help needed looking for driver for uk tour (1 Viewer)

Website
www.kidblunt.com
Kid Blunt and Langdon Beck are hopefully going on a nice long UK tour in June/July but we have one big and seemingly unresolvable problem - drivers, or a driver. Yes although we come from the affluent south suburb of Kilcoole where we get driven in golden coaches from here to there, we still can't get anyone to drive a van around Britland for us... So can anyone help by either;

Driving us (unlikely)
Giving us the name of someone who'll drive us (slightly less unlikely)
Giving us some contact numbers or website addresses for people who do this in England... (Actually quite likely)

It would mean so much to us...

Info -
8 people + gear
End of June, Beginning of July for about 2 weeks
Scotland, Wales and England
Will pay handsomely (as handsome as we can get)

your situation sucks to be sure, and i think it sparks an interesting issue... anyone have any idea on what the deal is with insurance on vans? Bands in Ireland (that we care about) would do so much better if they could sort out transport.
We only got around last year cos Leo being the God that he is offered to drive for us.
So anyone know what rules there are regarding insurance?
I heard you have to have had a years insurance on your own car (as a first named driver to get insurance on a van). And you have to be 25 to rent a van for a couple of days. Its almost impossible. Been trying to look into getting one of those people carrier cars and taking out the back row of seats or something, any suggestions?

good luck with getting a driver and the tour.

legally in the UK you only have to be 21 to rent a van but most hire places wont do it unless you're 25 and all that guff. however paper cut out found a place in newcastle that hires them to over 21s. and apparently a lot of bands will lend you cabs and drums in exchange for new heads on them when you're done and stuff like that. and with cheap flights to newcastle, a plan was hatched...

it fucking sucks the way this whole thing works... i mean in america there are bands driving the length of the country in vans at the ages of 18 or 19 with no insurance and all that craic.

the only way we've been able to get a van for our english tour in September is through the band we're touring with, and that's only cos they're over 25...

bastards

maybe try posting on fracture? I know a couple of pple who do this for a living in England but you probably couldn't afford them (£100stg+ per day) there's DIY pple around who used to do it a lot cheaper but unfortunately I'm out of the loop these days on who they might be...

its just so easy for american bands to get known cos they can tour so easily. apart from getting a van, "gas" is really cheap over there, and they pay no insurance, (i think a percentage from every gas sale goes towards a national insurance fund or something??) and you can start driving at 16/17.

When I lost my job there a couple of years back and was told I'd get some redundancy I was considering seriously getting a van and doing that tour stuff for a living and the craic obviously. My idea was a transit with maybe 6 seats and space for a backline, cos as the lads said its a pain in the hole every time a band wants to tour to get the transport organised.

I ended up getting another desk job allowing me to surf the web all day so the van idea went out the window then. Somebody should consider doing it though cos I reckon you could squeeze a living out of it if you were willing to do courier jobs during the offtime as well

might be able to help

My mate Eamonn has a full licence and even full psv licence is 25 years of age and often rents cars for mini road trips we do. What's the story with transport? Do you have a van, or gonna rent one or whatever?

Anyway I'll give him Dara from Langdon Beck's number and I'll see if he fancies doing it.

=Lam=

maybe if youse lads spent a little less time reclaiming the streets and more time getting your drivers licences, your ma might loan you the car and you'd be able to DIY!

andrew

ps - PSYTHSYCHEEEEE

Listen here M Bison, why yo dissin reclaim the streets?! Its a meaningful cause, if we didn't do it, the government would take over completely. What exactly do yo mean bout our ma's and shit? Fuck you. My mother works hard to have her fucking car, so she doesn't have to give it over cause you says so. I'm diy and I'm proly more diy than you'll ever be. Your whas wrong with this town, you think your right but your wrong and shit. ppl here tryin to help an all yo doin is stoppin it.

hey steve thanks for the zine. wont be around for the kid blunt gigs this weekend as i'm cork bound.

I put in more yesterday. Is it true about the 40 year old woman buying it, cause I could get into that shit, you know, start aiming it more towards that demographic, getting all the more mature birds hot and wet and all... I don't know, It's a thought.

It's true! I went in last friday and boz was workin. I asked him if there was any copies and he just pointed at this oul one and giggled. She was loving it! She ended up buying it and asked boz if the guy who wrote it was 'schizophrenic or a little bit mad or something'. I couldn't believe it! A round of applause for you.

When knifed played england a while ago,we brought guitars and heads etc and borrowed cabs and stuff over there. The van and driver was all sorted out through old mates etc and we got a good deal on that,meaning we covered our costs. the fact that I had been over before in previous bands and people seemed to know of us helped a lot. It's always going to be difficult to start with but a bit of perseverance should hopefully pay off. Having some mates over there that can help is a massive bonus and i wouldnt know where to start without having that advantage. As Tommy said get on the feracture forum and hype the tour/bands as much as possible,get mates to put follow up posts on there so as people will be familiar with the band names. Anyway,good luck and I'll look for posts on fracture...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back