compulsive Gamblers
Jay Reatard

what makes a band garage punk? never been to up on what different terms meant
i won't have ever thought of murder city devils or wipers as garage punk(not saying their not) then i never really thought what they are other than some sort of punk.look forward to checking out some of the bands its nice to have some starting points.

what makes a band garage punk? never been to up on what different terms meant
i won't have ever thought of murder city devils or wipers as garage punk(not saying their not) then i never really thought what they are other than some sort of punk.look forward to checking out some of the bands its nice to have some starting points.

I'm not really sure to be honest, you might see a similarity between some of the other bands and then see where I was coming from with including them two. I guess being influenced by the 60s garage bands is the key thing. The organ in MCD really gives me a garagey feeling and then Wipers I'd say stuff like D-7 has a sci fi buzz that again I'd relate to garage. It's all academic though a bit like asking what is and isn't punk. Maybe you could add that there's not much in line of confrontational lyrics going on either and I'd say it's definitely a different style to what you might call street punk or oi. Any of that make any sense?

Cool, there's a few there I've checked out recently and a few I need to check out. There's always gonna be bit of crossover between this stuff and power pop. King Khan is cool as fuck and seems to be relentless in putting out stuff/starting bands.

Yeah King Khan is prolific as fuck. Detroit Cobras are another good one-mostly just a covers band though. I totally get what you mean about the power pop crossover-it's also why I love those early punk bands such as the Pagans, Dead Boys, Sex Pistols (first record), Adverts, Boys, Ramones, etc-it was all just really sloppy rock n roll which is pretty much what garage rock is all about.

Oh, the Wailers and Rivieras were also cool. You ever hear that series of comps Norton did; "Stomp!", "Shout!", and "Work It On Out!"?

Yeah it seems that whether it is considered powerpop or garage punk depends on where it's made. The Texas Garage Punk scene (Marked Men, Hex Dispensers, etc.) and the Canadian Powerpop scene (The Sedatives, Sonic Avenues, etc.) are pretty damn close to the same genre...both of which are deadly.

Burger Records has some great Garage stuff- my current fave is Pangea, but they also have the likes of Moonhearts, Bad Sports, Jaill and a good few others.
Tic Tac Totally have some great bands on their roster that are well worth checking out

Come to think of it P.Trash records is like an encylopedia of what you are looking for Moose.

Yeah it seems that whether it is considered powerpop or garage punk depends on where it's made. The Texas Garage Punk scene (Marked Men, Hex Dispensers, etc.) and the Canadian Powerpop scene (The Sedatives, Sonic Avenues, etc.) are pretty damn close to the same genre...both of which are deadly.

Burger Records has some great Garage stuff- my current fave is Pangea, but they also have the likes of Moonhearts, Bad Sports, Jaill and a good few others.
Tic Tac Totally have some great bands on their roster that are well worth checking out

Come to think of it P.Trash records is like an encylopedia of what you are looking for Moose.

So many new bands to check out based on that one post!!!

I'm looking for discussion of people's favourites more so than a list like that of P Trash. Will check out Pangea though. :)

wow. a garage punk thread and hardly any of these (my faves) mentioned.

the lyres
the stems
hoodoo gurus
fleshtones
nomads
rocket from the crypt
gas huffer
dead moon
dirtbombs
D4
new christs
black lips
young fresh fellows
dwarves
candy snatchers
JSBX
mono men
new bomb turks
swingin neckbreakers
monkeywrench
lazy cowgirls
gories
mummies
mudhoney
devil dogs
cheater slicks
fall outs
bellrays
reigning sound
compulsive gamblers
cynics
humpers
MCD
red aunts
spits

i could spend the evening typing band names

That's a great list. Some of my faves there as well as some stuff I haven't even heard of before. That should keep me busy. Jay69 you know the Spits have a new album out? Some class songs on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back