Buddy Holly is dead. (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
He died 50 years ago tomorrow along with Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa.

Buddy%2BHolly%2B2.jpg

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=lhgO8rZs1Fg&feature=related

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=xTlcDRB2gbA

buddy-holly.jpg

Without him it would never have been cool to wear glasses and play rock 'n' roll. There'd have been no Roy Orbison or Elvis Costello.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDyreAhyWg

buddy-holly-statue-714736.jpg

Jackie DeShannon is the only person to have written and released tribute song to him while he was still alive.

fact.

I think.

BBC 4 are having a night dedicated to Buddy on Wednesday Feb 4

(that other bespectacled singer Richard Hawley is on Other Voices that night too)

I :heart: Jackie Deshannon. She wrote the best non-Spector Ronettes song ever when she was about 17.

anyway, back to Buddy Holly then. What's the best compilation to get? I have some two disc thingy but it's a bit of a chore to listen to and appears to be missing some of his biggest songs

I :heart: Jackie Deshannon. She wrote the best non-Spector Ronettes song ever when she was about 17.

anyway, back to Buddy Holly then. What's the best compilation to get? I have some two disc thingy but it's a bit of a chore to listen to and appears to be missing some of his biggest songs

This is the one I own. I think I also own some bargain basementy type cds too but they're generally shit.

498gtv4.jpg

Some of his songs were overdubbed with backing vocals posthumously and although it works well in some of them, most notably "Peggy Sue Got Married", there's various versions of songs floating around with dodgy backing. I've never purchased the raw final recordings, only heard one or two of them.

What's the best compilation to get? I have some two disc thingy but it's a bit of a chore to listen to and appears to be missing some of his biggest songs

This one is great- its got a lot of the earlier rockabilly stuff, as well as his big hits

51FG7QEB47L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I got a terrible 3 disc set in a bargain bin - the songs are fine but they've been remastered and have "The Picks" vocal group doing horrible backing vocals all over it

rubbish

Yeah I heard from God that he's got a band going with Joe Dolan.

I'm gonna kill myself after work cos I'm on the guestlist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back