• Thread starter IU
  • Start date
  • Replies 34
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 0

IU

Website
www.irishunsigned.com
I went to see Hothouse Flowers (with Revs and Sonora) last night in DCU, as a guest of the Ents Manager there. Had two yank friends with me - the show was excellent. Go see it as soon as you can! Absolutely fucking brilliant, especially if, like me, you thought they are past it. I would love to have that much energy at that age.....

actually i saw hothouse flowers play a coupla years back and they were really good i have to say.
not so sure bout the revs though

I am VERY sure about the Revs.

They are cunts. Sorry, CUNTS.

I WILL give them credit for that bastard tour of theirs: 26 gigs in 26 counties in three days.

This is the teacher who walked into the classroom on the first day of school and said:

"Lads, by the time ye are 21, three of you will be dead. That's a fact."

Nice guy.

egg_ (20 Feb, 2002 12:46 p.m.):
Hothouse Flowers at Feile 90 was one of the best gigs I was ever at. Almost 12 years of scorn from my cooler friends hasn't changed my mind, so don't YOU try

you mean there are people cooler than you in the world, egg?
i wouldnt have thought it possible.

:)

you dont look old enough to be a grown up, by the way.

Dan (20 Feb, 2002 01:50 p.m.):
I have a mate who likes the Revs...

Does anyone know is there a cure, some sort of remedy, anything, I'm desperate..I just want to help the poor guy

did you see the picture of them in Hot Press... the head shot of the three of them with no tops on, looking all, I don't know vacant, it scares the shit out of me!!!

me suspects their management have aimed the young pale boys of The Rev's at a market they won't be telling them about...

I HATE the hot house flowers,

I don't know why I just do, lump them in with Teh Saw Doctors as for as I'm concerned

saw doctors were the first band i ever really saw live, and i nearly fainted cause i was so tired with the jumping around in the shitty little tent with no air in donegal . then i saw u2 about a month later.

[1]i'll get my coat then shall I[/1]

Rockier and more covered in shite.

Not that Crowded House aren't a touch dun-coloured themselves, mind.

IU (20 Feb, 2002 07:02 p.m.):
Pantone247 (20 Feb, 2002 05:49 p.m.):
I HATE the hot house flowers,
I don't know why I just do, lump them in with Teh Saw Doctors as for as I'm concerned

That's just a lack of education. Theya re nothing LIKE SawDoctors. Like Crowded House but rockier - that's HHFlowers

[quote

That's just a lack of education. Theya re nothing LIKE SawDoctors. Like Crowded House but rockier - that's HHFlowers

My God, IU, that is *such* a condescending attitude. To ears that are used to listening to stuff that's a bit more, em, challenging on the ear than mainstream Irish rock, the Hothouse Flowers and the Saw Doctors can quite safely be filed away in the same compartment, the one marked "irish, sold lots of records, but shite". Most people on this board probably file Crowded House in a simliar compartment, but without the 'Irish' bit. Of course it's all a matter of taste, but your taste is obviously a lot more mainstream than most people who post on this board. But the majority of posters, Pantone included, seem to have a large and varied knowledge of music, so a lofty proclomation like that just makes you come across as a complete dick.

Lads I think this might be building to a 'the country vs. the city' type thing.

Whilst the HHFlowers were always muck I too must admit a certain.......eh......weakness let's say for the dr.s and there songs of the way-est. They're not as far up their own arse's as the flowers.
Granted the flowers have done loads on the speaking irish front and are into saving the planet.
Once again we fight about our opinions that aren't about to change.

Anne O'Malley (21 Feb, 2002 11:54 a.m.):
Doesn't mean we can't kick severdle shades of shite out of each other in the attempt, though.

(They don't call this Ire-land for nothing.)

Stephen (21 Feb, 2002 10:39 a.m.):

Once again we fight about our opinions that aren't about to change.

or I could just change my opinion erratically as I do in the real world.
So now I hate the Saw Doctors and I think the HHflowers had a couple of good tunes.

Lollo Rosso (21 Feb, 2002 10:31 a.m.):
[quote

My God, IU, that is *such* a condescending attitude. To ears that are used to listening to stuff that's a bit more, em, challenging on the ear than mainstream Irish rock, the Hothouse Flowers and the Saw Doctors can quite safely be filed away in the same compartment, the one marked "irish, sold lots of records, but shite". Most people on this board probably file Crowded House in a simliar compartment, but without the 'Irish' bit. Of course it's all a matter of taste, but your taste is obviously a lot more mainstream than most people who post on this board. But the majority of posters, Pantone included, seem to have a large and varied knowledge of music, so a lofty proclomation like that just makes you come across as a complete dick.

yeah!

what Lollo said!!

and BTW its not a "lack of education" its an "opinion"

facist

My brother loves the HHF's last few albums and because of that I've been exposed to them a bit. They're not the worst, they're not all baggy jumpers and "don't go" anymore. They aren't shite I aint got any of their albums won't be getting any and won't be going to see them live. Unlike some one like R Williams who IS SHITE.

Pantone247 (21 Feb, 2002 12:51 p.m.):
Lollo Rosso (21 Feb, 2002 10:31 a.m.):
[quote

yeah!

what Lollo said!!

and BTW its not a "lack of education" its an "opinion"

facist

is a facist someone who judges people based on their face?
:-D

me, I'm a comnumnist

I say, give to Caesar what is Caesar's

Give to the SawDocs what is the SawDocs'

Give to the Flowers...you get the gist

They have their fans, they work hard at their music. I don't identify with them, but they do appeal to some people - especially the Docs whose fans follow them with religious fervour.

They're not hoodwinking people into thinking they're something they're not, the way The Revs are, say (by posing as anti-establishment while being establishment pawns).

You might say "So they're honest, big schmeal, they're still crap".

You may be right.

You may very well be right.

You may say "All that trying to appeal to saddo pseudo hippy types and hurling fans is just posturing".

You may well be right there as well.

but "how can ye point at the mote in thy Hothouse Flowers eye without first seeing the plank in thy own?" and all that

"let he who is without smell of petchouli oil cast the first aspersion"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back