Brothers Grimm (1 Viewer)

Alan Remorse

anybody else looking forward to this, but still terrified of being horribly disappointed?

im a huge fan Gilliam, Brazil in particular is one of my favourite films ever... plus we get an ugly monica bellucci...

just have to wait and see i guess

I saw this last night.
It's really enjoyable for the most part but there a re a few niggly things that didn't really cut it for me

I won't give anything away..

I'd fortgotten it was a Terry Gilliam movie and at one point thought to myself "Terry Gilliam would have made a better job of this"

doh

the main problem is its indecision as to what it is trying to be- this would scare the living crap out of children but then the gags seem to be set up for kiddies..and it never resolves this uneasy shifting throughout the movie.

The "love interest" doesn't work at all in my opinion- and bar one important moment( and all the more confusing because of it) it could have been dispensed with.

It "looks" brilliant though, as pretty much all Terry Gilliams movies do. The Queen in the high tower scenes are my favourites.

And Jonathan Price is back on a Gilliam film so its all good really.

It's probably best to think of it's as a really good, scary kids movie.

No harm in that.

isn't this meant to have been pretty butchered by the studio though? and nothing in line with what gilliam wanted? s'what i heard anyway

i like watching house with hugh laurie

It IS really enjoyable and (to repeat myself) definitely on the good side of average.

To make it really great it needed:
- better casting (aufwiedersehn Heath Ledger & bon voya-gee Jonathan Pryce)
- tighter plot (cutting out a lot of the superfluous French army bits, developing the characters of Mackenzie Crook and the other sidekick, sorting out the love story)
- more wide shots (just for scale Gilliam, just for scale)

dudley said:
isn't this meant to have been pretty butchered by the studio though? and nothing in line with what gilliam wanted? s'what i heard anyway

Ah terry says that about all his films!! seriously nearly every film he has done he has blamed the studio on something. Still great director and the good news is he has said don quixote is back on depp back in as well!

dudley said:

Ah terry says that about all his films!! seriously nearly every film he has done he has blamed the studio on something. Still great director and the good news is he has said don quixote is back on depp back in as well!

I will see it because it's a Terry Gilliam movie. No further persuasion is required.

Bellatrix said:
bon voya-gee Jonathan Pryce
surely you're kidding? jonathan pryce is one of the best actors around. he's one of those actors that i would watch anything if he was in it. ANYTHING.

Alan Remorse said:
surely you're kidding? jonathan pryce is one of the best actors around. he's one of those actors that i would watch anything if he was in it. ANYTHING.

Normally I think he's great. Just not in this.

Eez French accent eez not so good, yez?

"Bruzzeurz Grimm, weeth zis faieery tale yeugh are really spoiling uzz."

dudley said:

nope.read in Empire yesterday that this is what orginally happened and tehn tehy said fuck it do what you want. It's his own mess so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back