Herald Apartment Competition (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
The Evening Herald is running this competition to win an apartment in Dublin.
The lowest bid (that is not repeated by anybody else) wins.

There are a possible 100 bids between 0 and 1 Euro
There are a possible 1000 bids between 1 and 10 Euro etc

You need 10 tokens to make a single bid (1 token in each paper)
To cover all options between 0 and €1 will cost you 1000 tokens = €1000

I want to win this.
Whats the odds of all possible bids of between 0 and €5 being used by more than one person or syndicate?
That 500 possible bids, costing €5,000

The Herald claims to have €80,000 readers everyday.

This is far too hard.
Anybody do Maths/ Stats in college?

This changes things completely,

I wouldn't even bother with anything under €10. Off the top of my head I'd say......500 random numbers between €500 and €10000, avoiding numbers ending in 0.
What was the winning bid last time? You can expect those sales of the her'ild to triple at least for this competition.

it's in park west, in an enormous soon to be ghetto of faceless massive blocks bordering the M50 and backing onto many industrial estates and a prison.
you don't want to win it.

Yes I do Kirstie, yes I do.
In fairness, its probably the best chance most of us have of getting a gaff of our own in this odd odd odd city.

kirstie said:
it's in park west, in an enormous soon to be ghetto of faceless massive blocks bordering the M50 and backing onto many industrial estates and a prison.
you don't want to win it.

Yeah, but I want to win it and sell it. That goes against the spirit of the games but still...

seanc said:
This changes things completely,

I wouldn't even bother with anything under €10. Off the top of my head I'd say......500 random numbers between €500 and €10000, avoiding numbers ending in 0.
What was the winning bid last time? You can expect those sales of the her'ild to triple at least for this competition.

Yeah, but, if a syndicate covered all the options between 1 cent- €500 that would mean 50,000 bids which would require 500,000 herald tokens, which would be inpossible to collect by end of April.

I remember sleeping through Permutations and Combinations in Maths in the Leavin'. Maybe Kirstie is right....

I think you'd be better of down the bookies, if you're thinkin of putting this much effort into it. seriously.

oh, and what Anal H said.

Jimcorr said:
Yeah, but, if a syndicate covered all the options between 1 cent- €500 that would mean 50,000 bids which would require 500,000 herald tokens, which would be inpossible to collect by end of April.

I remember sleeping through Permutations and Combinations in Maths in the Leavin'. Maybe Kirstie is right....

Last year I stupidly collected the tokens for the 'Highest Bid' auction they had. I collected away and thought I was in with some kind of chance (we get 2 poxy heralds in work everyday, my colleagues even started to give me the coupons they collected at the weekend..). Anyway, some whore of a developer/multimillionaire spent something like 20k buying copies of the Herald and won the fucking competition.

The exact same thing will happen this year. It's a load of me arse. And I'll be renting for the rest of my days.

the probably lies not in the feasibility of getting 5000 heralds, that's easy. nor is it in the likelyhood of getting a low bid between 0 and 10 euro. the likelyhood of other syndicates entering is the problem. you need a carefully thought out model to determine what they will spend on this.

or, you spend 150,000 on it and make 150,000 on the competition. in fact, if you set up a business specifically to win the competition, got a loan for 200,000 for the business and won the competition. you'd still be pretty well off. to gaurantee winning you have to bid in single-cent increments up your given investment limit, and then it's simply a matter of out-spending everyone else.

there's probably a better way to get 150,000's worth of tokens though.

you gotta think big people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back