pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Got his email from laura this morning:

My friend Garry is hoping to release his Dublin photo book titled 'where were you!' this year. The book documents 40 years of youth culture and street style in Dublin starting in the 1960's. Punks, Mods, Rudeboys, New Romantics, Smith heads, Cure Heads, Smelly Crusties you name it every style is in it. At the moment he has a fundraising page going on the irish crowd funding site Fundit.

http://www.fundit.ie/browse/search/?s=where+were+you&searchsection=projects

If you pledge some money you can get some lovely rewards including a copy of the book. I feel it would be a shame for an archive of such great photos to go to waste. I have collected many photos over the last few years for Garry that will be going into the book so I would really like to see the book released. Thankfully there are none of me!!(I hope) My other friend Niall Mc Cormack (www. hitone.ie)has done all the graphics and layout for the book. I've had a few sneaky looks at the finished article and it looks brilliant. Niall did all the lovely artwork for Derrick's bands over the year. This really is a labour of love for Niall & Garry. As both of them have been a great personal help to me and Julie in the last two years I would like to return the favour by helping them out as best I can in their fundraising endeavours.

At this stage I'm asking for your help also. The book will cost €13,000 to be published with a run of 1000 copies. They have a crowd funding page going. The deal with this is that they want to raise €6500 towards printing costs and the closing date is Monday week. As this is Easter Monday and people might be away etc, I'm counting the closing date as this Thursday. At the moment they have raised 40% of their target. If you pledge money in advance you can get different types of rewards. It is all listed on their fundit page. The minimum donation is 5 yo yo's.

Basically you are just paying for the book in advance to ensure that they can go ahead and send the book to the publishers. You will receive a copy of the book in a few months time if you can pledge €25. This may work out cheaper than buying the book afterwards when it hits the shops.

I love the whole DIY ethic behind the book, process and the fact that we can all make it happen. If however, with Fundit if they don't meet their target by Monday week they will not receive any money from donators. It's all or nothing, baby. A documentary is going to be made also based around the book. This is going to be done by Still Films who made The Pyjama Girls. They also need to raise money so the money raised will be split between the two overlapping projects.

Please help if possible. If you have pledged already please ignore this email (or dig deeper if you can afford it) Please send the details on to anyone you know. You never know by the end of the year it could be one of us trying to collect money for a creative project! In these hard times it's good to know we are helping our friends out.

If anyone would like to give but does not have a credit card please let me know. Alternatively there is a collection going in Anseo pub on Camden Street. A know your Dublin quiz will be held in Anseo shortly will all proceeds going to the project.

If you donate you won't all have to buy me an Easter egg this year, I'll let you away with it!

Let's hope we can make this happen and get that warm fuzzy feeling that it states on their fundit page!

Over and out.

Thanks

Laura

http://www.fundit.ie/browse/search/?s=where+were+you&searchsection=projects

https://www.facebook.com//Where-Were-You/#!/pages/Where-Were-You/135202376551222

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwmLCARUsQ

I've thrown a chunk of this month's ad money into the kitty. You're next.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I feel it would be a shame for an archive of such great photos to go to waste. I have collected many photos over the last few years for Garry that will be going into the book so I would really like to see the book released.

Someone tell this guy about Flickr Pro accounts.

I know some people in the book. In fact, I better be in it myself! I am youth culture

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back