(Emotional) Maturity? (2 Viewers)

Squiggle

Born-again non-smoker
Supporter
Website
www.myspace.com
Having had several similar conversations with various friends lately I am curious to hear what Thumped has to say.

Loosely the subjects of children, marriage, home ownership and "settling down" came up and all my friends (aged late 20's to late 30's) expressed the feeling that they weren't ready yet.

I have 2 younger siblings who are married with children - but at the moment I don't feel ready to take those steps. I was due to be married in May but called it off at the end of last year because I wasn't able to cope with the idea.

Anyone else feel the same? What are people's thoughts?

I suppose I am wondering why it seems that there are a generation of us who would traditionally be expected to have settled down by now who are exhibiting what would have been thought of as teenage-type behaviour.

I suppose I am wondering why it seems that there are a generation of us who would traditionally be expected to have settled down by now who are exhibiting what would have been thought of as teenage-type behaviour.
well, what age are you?

the children are turning into adults and the adults are turning into children.

It's about love. And everyone's different.

Or heartache and pain.

Which is universal.

I know people who have never been in love, but don't know anyone who has never had their heartbroken.

When the time is right, you'll know.

It's about love. And everyone's different.

Or heartache and pain.

Which is universal.

I know people who have never been in love, but don't know anyone who has never had their heartbroken.

When the time is right, you'll know.
Are you in love?

In the early part of the late 20's to late 30's bracket - a lady never reveals her age. :rolleyes:
oh well in that case you're old enough to work this shit out yourself or young enough to think there's more to life than settling down. but then, lets not misinterperate the "settle" part of the phrase. it doesn't have to be a cop out. life can be full and rich and deadly. when i was younger, so much younger than today, i wasted it all b being drunk and sittign around being bored and generally being a pain in the arse. every problem is a mountain range, every decision is life-changing. well they weren't. now i'm happier tha ever. i don't need the "freedom" of being unattached, accountable to no one, a young soul rebel on the lam. the real freedom is in understanding who you are, and that will ultimately lead to understanding what you want, or at least what is important.

of course, you won't realise this til you realise it.

See, that is what I'm thinking. I find it vaguely frightening.

I'm sure some student has written an essay on the concept of "settling down" being a cultural construct.

but the whole progressive infantilism of adulthood is interesting as there are broad systemic issues related to it in terms of concepts of risk, finance, childhood, work, governance, environment etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back