electronic voting (1 Viewer)

brianMy Remorse

Website
www.myremorse.com
i know this should probably go in the politics porum but just wanted to get some opinions here. What do ye make of the electronic voting? and more importantly the fact that Fianna Fail have decided the right of citizens to spoil their vote?
It breaks down like this: if you feel like the candidates in your constituency would adequately represent your needs as a citizen and do not wish to vote for any of them, but would still like to exercise your constitutional right in voting, previously you could spoil your vote, eg writing on the ballot paper etc etc
At the end of an election all the spoilt votes are counted and give an indication of those not satisfied with their local would-be TD's (and of course the stupid ones who spoil their vote by mistake). Point is at least you get to register your political opinion.
The new electronic voting system wont allow you to spoil your vote, so then you cant vote, thus depriving you of your constitutional right!
A possible suggestion is that if you want to spoil your vote then the machine will have to be turned off and then back on, but then that removes the notion of a secret ballot as people will see you doing this!

ok this was longer than intended, just wanted to see if any of ye are in anyway pissed at this?

brian you bollocks, you around at the moment?

ah we could just vote for the green party, cos then they'd know we were only joking, thus effectively spoiling our vote.

Word on the street is that you *can* spoil your vote. I could be wrong though. I hate the idea of evoting; I think that unless the developers are so confident in their program that they release the code then its unsafe.

the strange guy said:
Word on the street is that you *can* spoil your vote. I could be wrong though. I hate the idea of evoting; I think that unless the developers are so confident in their program that they release the code then its unsafe.

and of course an open source e voting development strategy would never be coopted by unseen forces intent on maintaining the status quo or misguided anarchists intent on making a nuisance or bored computer programmers intent on electing frosty the snowman or teenage hackers intent on electing justin timberlake in order to get sticky with the girl next door or <insert long winded and implausible scenario here>
spoiling your vote doesn't send a message but keep the dream alive and all that eh.....

If the encryption is good, it doesn't matter if the source is available or not.
I'm not into spoiling votes. Vote or don't vote at all, that's what I always say.

the strange guy said:
If the encryption is good, it doesn't matter if the source is available or not.
I'm not into spoiling votes. Vote or don't vote at all, that's what I always say.

I'm not into spoiling votes either but at the last election I went to my local polling booth and when I saw the bullshit candidates that were on offer the only thing I could do was draw a line across the page and walk out vowing to change constituency before the next election, which I something I actually followed through with

the strange guy said:
Fucking Southerners. Always the furthest from any conflict.

thats no way to talk to a vietnam vet.

and anyway, i was once hopped at a teenage disco when i was 13, so i think i know all about conflict

did anyone else see the story on channel4 news, about the problems with the american e-voting system? makes me very nervous about ower one as it could be same company opperating ower system.

i never actually bothered to register to vote and i meant to cause like with that abortion information referendum thingy that was on a couple of years, i only voted in local elections in kildare once, and that was cause this guy who every single morning for the past god knows how many years has went around clane picking up the idiots litter, he works in the school as a teacher, the most amazing thing is he keeps the whole place clean with just one fuckin arm.

anyway do u have to register to vote where ur from or anywhere

spuded said:
i never actually bothered to register to vote and i meant to cause like with that abortion information referendum thingy that was on a couple of years, i only voted in local elections in kildare once, and that was cause this guy who every single morning for the past god knows how many years has went around clane picking up the idiots litter, he works in the school as a teacher, the most amazing thing is he keeps the whole place clean with just one fuckin arm.

anyway do u have to register to vote where ur from or anywhere
you dont have to register where you're from but id say you'd want to do it in your present constituency pretty soon, the deadline for registration is usually a few months before elections. just go enquire where the local registry is kept, in cork its the corporation, so maybe the same where you are?

spuded said:
i only voted in local elections in kildare once, and that was cause this guy who every single morning for the past god knows how many years has went around clane picking up the idiots litter, he works in the school as a teacher, the most amazing thing is he keeps the whole place clean with just one fuckin arm.
you voted because a guy cleans up really efficiently using only one arm, i don't get it........i voted ming the merciless no. 1 in roscommon last time round, he did way better than my dad's no 1 candidate too, hohoho

Serious Stuff coming here....

To be quite honest, this teacup storm about not being able to spoil your vote is a load of Bollocks. Far more serious is the diminution of transparency (at least with the old system you had tallies - which, although their accuracy varied from constituency to constituency - acted as some deterrent to potential Box-stuffers) and secondly (and yes this is a serious point) it totally takes the FUN out of election day. In the fifteen years or so since I became involved in politics, it seems as if Politics has become effectively sterilised of whatever (relatively speaking here folks) fun and excitement and indeed passion that was there before. This maybe partly to do with silly regulations such as banning canvassing a hundred yards from Polling stations, and partly to do with the arrival of touchy-feely concensus politics with Taoiseach Bertie, and maybe partly the increasing dead hand of political correctness in Irish Society generally - but where politicians pay lip service to getting young people involved in politics, emascualating THE great social event of the political calendar is just stupid. No fucking wonder Sinn Fein are mopping up the youth vote - if someone under 25 joined FF, FG Labour or the PDs these days they (the parties) wouldn't know what to do with them.

Look it, it's got far more to do with Martin "Lovely Girls" Cullen trying to gain kudos for being "efficient" and "modern" - ditto for Noel Dempsey before him.
The fact that Mary Harney (Cullen's former arch-enemy in the PDs) has made noises against it will only serve to make Cullen ever more resolute. The irony is we now have this 40 million euro nice shiny voting system which we didn't need in the first place and yet the Electoral Register is still a pen-and-paper job (never mind not being online, it's not even computerised!) which is wide open to fraud. For Fuck's sake! I'm actually getting more annoyed as I write this. You can blame Cullen and Dempsey for engaging in a vanity project, but why the fuck didn't Bertie - who should really know better - put the brakes on this before it got out of the traps? It doesn't say much for his style of leadership...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back