• Watchers 0

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
I'm working on setting up a database of Irish bands so i'm looking for band details, like name of members and former members, what they played, any recordings released, the names of any other bands that members also played in or went on to play in, URL's and any other general info like that.

Here's a list of the 120 or so bands already in the database - in most cases all I have on them so far is their name...... email stuff to [email protected], please.

10 Point Rule, 2000 Strong, 46 Long, Annapurna, A-Tone, Bambi, Blackbelt Jones, Bobby Pulls A Wilson, Brinskill Bombbeat Corporation, Brooder, Budge, Burning Love Jumpsuit, Capratone, Cheapskate, Chicks, Circle Again, Ciunas, Control, Cooties, Count Tornado, D.E.B.T., Dacianos, Damien Frost, Das Madman, Decal, Dissent, Dot Creek, DSFA, Estel, Fairuza, Female Hercules, Fianaí, Finger Mouse, Flexihead, Fulcrum, Global Pillage, Gout, Gymslip, Here Be Monsters, Hylton Weir, Jackbeast, Joan of Arse, Jobbykrust, Kila, Killercrust, Klubber Lang, L8R, Large Mound, Liquid Hi-Fi, Little Palace, Lost, Low End, Luc & The Platelets, Luggage, Mixtwitch, Monkhouse, Nappyrash, Neckweed, Nerdlinger, New Improved Eyes, Noise Pollution, Not Our World, Ogre, Omelette, Outkry, Pacer, Palomine, Paranoid Visions, Penfold, Pet Lamb, Pincher Martin, Pinion, Puget Sound, Residence, Schnorbitz, Section Eight, Silent Bob, Sir Killalot, Snackbox, Split Red, Spudgun, Stoat, Stomach, Stress, Striknien DC, Sunbear, Tarca, Taven, Tetsuo, That Fabulous Feeling, The Asteroids, The Baseball Fury, The Coldspoon Conspiracy, The Connect 4 Orchestra, The Dangerfields, The Dudley Corporation, The Frames, The Great Western Squares, The Holemasters, The Idiots, The Jimmy Cake, The Jubilee Allstars, The Kabinboy, The Last Post, The Last Sound, The Memory Cells, The Mexican Pets, The Moustaches, The National Prayer Breakfast, The Null Set, The Redneck Manifesto, The Satan Clause, The Steam Pig, The Waltons, The Wormholes, Thekeds, Thinker_Org, Tooth, Tucker Suite, Venus Envy, Zeroonezero, Zerotonin

thanks
pete

ok i better specify how i need the band / membership info - only 2 mails so far but it's taking me ages to get the stuff into the database

if you're sending stuff try to do it like this:

BAND NAME
list each member on a separate line (past & present, with a * before the name for ex members) & other bands that person has been in

RELEASES
name, format, label, year

This'll just make my life a little easier...It doesn't matter too much about the format of any other info at the moment... try to include a paragraph or two of description if you can...i'm sure i'll think of other stuff.

thanks
pete

oh yes

one other thing

some indication of the style of music - the genre, if you will (ahem)- would be appreciated

Notable absences are the Corrs, U2 and Boyzone.....

Just a feckin' smartarse, that's what I am....

just to let you know - we're up to 170 bands cross referenced with 119 people so far

still a lot to be done......

we could draw a tree.

jimmy cake - das madman - bitts of david kitt's band - luc + his merry platelets - thinker org...

or... happystack - estel - waltons - redneck manifesto - blackbelt jones/hylton weir/jackbeast

it'd be fun. no, really. we could do it purely through bands stephen doyle has been in. or john madman. mmm... holochrist.

Hey! Dirty word!
I think I'm the only geezer from the cultural travesty that was Holochrist who's still doing music these days, although Toni ( the cute singer) is doing quite well for herself as a fashion designer and my good friend Lenny (bassist - also in the Gougers) is now a biologist for Jameson Distilleries and a qualified Whiskey taster, which is pretty rock n roll in it's own way...As much as the guy gets my back up, I'll always be grateful to Deko Dachau for giving us gigs when no fucker should have...same goes for Bambi, Underfoot and the lovely folks at Hope, for that matter; That Los Crudos/ Ebola show is one of my favourite gigs played to this day...

We've already shown that nearly every band in dublin can be traced back in some way to capratone and the redneck manifesto......

Anyways I'm meeting niall mcguirk for lunch tomorrow - those of you with shady punk rock historys you'd rather your current circle of friends didn't know about should start worrying right about now....

Maybe if i can find out how to do graphical representations of relational databases you can have that tree....And maybe if i find out how to do ASP/ODBC shortest path database crap then we can imitate that epitaph band linking thing....

maybe

or

maybe I could get a life.

pete (09 May, 2001 02:25 p.m.):
We've already shown that nearly every band in dublin can be traced back in some way to capratone and the redneck manifesto......

Anyways I'm meeting niall mcguirk for lunch tomorrow - those of you with shady punk rock historys you'd rather your current circle of friends didn't know about should start worrying right about now....

Maybe if i can find out how to do graphical representations of relational databases you can have that tree....And maybe if i find out how to do ASP/ODBC shortest path database crap then we can imitate that epitaph band linking thing....

maybe

or

maybe I could get a life.

Ho ho! If I'm gonna get reefed for being in Holochrist at this early point, the least I can do is finger one Simon O' Connor, co-curator of Winter @ Project, composer of anti-opera "Obegon" and guitar/glockenspielist for the jimmy Cake as one of the creative and lyrical axes of SMH, who brought Dublin such seminal classics as "Chayo" and 'the one where everybody gets arrested for kickin in windows, kickin car doors'. I still sing Chayo to myself whenever I buy Chinese food...

eh pete what sort of bands are you taking? are ye taking jaysushowarya-halfarsed-don'tgiveupthedayjob-releasednothingbutplayedloadsofgigs bands or jaysushowarya-halfarsed-don'tgiveupthedayjob-releasedsomethingandplayedloadsofgigs sort of bands? cos i've been loads of the former but none of the latter? is there a cut off point?

aah sure, what about bands that never really existed but had deadly ideas for names?

do they count?

yeah cause i was in a band with joe from connect four orchestra one night after a foo fighters gig, and also me and these guys i never saw before or after did an improv a capello gig one night in castlegar.

Niall mc Gurk didnt he do that fanzine called em..... something but it was one of the main freesheets in its day and then he ran off to france or something

you're getting your 'ex-legends of the scene' quite seriously muddled up there pat.

and shouldn't you be studying...?

ok then who was niall mcgurk did he run the hope collective and more to the point shouldnt you be studying and also isnt it ironic your use of the word muddled and more to the point im off studying again. its frying my brain

It was called "react", and I believe he also played bass in Not Our World.This I know because he loaned Padraic a bass once. Thus, if you were to do a tree, you could vaguely connect Niall to DEBT.

Whilst typing some zine stuff today,I have developed the "LOCUST personality test" incidentally. Brace yourselves.And no damien,you can't have a sneak preview.

jammybastid (09 May, 2001 08:54 p.m.):

Whilst typing some zine stuff today,I have developed the "LOCUST personality test" incidentally. Brace yourselves.And no damien,you can't have a sneak preview.

Does it include the question "Have you ever appeared on the Jerry Springer show?"

It better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back