(Happy Birthday) Bored in Work 53 (1 Viewer)

minka said:
am i alone in my complete lack of interest in all things harry potter?

not at all at all. boooorrrring. actually i'm just put off by the boarding school englishness of it all. i'm usually a big sci-fi/fantasy head.

The 'Bored in Work' thread. Its just turned 53 weeks old, so bring out the chocolate rice krispie buns and the jelly and icecream and the red lemonade and the balloons and ribbons and the party favours and the piñata and the sherbert dib-dab and the refresher bars and the cola bottles and the chomp bars, yay!

lorcanzo said:
i have sunburn, heat rash and shit loads of mosquito bites.
apperently, i've got sweet blood.

must be the gastroentraitis.
That's a bummer. I've got nappy rash. :p

conor said:
actually i'm just put off by the boarding school englishness of it all.
If you're not put off by the hype, chances are you'll be put off by the setting ... kinda like hating Steely Dan cos of the CLEAN sound
In 50 years time you'll be reading the books to your grandchildren and thinking 'Holy shit how did I miss out on this first time around'. Something to look forward to

egg_ said:
If you're not put off by the hype, chances are you'll be put off by the setting ... kinda like hating Steely Dan cos of the CLEAN sound
In 50 years time you'll be reading the books to your grandchildren and thinking 'Holy shit how did I miss out on this first time around'. Something to look forward to

I look forward to getting into Harry Potter books when I'm a grandfather, not before. However, I still play with Star Wars figures.

I agree, I think Minka looks like Harry Potter. Ooops, that'll get me in trouble.

lmd64 said:
The 'Bored in Work' thread. Its just turned 53 weeks old, so bring out the chocolate rice krispie buns and the jelly and icecream and the red lemonade and the balloons and ribbons and the party favours and the piñata and the sherbert dib-dab and the refresher bars and the cola bottles and the chomp bars, yay!

ice cream cake
pass the parcel
fuzzy felt

At 10pm on Friday night last, I was trying, with great difficulty and much muffled cursing, to assemble a cardboard stand in which to display a small fraction of our harry potter stock. We got 503 copies,m which is substantial for such a titchy bookshop. Then we filled a table with the books and headed home. I felt like an elf, or at least a parent, leaving toys for kids to discover in the morning. When we returned at 9am on saturday a queue of childrena dn adults awaited. We made them wait a little, just for the fun. I could see many many little feet stamping below the half-raised shutter.

Anyway, we only have 200 odd left now which isn't bad for a suburban shop.

Just thought you'd like to get the view from 'the other side' mwhuh huh huh etc

But for anyone that doesn't believe that media hype has inflated the book to disproportionate levels, answer me this: Why is it that when the previous HP book, the goblet of fire, came out, the manager only needed to order 10 copies, as opposed to FIVE HUNDRED AND FOUR this time around?

Hmm?

F

nlgbbbblth said:
yes
how's the new surroundings

I can assemble a TV

Not that people really care, but they're smashing. Quiet; spaceous; modern-yet-traditional; lots of room for creativity and plenty of space for relaxation; no cockroaches; near enough to Mespil Road (for the prozzies); straight-friendly... it's all good.

Unlike what most people think, Herv seems to be alright - when not off his face on drugs (which happens every Monday morning, Wednesday afternoon and Saturday evening apparently). Makes great spuds too... again, when not off his face on drugs.

egg_ said:
If you're not put off by the hype, chances are you'll be put off by the setting ... kinda like hating Steely Dan cos of the CLEAN sound.

you're prolly right. i'm reading northern lights at the moment though and not hating it but not really getting into it either. i think iain m banks and william gibson destroyed my taste for more straight forward stuff. i sorta enjoy not knowing what the hell is going on for a few chapters. like listening to autechre. :p

conor said:
i'm reading northern lights at the moment though and not hating it but not really getting into it either.

i really liked the philip pullman books meself - i was a bit unsure at first as well, and then got completely hooked about half way through northern lights. the harry potter books just seem a bit fluffy/kiddy in comparison (caveat: not that i've read them, but god knows that's never stopped anyone pontificating here before), and i'll admit to being put off by the hype as well.

A young schizophrenic named Struther,
When told of the death of his brother,
Said: "Yes, it's too bad,
But I can't feel too sad --
After all, I still have each other."

oh, and one other thing that I can't say enough

Harry Potter is for kids.

rumpus said:

ha ha Wil got slagged by one of my co-workers when he was buying his copy.

em.. ha ha

roxy said:
At 10pm on Friday night last, I was trying, with great difficulty and much muffled cursing, to assemble a cardboard stand in which to display a small fraction of our harry potter stock. We got 503 copies,m which is substantial for such a titchy bookshop. Then we filled a table with the books and headed home. I felt like an elf, or at least a parent, leaving toys for kids to discover in the morning. When we returned at 9am on saturday a queue of childrena dn adults awaited. We made them wait a little, just for the fun. I could see many many little feet stamping below the half-raised shutter.

Anyway, we only have 200 odd left now which isn't bad for a suburban shop.

Just thought you'd like to get the view from 'the other side' mwhuh huh huh etc

But for anyone that doesn't believe that media hype has inflated the book to disproportionate levels, answer me this: Why is it that when the previous HP book, the goblet of fire, came out, the manager only needed to order 10 copies, as opposed to FIVE HUNDRED AND FOUR this time around?

Hmm?

F

Yes, but what if we harnessed the power of the global conglomerate marketing machine for good instead of for evil?
For example, i have no qualms naming my next (read first) album as "Harry Potter and the Rockers of the Casbah", if it means that I can shift a few hundred thousand extra copies to addle-brained parents of 8-year-old kiddy-fantasy nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back