GALWAY ::Flower/Corsano duo// Wölflinge+Paul Hegarty// Fuaimbhac (1 Viewer)

Wölflinge

Website
www.vickylangan.com
This gig takes place during the Galway Arts Festival on Monday the 20th of July. €1. of each entry fee goes to the Free Gaza Movement.

De Burgos
8pm

+ + + + +
FlowerCorsano+Duo+flowercorsanoduo.jpg

Flower-Corsano Duo:

Flower-Corsano Duo is an acutely musical collaboration between kinetic drummer Chris Corsano and Vibracathedral Orchestra's Mick Flower on shaahi baaja (Japanese banjo). As a two-piece they conjure, sweat and divine a music that elevates through rhythm and ecstatic harmonics. It's a sound that's intimate and epic, raw and tender. The dynamic is great. Eastern harmonics laced with a thrilling sense of discordance and melody. An explosive sight/sound that shudders the body and colours the mind.

Michael Flower is best known as a member of Leed's Vibracathedral Orchestra, a lynch pin of the improvising rock/noise/drone world. He has also played and released with artists such as Tony Conrad, Sunburned Hand Of The Man, MV&EE and his own Michael Flower Band. In this guise Mick picks up his electric shaahi baaja. Discussing his use of the instrument Michael says, "I suppose I'm just jamming my own versions of ragas. Hopefully there's a similar purity there, although a more naive/ham-fisted one in the music I play. When I was a teenager we used to listen to the Velvet Underground, Indian classical, flute music of Papua New Guinea, primitive blues. I guess all the music I make is vaguely informed by that period." His playing can be overloaded and pins you to the ground or blissfully graceful even holy, his expansive sound lifting you to higher levels.

Chris Corsano's drumming has to be seen to be fully appreciated. An 'into the void' musician who collaborates with a huge range of artists and can still pull off mad solo shit. It is a rare drummer that can hold his own with his customized kit, clatter practice and circular breathing drone exhortations but retain a dynamic and structure that works. He also self-releases a CD of distorted and spiked keyboard pieces on the Hot Cars Warp label to confuse those who try to pin him down. Loose-limbed, intense, even melodic, he exposes the audience to sounds and rhythms that defy normality. He moves light footed around the world sparking off into all kinds of collaborations playing with/alongside Jim O'Rouke, the Dimension X project, Sonic Youth, Sunburned Hand Of The Man, Bjork, Mick Beck, Okkyung Lee, Evan Parker and Bill Nace among many.

+ + + + + + + +

bearbm.jpg

Wölflinge + Paul Hegarty:

"Queen Bee of Irish noise" and author of 'Noise/Music A History' (Continuum)...

Noise/ Art/ Noise Art

+ + + + +
m_c092df82be4c4c528fbf0b144f6cd393.jpg

c.jpg

Fuaimbhac: Breaking sound barriers with Anne Marie Deacy ((Mirakil Whip)) and Vicky Langan.

+ + + + + + + + +
The Inedible Contraband (open improv session)

. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ghosttown is a nomadic new music and film event, thus far taking place in three venues around Galway, though we should be housed regularly in De Burgo's, Augustine St. with frequent sojourns to the Galway Social Space, Middle St. from here on in. Our aim is to provide a space for film screenings and music performance and collaboration to co-exist. Our objective is to screen mostly, though not strictly, documentaries of a societal or political theme, which we outright argue (before you do) can literally be anything. At each Ghosttown event, the film screening is followed by music, again of no strict description, anything with conviction that may not get a look-in elsewhere... We also allocate a slot at each event where musicians can improvise together. Our idea is to provide a platform for local musicians to jam together, while also encouraging that anyone we've actually booked to come and play would join in this session too. €1. of each entry goes to the Free Gaza Movement.

www.myspace.com/galwayghosttown
www.myspace.com/solnigerire

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back