Film night out! (2 Viewers)

carmell

Film Night out Thursday 14th October (date change)

at dayana's , ella's etc house in phibsboro at 7.30pm.

1st showing : Death of an idealist ( documentary)

Rodrigo Vasquez’ film about Rachel Corrie, the American killed by an Israeli bulldozer in Gaza .

2nd showing: Love on the Dole

149986m.jpg

A stylish British drama which studies love and life in a depressed industrial town in Northern England. Deborah Kerr stars in this vividly characterised story of a penniless family struggling through the depression years. Kerr is a mill girl in love with Evans who loses his job and refuses to marry her on "dole money". He is killed in a demonstration against conditions and unemployment, so Kerr marries an old bookie she doesn't love in order to get jobs for her father and brother. This picture is realistic in its portrayal of poverty-stricken families, and although a depressing subject, the writers manage to insert some well-timed humour into the script with sepia-tinted photography capturing the North Country atmosphere and its poverty.

This film is one of the most moving and significant films ever made in Britain.
A stylish British drama which studies love and life in a depressed industrial town in Northern England. Deborah Kerr stars in this vividly characterised story of a penniless family struggling through the depression years. Kerr is a mill girl in love with Evans who loses his job and refuses to marry her on "dole money". He is killed in a demonstration against conditions and unemployment, so Kerr marries an old bookie she doesn't love in order to get jobs for her father and brother. This picture is realistic in its portrayal of poverty-stricken families, and although a depressing subject, the writers manage to insert some well-timed humour into the script with sepia-tinted photography capturing the North Country atmosphere and its poverty.

starts at 7.30 , bring along some popcorn / food .

carmell said:
A stylish British drama which studies love and life in a depressed industrial town in Northern England.
ok 'british', 'drama', 'depressed', and 'industrial' are words i would associate with northern england or a film about the shithole but 'stylish'?

Ever see Stephen King's film "the langoliers"? Now there's a film.

I found some dodgy video in a skip once called The Mutronics. It's got yer man who played Luke SKywalker in it and claims to have 'breathtaking' special effects and 3D sequences. It was made in 1985 though, so I don't know what meaning of the word 'breathtaking' this film would incur.

[Incur]? Is that a word?

I haven't watched it yet though. I want to save it. The unwatchedness of it lends a special mysticysm or some bollox.

Think it was called four past midnight (the book that is), reading it really gave me the creeps, whereas
the langoliers in the film just looked pathetic.
Actually all the stories in that book where pretty good.

Napalm said:
The whole night sounds like 'edge of the seat'.

Zzzzzzzzz

fucking cheers for knocking an effort made to do something which doesnt involve spending money or making profit,:mad: .

Do i see you doing anything??

Ricky Gervais - Animals..

Now there's something worth watching.. This thread is gas.

Corm said:
The lagoliers - I thought it was shit...the book is good though, waaay better, you should check it.
Yeh, I thought anyone who's seen the film would realise I wasn't entirely serious in saying how good it was. Youse are all tic.

I'd like to give that book a read someday, maybe I'll get around to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back