into the wild (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
i liked it.
i thought emile hirsch did a good job at portraying a guy who clearly loved doling out advice and rarely taking it when he needed it the most.
the soundtrack had its moments but it was a bit too much eddie vedder overload at times..

I could have done without the voice over by the sister character and the Eddie Vedder. It was a bit slanted in scope too but that's what movies do. Alaskans are thinking of putting up a Starbucks stand next to the bus for all the visitors. Everyone's gotta survive. Great scenery though, it's a lovely part of the country.

I could have done without the voice over by the sister character and the Eddie Vedder. It was a bit slanted in scope too but that's what movies do. Alaskans are thinking of putting up a Starbucks stand next to the bus for all the visitors. Everyone's gotta survive. Great scenery though, it's a lovely part of the country.

i agree with the first point you make - mainly because i cant stand jena malone. the scenery was good too and i loved hol holbrook's vietnam vet character - but i found alexander supertramp to be a little cold, wouldn't you agree? bit too selfish...

is that true about starbucks? no....really?

i agree with the first point you make - mainly because i cant stand jena malone. the scenery was good too and i loved hol holbrook's vietnam vet character - but i found alexander supertramp to be a little cold, wouldn't you agree? bit too selfish...

is that true about starbucks? no....really?

It was a joke made by the guy who dropped him off in Alaska. I wouldn't be surprised though. A lot of Alaskans don't understand the treks people do to go see this bus. Basically the kid was an idiot and could have done several things to survive. Had he walked a few miles upstream from where he crossed the river (when it was frozen)....he would have been able to cross again. Smoke signals, etc. which are norms up there. He wasn't too far out -- only like 20 some miles or so. Apparently his stuff is still up there.

So you have a shitty childhood, lots of people do and don't go off the handle. Hard to make judgments on someone you don't know but I would put some belief to the idea he was schizophrenic, which has been speculated times over.

I was rather excited for the movie because going out somewhere by myself is something I have always wanted to do. I remember when they found him... I was heading off to college that fall and wanted nothing else but to get away from my parents and hometown. A friend of mine 2 years older went out and worked on fishing boats in Alaska. I so wanted to join but I remember the news story making me think twice.

i reckon there must have been something off with him. and he didnt even bring a map which would have shown him he was only 6 miles from safety.

stay aweay from those brown bear potato roots people!

i reckon there must have been something off with him. and he didnt even bring a map which would have shown him he was only 6 miles from safety.

stay aweay from those brown bear potato roots people!

They did tests...most people would have been able to stomach them and survive however since he had been eating only rice his system probably wasn't strong enough...or so they speculate. Most likely it was all in his head and he starved to death.

I saw this earlier on.. thought they did a decent job of making it gently engrossing viewing over a two hour period in which very little actually happens, it'd make a nice Sunday afternoon sort of film... A few too many kooky free-spirit types and a bit too much Eddie Vedder really, plus I agree that the voiceover was unnecessary.. the attempts to portray his 'dark' background as some kind of justification for his actions sort of weakened the premise of an unprepared suburban middle-class kid striking out into the wilderness for self-discovery, as a rejection of society or whatever... Also, the self-satisfied, golly-gee-whizz perma-grinning aspect to his character didn't really seem to fit with a guy who was running from his inner demons (as well as making him difficult to sympathise with). I was thinking that he seemed to be getting by in the wilderness a little too easily until the hardship\loneliness aspects finally kick in during the last 15 minutes, might've been more effective if the tougher side to life on the road was spread throughout the film a bit more. Still, worth seeing, I reckon, nice cinematography and some decent acting.

i saw this at a press conference with sean penn and emile hersch... thought it was total nonsense. penn projecting his romanticised 'road rat' self-image onto the story of a total chump. he tries to make it look like a terence malick film, and it just ends up looking like a shallow pastiche of a terence malick film, substituting any genuine emotional or spiritual questions with a bunch of tolstoy quotations and some sentimental cack involving old hippies, a singer songwriter, and some elderly 'dad i never had' macaroni and cheese.
one out of five!

I quite enjoyed this myself.

I didn't find Vedder's crooning too intrusive but agree with most above that the sister's narration was. That could have been used more sparingly ie. kept to the occasional pithy remark of hindsight and the reminiscence of their parents fighting.

Beautifully paced and shot with an fine ensemble cast but it tried to shoehorn some vague religious/spiritual theme in there which didn't work for me (mind you I liked the juxtaposition of Chris/Alex's beatific, skeletal face with his father's anguished confused face near the end).

Hal Holbrook for Best Supporting Oscar, no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back