gary higgins (1 Viewer)

Charlie Bucket

dc295bump.jpg

gettin re-released on drag city.....​

"There's also a thoughtful cover of Gary Higgins' folk classic, "Thicker Than a Smokey" from the 1973 album, Red Hash, which was recorded briefly before he went to prison on a two-year, nine-month sentence for possession of marijuana. Chasny's take perhaps lacks the distant small-town melancholia of the original, but when he sings its haunting opening-- "What do you intend to do young man? Where do you intend to go?"-- there are still chills. Chasny has often covered it live and decided to "throw it on the record to put the word out so we could find Gary Higgins." In fact, Zach Cowie at Drag City started writing all the Gary Higgins' he could find and eventually located the red-haired folkie, who just signed a contract with Drag City to reissue his lost 1973 masterpiece."​

great album (thanks andy). didn't know it was being reissued. new six organs album is deadly too.

MONDOBRUTALE said:
bet you hadn't even heard of it prior to the six organs cover

andrew
only got the six organs new one yesterday so i'd heard it from you first! didn't know bout the cover before yesterday. didn't know shit bout gary higgins before you posted the album either. a wierd higgins week all round.

ddmurph said:
only got the six organs new one yesterday so i'd heard it from you first! didn't know bout the cover before yesterday. didn't know shit bout gary higgins before you posted the album either. a wierd higgins week all round.

i meant yer wan

anyway deadly albumnen
andrew

fair review
that album was my xmas soundtrack for real
'thicker than a smokery' = best song...ever?! nah - totally great though

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back