Irving Welsh (1 Viewer)

Hector Grey

Contributor
Since 2000
so i was stuck in a hotel, what with the flight being cancelled and that, and i found "the bedroom secrets of the master chefs" so i read cos ther ewas nothing else to do.

my god, that boy can't write. it's utterly fucking appalling.
i've never rated him, and that opinion is just compounded by this twaddle.
why is he rich and famous?

this got a pretty good review in something I read recently, some literary journal thingamajig

so I was gonna read it

but I didn't get round to it, what with being mentally retarded and all

I think he is not a very adaptable writer.
Ie, he can write in a certain style very well... Glue, Trainspotting etc, and that's all. When he tries to change things about, he is just not working so well.

He is the Jimmy Nail of writers say. Very good at acting one part. And only one part.
I used to think Roddy Doyle was the same, then he wrote something that... meh, actualy, Roddy Doyle is similar.

I read some short stories he'd written 7 or so years ago in Ecstasy; Three Tales of Chemical Romance. Disturbing shit. One of the stories was about some woman whose mother took thalidomide when she was pregnant and the woman was born with flippers for arms and legs. Somehow this woman convinces her boyfriend that kidnapping the baby of the guy who ran the pharmaceutical company that distributed the thalidomide and posting the guy his baby back limb by limb is a good idea...

Needless to say it disturbed the fuck outta me and I avoid Irvine Welsh at all costs now.

Thalidomide is an amazing drug.
Its like Aspirin. They just keep finding more and more things that it can do.

The whole L (?) isomer making women have horrifically deformed kids is definately not its finest moment alright.
But... its just insane the amount of incidents I hear that one molecule implicated in the control of. They are desprately trying to get it back from the totally banned list last I heard.

There was even a book written about it... "Dark Remedy"
Amazing altogether so it is.

Ever so slight off topic there....

One of the stories was about some woman whose mother took thalidomide when she was pregnant and the woman was born with flippers for arms and legs. Somehow this woman convinces her boyfriend that kidnapping the baby of the guy who ran the pharmaceutical company that distributed the thalidomide and posting the guy his baby back limb by limb is a good idea...

I remember this- It reminded me of Milligan and McCarthys Skin- the story of a young skinhead, also deformed due to Thalidomide poisoning. He also extacts his revenge in a particularly gory way- they actually banned this comic for a while but it's back on sale now
titel79.jpg

I think he's rubbish. And a tosser.

Did anyone go see his play?

I really like trainspotting, but I understand now that Irvine Welsh really just collects folklore and puts a spin on it. Like the vicks as lube, i mean who hasn't heard that their friend/cousin/barber did that?

Althought his finest moments include showin yer rapist that he had drilled a hole in his sons ass pictures of it and even tho i didn't read it all my friend read me out and extract from that book mentioned in the first post about some character having sex with an old lady and the detail was so eugh and hilarious i wanted to wash or tear/scrape chunks out of myself after. (spoilers in white unseeable font, highlight it)

Did anyone go see his play?

I really like trainspotting, but I understand now that Irvine Welsh really just collects folklore and puts a spin on it. Like the vicks as lube, i mean who hasn't heard that their friend/cousin/barber did that?

Althought his finest moments include showin yer rapist that he had drilled a hole in his sons ass pictures of it and even tho i didn't read it all my friend read me out and extract from that book mentioned in the first post about some character having sex with an old lady and the detail was so eugh and hilarious i wanted to wash or tear/scrape chunks out of myself after. (spoilers in white unseeable font, highlight it)
yeah the scene with the old bowler is just a so-wattge of enormous proportions. i could see it coming a mile off. oh lookit irving, he's crude. it's a sad show, just to put in some shockers to cover up the fact that he cannay rite. i've read a few books by him, utter tish. trainspotting is altigtt in palces, til he starts to think he can write... then it falls down because his prose is woeful. tosser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back