Frank McCourt (1 Viewer)

He gets his comeuppance here in fine style
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That Gerry Hannon guy should stop going on about Frank McCourt, and start going about suing fellow Limerick man Jon Kenny, who obviously stole his image for several of his comic characters, especially the TV presenter from Father Ted Song for Europe episode.

I'd be wary of telling anyone with an alcoholic parent that in reality things were better for them than they are pretending.

It's possible that McCourt had a worse childhood than was normal in Limerick at the time, given that his father was an alcoholic, but honestly I don't think his experiences were that unusual.

I think the bitterness and begrudgery over the book comes from
A. people who think he disloyal to his mother to write about their experiences.
B. People who would rather not be reminded of how bad things were
C. Hysterical rosary clutching lunatics who's memories of that time involve Morris Monors and the Redemptorist's Novena and are scandalised by the idea that there was sex in Limerick.

I'd be wary of telling anyone with an alcoholic parent that in reality things were better for them than they are pretending.

It's possible that McCourt had a worse childhood than was normal in Limerick at the time, given that his father was an alcoholic, but honestly I don't think his experiences were that unusual.

I think the bitterness and begrudgery over the book comes from
A. people who think he disloyal to his mother to write about their experiences.
B. People who would rather not be reminded of how bad things were
C. Hysterical rosary clutching lunatics who's memories of that time involve Morris Monors and the Redemptorist's Novena and are scandalised by the idea that there was sex in Limerick.
I don't know about that. I've heard people on about it and some of them fall into the "things weren't that bad" category, but lots of others say that things were exactly that bad but that he was economical with the truth in the specific events he said happened.

I don't know about that. I've heard people on about it and some of them fall into the "things weren't that bad" category, but lots of others say that things were exactly that bad but that he was economical with the truth in the specific events he said happened.

Everyone is going to have a different perspective on events witnessed, and any recollection of childhood events is going have a child's eye view of those events. It is a memoir after all and not a work of social history.

As a rule I'd say - no one really knows what goes on behind anyone else's front door, no matter how much they think they do.

It sounded like Joe Duffy being broadcast from a mental hospital.

we were out on the beer one night and we stood outside no.1 o connell grill looking up at the RLO studios across the road. one of the lads rang hannon and told him to look out the window and we'd wave at him.
his head popped up and we all went mental waving.

all this went out live on air. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back