Davey Graham (1 Viewer)

brianoak

Anyone ever tried learning Anji??
Folk rite of passage apparently..........
anyways Im struggling.

Just read a deadly book called "Guitar Man" about this dude who picks up a guitar at 34 and sets himself a task of playing a gig in six months.He ends up interviewing,well more transcribing chats with Davey Graham,who never gives interviews and Bert Jansch and James Williamson who played on Raw Power.Anyways this why Im now struggling through Anji.I think it might be tab time.........which will most likely confuse me more

I've tired, I get bored... rites of passage, smites of bassage

learning Sligo River Blues is a real rite of passage

that is a good book, though it's a bit Nick Hornby in it's smug I've got a cool hippy family and a great wife who happily induldges my whim to travel the world fucking abotu with a guitar

though the Davy Graham bit is great

brianoak said:
anyways Im struggling.

Just read a deadly book called "Guitar Man" about this dude who picks up a guitar at 34 and sets himself a task of playing a gig in six months.He ends up interviewing,well more transcribing chats with Davey Graham,who never gives interviews and Bert Jansch and James Williamson who played on Raw Power.Anyways this why Im now struggling through Anji.I think it might be tab time.........which will most likely confuse me more

Pantone247 said:
I've tired, I get bored... rites of passage, smites of bassage

learning Sligo River Blues is a real rite of passage

that is a good book, though it's a bit Nick Hornby in it's smug I've got a cool hippy family and a great wife who happily induldges my whim to travel the world fucking abotu with a guitar

though the Davy Graham bit is great

John Fahey?I dont think his shit is as tough as Jansch to get grips with.

Heheh wasnt hiss wife giving him shit all the way through?

brianoak said:
John Fahey?I dont think his shit is as tough as Jansch to get grips with.

that was an in-joke for my old home boy

Fahey is good for the right hand stuff, but yeah Jasch is really hard. Only dealth with Needle of Death really... sort of forgotten it too. I find it hard to practice as much as you really have to in order to get good at this stuff.

but I should burn you a few CDs

bertjohn.jpg

this record here with actually scare the shit out of you, too good for mere mortals, the two of them are total legends

Pantone247 said:
that was an in-joke for my old home boy

Fahey is good for the right hand stuff, but yeah Jasch is really hard. Only dealth with Needle of Death really... sort of forgotten it too. I find it hard to practice as much as you really have to in order to get good at this stuff.

but I should burn you a few CDs

bertjohn.jpg

this record here with actually scare the shit out of you, too good for mere mortals, the two of them are total legends

I have that Fiachra,absolutely insane playing but still great to just listen to for the songs.

I get on a great buzz for practicing for about three days and then forget it for a week hahah.

Cool I will do you something in return if you think you have some stuff I would like.

yeah but check out this video of a giant cenetipede killing a bat

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it's incredible

anyways Im struggling.

right I've started trying to learn this, it's a tough bastard, I'll give it that

after an hour I could make the first change, two hours now and I can sort of make the first two bars, the main riff, sound okay... sort of... once in a while...

a couple of lovely looking red raw string indents on my left hand

lovely

you still at it Brian???

right I've started trying to learn this, it's a tough bastard, I'll give it that

after an hour I could make the first change, two hours now and I can sort of make the first two bars, the main riff, sound okay... sort of... once in a while...

a couple of lovely looking red raw string indents on my left hand

lovely

you still at it Brian???

Yep,remember Jansch never plays it the same way twice so you dont need to stick to it note for note.Im nearly done,only started learning the bits after the bending bar....you know the one..after Rob Holden played the whole thing..his own arrangment..up north last week.
I will stick it up when I have nailed it and we can compare versions hehe
i will put Rob's(threads) acoustic stuff on the end of that Jackson C Frank cd for you.

edit-I say Jansch because he championed the song and Graham is quite dismissive of it.

Right,there goes my whole day off.

I can get up to the last break pretty much but I havent the fingers or heart to have a go at the rest.
tommorrow night maybe.

Right,there goes my whole day off.

I can get up to the last break pretty much but I havent the fingers or heart to have a go at the rest.
tommorrow night maybe.

your miles ahead of me, I think I'll a repetative strain injury before I get the song, bad enough I spend all day with a mouse in my hand, then go home and practice finger picking

I picked up to Davy Graham records recently I'll burn 'em up for you

their gas, not what I expected in some ways, but when he's on form he's astounding, great records anyhow...

you spent the whole day playin pocket billiards
?

what?

Its actually grand once you get past the main theme and the first break.The rest is farily straightforward.
Bet you anything next time I see I'll fluff it from the start hehe.

I got some mad Davy Graham stuff where he is just experimenting with sounds and transcribing pieces written zitar and stuff.

Kid attempting Anji

Here is his Dads version

Not the Jansch version.

also some japenese dude

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back