Bored In Work 681 (2 Viewers)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
IN THE 85 YEARS that humankind has known of Pluto’s existence, the dwarf planet has yet to complete a single revolution around the sun. So far is it from the sun and from Earth that even the most powerful telescopes see it as a blurry disk. Decades of calculating—and speculating—by astronomers have created only a sketchy portrait of the icy rock.

That all changes on Tuesday morning.

New Horizons' Long, Dark, Amazing Journey to Pluto...And Beyond | WIRED

looks like it would be a bit of fun
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

dad9_3373455k.jpg

It's amazing how these large but ultimately niche online communities like Gawker and Reddit treat their little worlds like they're real news. 7NT is the only person I know of either online or in real life who mentions gawker, is it a big thing in the US or is it like Twitter in that people on it think that it's more interesting and important than it really is?

is it a big thing in the US or is it like Twitter in that people on it think that it's more interesting and important than it really is?

I guess it's a pretty big thing, hard to gauge. Most people tuned into media/culture in any way here know what it is.
It's a big collection of sites - Gawker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Lifehacker, i09, Gizmodo and loads more. All pretty engaging with generally sharp writers.
I don't know that I have a good metric for how interesting or important something 'really is'. It's not the NY Times.
It has topics I like most days and generally top notch comment sections. Some major league smart arses on there. And super smart fuckers too.

It's what Journal.ie is modeled on.

I think Twitter is probably pretty important, like don't governments and all sorts of big deals use it as a platform for public relations? They announced the Greek deal over Twitter during the week.
Like POTUS isn't on Gawker, but he's sure as heck on Twitter.

Sorry, I'm not saying that Twitter is not important (it is a game changer and has far more reach than any news site) but more the thing of taking Twitter spats and outbursts as being newsworthy or remotely interesting. I've disengaged from Twitter purely because it comes off more and more as a hype platform with my feed dominated by paragraph long think pieces about why the gender politics of subsaharan bee populations is important in this season of meet the lardashians* on Mars. Too much going on for me to sift through into finding anything worthwhile. My impression of gawker was always that it was like Heat magazine but updated every few minutes. I can't imagine ever having enough spare time to have run out of other stuff to read on the internet. I mean I haven't even gotten halfway through Wikipedia yet!

*typo deliberately left in because it's funny.

This is straight up sorcery

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back