Endings (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Does anybody get annoyed at inconclusive endings in books?

I gave my sister a few Paul Auster books to read and she enjoyed them but was really annoyed at all of the endings, where usually the main character, just jumps into his car and drives off. I gave her a Muarakami book, knowing she'd feel the same way.. and she did!

Any other books with infuriating endings that I can throw her way....?

Jimcorr said:

I gave my sister a few Paul Auster books to read and she enjoyed them but was really annoyed at all of the endings, where usually the main character, just jumps into his car and drives off. I gave her a Muarakami book, knowing she'd feel the same way.. and she did!

Any other books with infuriating endings that I can throw her way....?
what paul auster books did you give her? he's a bit of a bastard like that alright.

Jimcorr said:
Music of Chance, Moon Palace and New York Trilogy....
Three of my favourite books ever!

It doesn't hugely bother me, but yeah, he does leave you slightly unsatisfied.
give her oracle night as well. i think that's the one where the lad locks himself into the room by mistake and you never find out how or if he gets out. all very postmodern.

i've been doing my masters thesis on paul auster for about a month now and i'm starting to feel the beginnings of a deathwish towards him.

Super Dexta said:
give her oracle night as well. i think that's the one where the lad locks himself into the room by mistake and you never find out how or if he gets out. all very postmodern.

i've been doing my masters thesis on paul auster for about a month now and i'm starting to feel the beginnings of a deathwish towards him.

That sounds very cool Super Dexta
You should end it mid sentence.

The poor fella though. I presume you once pretty much adored him?

Jimcorr said:
That sounds very cool Super Dexta
You should end it mid sentence.

The poor fella though. I presume you once pretty much adored him?
yeah. in the early days. my thesis is on his use of illness, and i am - irony of ironies - heartily sick of him. i think once i get the chapter i'm writing at the moment out of the way though, things will get more interesting.

Jimcorr said:

Just finished Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland. Spent two weeks reading the first 220 pages, decided I was sick of the style of writing but wanted to get to the end, so belted through the last 180 pages in one sitting.

Kinda wish I hadn't now. Not exactly inconclusive, just disappointing.

THRILLHO said:
Just finished Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland. Spent two weeks reading the first 220 pages, decided I was sick of the style of writing but wanted to get to the end, so belted through the last 180 pages in one sitting.

Kinda wish I hadn't now. Not exactly inconclusive, just disappointing.

That was the one that got my sister too. But I really like it.
You pick up a few things on the 2nd or 3rd reading, if you could bring yourself to doing so. Not a lot mind..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back