Bush -> (1 Viewer)

lorcanzo said:
http://static.vidvote.com/movies/bushuncensored.mov

what a dick this gentleman is.
however, current opinion polls are, while at an early stage, looking like he still has the advantage.

how?
it is kind of fun to freeze-frame and make him look like he's picking his nose, though.

bush.jpg

There was an interesting article there the other day, I think on bbc.co.uk (trying to relocate it but can't yet - will keep trying). However, the thrust of the article was in relation to just how unreliable these polls are. I can recall the following points being made

- even if a poll shows 48-46 pc in favour of Bush, it means that Bush hasn't even reached the 50pc mark, and so you have to consider the other remaining percentage of voters - not a very comfortable situation

- with this in mind, the undecideds have two options: the devil they know, and the devil they don't. Now we all know how the saying goes but fuck that shit, that's old. The journalist went on to make the point that if the incumbent isn't managing to secure a comfortable 50plus pc in polls at this stage, then voters are likely to carry their indecision right into the ballot box and often vote for the challenger (now I know this sounds very simplistic. He actually made a convincing case, I just can't remember it all now).

Indeed, it has been shown that Kerry is coming out on top among undecideds. The fact is, voters know a lot about Bush, an awful lot, and this can obviously work both ways for him. The hope is that people will look at the Bush picture, think "Holy Fuck, I mightn't know much about the real John Kerry but it cannot be as bad as this", and so vote Democrat.
The fact that Bush has lost a huge number of Muslim votes needs to be considered.

The bottom line is, in my opinion, the polls aren't calling it. Most of the time the sample isn't large enough for them to be scientific, and so it's just spin, whether fully intentional or not.

That said, I'm preparing myself for a Bush win just so I'm not gutted if it does happen. :mad:

Sent my absentee ballot today, so I've done my bit for the election. Don't worry, I know the election's Tuesday. Absentee votes aren't finished being counted until 10 days after the election. Only has to be postmarked by the 2nd.

Funny, it's going to be another night of staying up most of the night, isn't it? I mean, last night with the Red Sox, and another night of fingers-crossed-for-Boston-win...I'll sleep when I'm dead....which will be sooner, rather than later if Bush gets in.

Would have been really funny if the series hadn't been against the Cardinals, because it would have been against the Houston Astros, and another TExas versus Massachusetts showdown.

Wait, here's an optimistic parallel:
Dukakis choked in 88, Red Sox choked in 86.
Red Sox WIN in 2004....maybe? Just maybe?

jane said:
Sent my absentee ballot today, so I've done my bit for the election. Don't worry, I know the election's Tuesday. Absentee votes aren't finished being counted until 10 days after the election. Only has to be postmarked by the 2nd.

Funny, it's going to be another night of staying up most of the night, isn't it? I mean, last night with the Red Sox, and another night of fingers-crossed-for-Boston-win...I'll sleep when I'm dead....which will be sooner, rather than later if Bush gets in.

Would have been really funny if the series hadn't been against the Cardinals, because it would have been against the Houston Astros, and another TExas versus Massachusetts showdown.

Wait, here's an optimistic parallel:
Dukakis choked in 88, Red Sox choked in 86.
Red Sox WIN in 2004....maybe? Just maybe?
here's a prediction: if you try and stay up waiting for the result, you'll be awake for several weeks.

jane said:
once again I am confused about this american election malarky . for some reason I thought absentee ballots would be posted and counted early.

on average, forgetting the last elections fiasco, how long does it take to count the ballots and declare someone a winner in the american elections? if it takes less than 10 days does mean your vote won't count?

jane said:
Funny, it's going to be another night of staying up most of the night, isn't it?
I totally love staying up watching election results come in. I think I get the same buzz out of it that most people get from watching a football match or something.

the BBC UK general election coverage has always been a favourite of mine.

spiritualtramp said:
the BBC UK general election coverage has always been a favourite of mine.
yesh! peter snow and his big board. awesome. cant believe the day today never had a go at that.

spiritualtramp said:
once again I am confused about this american election malarky . for some reason I thought absentee ballots would be posted and counted early.

on average, forgetting the last elections fiasco, how long does it take to count the ballots and declare someone a winner in the american elections? if it takes less than 10 days does mean your vote won't count?
Absentee ballots are, I imagine, counted as they are received. Since the election isn't officially decided until the Electoral College votes several weeks after the election, nothing is determined until then.

My vote will make little difference in my electoral division or indeed my home state (the division is probably one of the most left-wing in the country, and Massachusetts will definitely go to Kerry), but will be recorded in the popular vote. I am hoping that, if the election is as close as the last one, they might be inclined to take the popular vote into account if, as with 2000, the Democrats come out ahead in that.

Chances are, of course, slim, but still, I think it's better for me to have put in my two cents than to assume everyone else will vote the way I want.

What would be extra-scary would be if Nader were on ballots in swing states. He wasn't on mine (though there was a Green-Rainbow team as well as a Libertarian, pro-gun fella), so people could have written him in. He won't get much even where he is listed as an official candidate, but it could make a difference. I know there's no way to prove that people who vote Nader would have voted for Kerry, or would have voted at all, but I think we're all still a little worried....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back