Driving the countryside (2 Viewers)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
I've been living in the sticks for 2 and a half years now and still have trouble with driving ... you're sharing the road with tractors, slow-driving oldsters who can hardly see, farm animals, wildlife, boy racers and pedestrians. And the roads themselves are bumpy, full of potholes and blind corners (especially at this time of year when the ditches are bursting with life) and often too narrow to allow two cars to pass each other.
It can be fairly hair-raising, even for a careful driver like myself. This morning a builder's lorry nearly reversed into me as I passed, his windows were so dirty he didn't seem to be able to see me

i totalled the car last week. hurray for the country roads! although it was more me mixing up brake and accelorate ...

I've been living in the sticks for 2 and a half years now and still have trouble with driving ... you're sharing the road with tractors, slow-driving oldsters who can hardly see, farm animals, wildlife, boy racers and pedestrians. And the roads themselves are bumpy, full of potholes and blind corners (especially at this time of year when the ditches are bursting with life) and often too narrow to allow two cars to pass each other.
It can be fairly hair-raising, even for a careful driver like myself. This morning a builder's lorry nearly reversed into me as I passed, his windows were so dirty he didn't seem to be able to see me

The secret to driving in the country, I’m told, is to look through gaps in the hedges at corners for anything that might be coming up ahead.

Those pot holes are fun if your sitting on top of a load of bails.

The young boggers have a new wave, its kinda like you cup your hand slightly and rise it like youve got your elbow to your wrist resting on top of the wheel. Rise it as soon as you see the reg of your friend coming, the keep it up till you go past.

I never thought going to work would be the highlight of my day but since I got my car I drive the twisty backroads of Kildare to work, all the while pretending I'm in the end credits of Sesame Street. These summer mornings when there's hardly anyone else on the road..i wish the drive wasn't so short

and work wasn't my destination

i nearly vomitted today when i got a lift from a boy in my class. he's not boy racer, he drives fairly confidendly but he was going too fast in all these windy country lanes in the black hole area of wicklow (roundwood) and he kept taking both hands of the steering wheel. oh jesus.

so has anyone ever been in a crash? did you find it hard to relax in cars after?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back