Housemate wont pay rent (1 Viewer)

whathappen?

hi
My housemate has informed me that she cannot pay the rent and so wont. I already paid my half.Both names are on the lease . She went to Threshods who told her they will probably give her 28 days notice. She already has a place lined up but I dont. Does anyone know if I will get my deposit back? What do I do now?

Bad buzz, ring the landlord yourself and talk through the situation. Depending on the T & C you might lost the deposit but hopefully they are reasonable people and you can sort something out. Pretty slack of your housemate though...

you need to check on the contract to see if you are 'joint and severally liable'. if not, then you both have individual contracts with the landlord and you're sorted. if you are (and you probably are if you moved in together and signed the same document) then the landlord has the option of holding you accountable for shortfalls in the rent.

however you would not have to accept notice to quit (you can't be evicted) if you are still within a contracted rental period. if the landlord demands that you pay the shortfall, she will have to take you to court if you refuse and show that she has made reasonable efforts to find a replacement tenant. if you can find a replacement tenant that would really help.

finally, if the landlord does demand that you pay the shortfall, you could take a claim against your housemate for the value, so long as you can prove what she's done.

You're such a great solicitor, Bernard.
Why take up philosophy?
Are you planning on taking Existence to court?

why thanks oly
i used to work in a tenant's advice centre

i actually study critical legal theory, which is basically continental philosophy, social theory, kafka, and a big giant headache

aw man, claire that's awful!!!! :(
ugh, renting with people sucks balls, it really does. It's each person for their own. I hope you get your money back!!

so true... as Slipknot say...

51338~SlipKnot-People-equal-Shit-Posters.jpg

Philosophy is for people who find arguing over semantics somewhat satisfying.

Aha! But what does it MEAN for a chair to be whole?
If the chair is cut into pieces, IS IT STILL A CHAIR?
It does not function as a chair.
So what does it become?
Mere wood?
Does it still have the potential to be 'chairful'?
What does it mean to have 'chairness'?

Fuck philosophy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back