Jackson Pollock, brush strokes (he was a cheeky beggar an' all) (1 Viewer)

jjlikestrains

JACKSON POLLOCK
Power FM
Sunday, January 23rd
5.00 - 7.00pm GMT

Nice to be back. A little rusty for the first hour but it's just like riding a bicycle innit.

* Hint - "Actory"
From the "Portakabin Fever" LP - a powerfm.org favourite, or so I'm told. Sweet.

* Bias - "Sit Back, See The World"
Surely conflicting advice from Bias, but it's proffered so beguilingly that quibbling about it is just plain wrong.

* New Mastersounds w/ Corinne Bailey - "Your Love Is Mine"
Latter day JTQ types park the Lambrettas and rope in the divine Ms Bailey for this soulful little number that's weirdly reminiscent of "Midnight At The Oasis". Carrickmacross never had it so good.

* Exile - "Algae"
Blatantly Al Green-sampling track from the "Absence Of Color" EP on Sound In Color Records, all the way from Sunny California.

* Ray Charles - "The Cincinnati Kid"
It would have been a much suaver nod to the "Ray" biopic that opened this weekend if I'd not accidentally knocked it onto 45rpm for the first few seconds, but I'm sure the old big game hunter wouldn't have minded. Doesn't Jamie Foxx look like him in the posters?

* McNeal & Niles - "Ja Ja"
These guys' "Thrust" album was released to minus fanfare in the late 70s, then one of the dudes from Chocolate Industries liked the look of its cover while browsing in a 2nd hand record shop, bought it, dug it the most, and reissued it on their label. A happy accident of Paul Austerish proportions - though I doubt that Auster could ever carry off summery jazzy vibes with the same aplomb that this pair does.

* William DeVaughan - "Be Thankful for What You Got"
Depending on which side your bread's buttered on, you'll know this for this version, or for Massive Attack's cover of it on "Blue Lines". Both are tops, but the original just about edges it for me.

* Melaaz - "Non, Non, Non"
Staying in a Massive Attack vein, this en Francais cover of that woman whose name I can't remember's "No, No, No" is from Daddy G's "DJ Kicks" LP. Oui oui oui.

* This Kid Named Miles - "Ring Of Fire"
And staying in a cover version vein, it's the Johnny Cash classic performed the way the Man In Black surely intended it - ska-style. (I may have burbled that it was "reggaefied" on the show - don't mind anything I say.)

* Dr Rubberfunk - "Latin Player"
The good Doctor hisself, with one of the highlights off his debut LP "First Cut"

* Free Association - "Sugarman"
Holmer's bunch of dossers come good with this woozy cover of the Sixto Peralta track he featured on "Come Get It I Got It". Why do I get the feeling that "Harlem cotton candy" is a euphemism for something else entirely?

* Nick Holder w/ Reign - "History In The Making"
The B-side to Holder's "No More Dating DJs". Can't say I know too much about Reign but this is a nice Amp Fiddler-style jazzy rap effort.

* Only Child w/ Kriminul - "Memories"
About time I got round to playing some Grand Central. Took me a while to get into the Only Child's sophomore effort "Solitaire" (geddit?) but now I like it pretty well, and like this the most from it - great spooky piano action. Fat City fave The Jigmasta's Kriminul provides the rap, sounds like it might be Niko doing the "stop haunting me now" refrain but they don't credit her. Answers on a postcard...

* A-Ko - "Untitled"
On Melting Pot Music, a great little 7" I picked up on NYC's turntablelab.com. Apparently A-Ko is a 17-year-old from Iowa, who when he's not making tunes is probably kicking your @ss on Quake Tournament. There's a Soul side and a Strut side. This is the Strut side. So get struttin'.

* Niko - "Don't Waste Your Time"
More GC goodness, from her "Life On Earth" debut LP. Altogether now - ooooh-eee-ooohhweeee...

* Herbert - "Wake Up"
I'm sure this can be found elsewhere but I brought it to the turntable from "Beats & Pieces Vol. 3". The Fat City online shop describes it as "the style of music that can only be described as "Herbert"", and I can't say fairer than that.

* Erykah Badu - "On & On (Summer In Sydney mix)"
Ms Badu may not have given this mellow remix the green light but it's on green 7" vinyl and has a cartoon of a spaceman not unlike Marvin the Martian from the Bugs Bunny cartoons so I'm sure she'd be all for it.

* Blendcrafters - "Imagine"
As I said, this shouldn't work, but it does. J5's Nu-Mark and his buddy Pomo in their Blendcrafters guise veer dangerously close to lift muzak with this instrumental Lennon cover version, but I like to think that they just about glide across the lip of the credibility precipice without tumbling into the Chasm of Naff.

* Jimmy Behan - "Deeper Than Heaven"
Apologies if "The Irish Kieran Hebden" is a lazy tag to put on Mr Behan but it's a compliment in my book. From his superb "Days Are What We Live In" LP with a little help from Miz Nina Hynes.

* Fred - "You & I"
Nice little tune that I picked up from Fat City (www.fatcity.co.uk) a few years back. Don't know much about Fred but hasn't he got a very feminine voice? Hmmm, maybe it's Fred from Angel. But probably not.

* Mainframe & Platonic - "The Future's Oldest Story"
More Sound In Color, this time from the label's introductory compilation album "MU:SIC" - you should be able to pick it up from their soundincolor.com website. A little reminiscent of Up Bustle & Out, for them of you who know them.

* Gil Scott Heron - "The Bottle"
A stone cold (sober) classic from ol' Gil. Nuff said.

* Madvillian - "One Beer"
Dunno what the same Gil would make of this. This was a 1-sided promo 7" free when you bought last year's "Madvillainy" LP from turntablelab.com, though is in a much nuttier vein than anything on there. Fried toad t*rd, anyone?

* RJD2 - "Two More Dead"
No additional info necessary here. Super track from the super super "Deadringer" album.

* Cannibal Ox - "The F Word (RJD2 remix)"
And keeping with Mr D2, here he is remixing Def Jux labelmates Cannibal Ox in his own inimitable style.

* Pest - "The Jefferson Shuffle"
Ninja Tune's court jesters, reminding you to watch out for that faaaaaaaaader.

* Ettore Stratta & His Orchestra - "Theme from The Godfather" (Octopus remix)
Rounding things off with another turntablelab.com plunder, zero info on the 7" label other than the track names but there's a cartoon of an Octopus mixing and the TTL ppl credit "Octopus" as the man responsible for this nice lounge-funk workover of Da Godfadda... finding an octopusses head in your bed, now that would be freaky.

And that's yer lot. Back soon if they'll have me.

Action Jackson is ehh out of action for February but returns on Sunday, March 6th (the same day The Neville Brothers touch down in Dublin as it goes).

Home: www.PowerFM.org
studio: [email protected]

- Live
Mobile: http://live.powerfm.org/asx/powerlive16k.asx
Broadband : http://live.powerfm.org/asx/powerlive.asx

brushstrokes_2.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/b/brushstrokes_1299000451.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back