Good Films Unavailable On DVD (1 Viewer)

Mitchum

Just realized that Mike Leigh's 'Naked' never got a dvd release. Shameful-it's one of the finest British movies.

Similar fate for Jean Eustace's 'The Mother & The Whore' although I picked up an Artifical Eye VHS copy in Lazer a few years back.

Any other great films yet to get the dvd treatment?

I have Naked on DVD - Criterion edition.

Surely that counts?
Isn't that a Region 1 only disc?
Seems a bit odd that such an Anglo-centric film should be only available in that format...but yup, after a bit of research I noticed it had been available elsewhere.

Ditto Kusturica's 'Time Of The Gypsies'-arguably his finest and at the moment only available in R1 format.
Wieeeerd.

Isn't that a Region 1 only disc?
Seems a bit odd that such an Anglo-centric film should be only available in that format...but yup, after a bit of research I noticed it had been available elsewhere.

I don't mind region 1 only stuff. Often cheaper - aside from Criterions which are rarely discounted.

I bought three Mike Leigh sets off Amazon a while ago - nine films in total - only one of which was available on region 2 (Abigail's Party). Nuts In May is in the set but the region 2 DVD is long deleted.

I've never seen that 'Rolling Thunder' flick. Must see if it's up on Karragara. Love William Devane in Hitch's 'Family Plot' though. Yer classic 1970s smooth villian.

Just remember 'Candy Mountain' directed by Rudy Wurlitzer. Same guy who wrote the screenplay for 'Two Lane Blacktop' and 'Pat Garret & Billy The Kid'. Really good road movie-similar in style to Jarmusch.

Has 'Charlie Varrick' been released on R2 yet?

another

Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush

The best versions of Minder on DVD are the region 4 Australian sets released by Umbrella.

Feature the appropriate Christmas / standalone episodes
All original opening idents and adcaps (end of part 1, part 2, end of part 2, part 3)
Commentaries
Decent supplementary extras.

The UK Clearvision releases are a disgrace.
The adcaps have been crudely removed, the picture quality is dull and there are minimal extras.

I've never seen that 'Rolling Thunder' flick. Must see if it's up on Karragara. Love William Devane in Hitch's 'Family Plot' though. Yer classic 1970s smooth villian.

Just remember 'Candy Mountain' directed by Rudy Wurlitzer. Same guy who wrote the screenplay for 'Two Lane Blacktop' and 'Pat Garret & Billy The Kid'. Really good road movie-similar in style to Jarmusch.

Has 'Charlie Varrick' been released on R2 yet?

Rolling Thunder - Film Four showed it a few years ago. Curiously was shown in 4:3. Maybe it was shot like this

Not seen Candy Mountain - sounds good.

Charley Varrick - not on region 2. Region 1 DVD is around $6 and is in 4:3 which I believe is the correct aspect ratio. Television broadcasts have 'forced widescreen'

Change the name of this thread to:
Good Films Available On Region 1 DVD And Not On Region 2 As Of Yet

seul contre tous never got a r2 dvd release did it? at least not a english subtitled version... or did it?

I drove myself mad looking for naked on dvd for years, and indeed as nlgbbbbth pointed out it only got a r1 release a few years back. expensive if I remember. don't go near r1 dvds anymore. there's a torrent out there floating around... but I'll definitely pick it up if it's coming out in r2. amazing movie.

not exactly high art but... seems you couldn't get meet the feebles for a long time unless you bought a spanish or german version. el mundo delirante de los feebles! that's probably changed now though.

Sidney Lumet's 'The Hill' with Sean Connery is criminally not available on r1 DVD. A masterpiece.

hill1965dvdr.jpg

me wantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back