How the money from a CD sale is broken down (1 Viewer)

RED(tape)MENACE

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
Culled from this thread -
http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=8724

Not to sound flip, but, since most records don't get past the point where the expenses are recouped (and start paying actual royalties), it's almost a moot point as to what is "fair". Arguments over points are all the more silly when you consider that most of this arguing comes to naught. I've shared in the points on a number of projects I've engineered and co-produced; none has paid me any royalties.

Big problem. Points are paid out of the net, not the gross. This is why I am much more concerned, career-wise, with songwriting than producing (although producing is fun). Composing royalties are not figured against expenses; they are paid directly to the writer and "off the top", not after expenses (assuming that some performance royalties are generated by airplay, radio, TV, etc.).

As far as which parties receive which percentage of points, think of it this way -- if the combined artist and prodeucer points are 10, then the record company is keeping 90% of profits -- after expenses, which are paid solely by the artist and producer. How's that for unfair? You'd think that for 90% of the profits, they'd pay at least some of the expenses, if not 90% of them ...

... and that's just the beginning....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i may write more detailed later, but basically.
An artist or group is given a certain amount of points(percentage) in their record contract. Many times is esculates as the number sold does. (i.e. first 100,000, you receive 12points, 100,000-500,000, you receive 13points, 500,000 on up you receive 14points.

Producer points are usually deducted from artist/group points, which can be unfair.

As far as recoupment, typically, you just want a big advance, unless you plan on selling into the multiplatinum numbers.
Most contracts will roll the previous unrecouped amount into the next record. So if you recoup your first record, and one week later you take an advance and start making your next record, the profit will typically roll into recouping the next record, another year later, once again, same thing....

Money from CD sale broken down....

usually about $.80 (based on 10 songs, so $.08/per song) for writer/publisher royalties. Most record contracts have this capped out at 10 songs, so if the singer/songwriter 8songs, another writer writes 5 songs (for a total of 13songs), then the singer/songwriter may only get 5songs worth of publishing...from the record label. They can't shaft the actual outside party songwriter at all, but they can to their own artist.

Probably a $1.00 for pressing cd and artwork.

Label probably sell to distributor for about $5-$7. Distributor sells to retailer for about $9-$12

For a major label to put out a major artist for the first time, it's about a minimum of $1.5 million today.

I know it doesn't sound fair and all and that labels are screwing over people, and they have and probably always will, but labels aren't running away with as much money as you would think and they are taking huge risks.

And it's also pretty cool, how when you are signed and distributed through a major label, that on average you can like show up into a town rollin in on your 3-10 tour busses a few tractor trailers and set up shop in 35 cities as 3k-30k people show up at the arena or civic auditorium, or hall....and walk away with $50k-$500k + in one night net. Oh yeah, there is merch, that is pretty cool to. Maybe another $4k-$40k on top.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]everytime i think about money in the music business i think about a demo session of mine. a friend of mine who was a drummer in a notable alternative band was helping out. i had booked time in a small studio with a two-inch 16-track mci machine, decent board, good room, decent rack, passable mics. the engineer was good and the rate i was getting was $20 per hour. he kept grabbing me and saying, "we can make money on this project." he was a man possessed but i realized he'd made two cds and not seen a penny.

anyhow, my feeling is that your business model needs to be geared toward making cash off of something else but using recording as the entree. it might be something as simple as getting your songwriting royalties. it might be licensing. it might be live performance.
[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]--------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Been working w alot of indy rap labels from down south and labels who were once indy but got picked up by majors for a hefty 7 figures because they were scanning 40k units of each of their artists (ala David Banner). Most also get BDS spins. Some don't want a major deal. They clear $8-$9 a record and move 40k plus as an indy. Lil Jon's BME distr by TVT gets $6 a record and his current album is certified platinum- this led to his spin off label deal w/ WEA for that big 7 figures. A few more of them labels r on the horizon. Just w Indy you have to promote, promote, promote on ur own. City to city, grease a few major DJs & PDs, etc. Those who have the financial backing to do indy should- at least in the rap game.[/font]

Belgium speaking here :

everything is based on the SRLP (Suggested Retail List Price) for the record (distributors price) and not on what the end user pays in the store ... I've seen this mistake / misconception over and over.

A point is a percentage of this retail price .... as simple as that : 10 points = 10 %

now the math is MUCHO more complicated then that of course.

here's a few averages in points / deals over here in Belgium :

in an artist deal :

- artist / bands usually start at like 6 - 8 points. I've heard of less and more but averages are that. If they're lucky they get sliding scales ... meaning they're points go up with sales.

- producer gets 3 or 4 points.

License deal : the master is licensed to the rec company / usually by the management / producers who pay / invest in the redoring process.

- average license deal is 18 - 22 points but I've had one myself for 26 points with sliding scale to 30 points. those points are to be divided amongst the including parties : artists / management / producer ... whoever is in the deal. License deals in general leave a lot more room for discussion with the rec company. A common way to bring up license deal points is for example take active financial part in the promotional process ... or contribute financially in a video clip etc etc ....

distribution deal (my personal favourite) : basically you try to play rec company yourself. construct a solid team of management / promotional people / legal people / publishing etc etc ... and do it all yourself. IMVHO in a small country like belgium and in these days the only way to make money of the record industry. All you need is decent distribution (LOL ... that makes it sound simple). I give 18 points to the distributor on the SRLP.

Reality it is realy much more complicated then that.

Questions one should ask themselves are :

- Points on what exactly ? I've heard people bragging about a 16 point royalty where in reality they never saw a penny because the deal's break even was put way to high. Be carefull with those break even deals .... when is a record break even .... usually when the record company decides it is ... not you .... so 16 points of what ??? Record companies will subtract up to 25 % for packaging for example before they let you have something .... stuff like promotion is rather abstract and hard to put your finger on.

Also..similar to the albini article, but written by Courtney Love...

http://dir.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back