Bill Blood - Come Softly To My Wake (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Album out on 30th May, heard it tonight and it's deadly. Apparently it'll be streaming on nialler9's site (where else?) before then so for now you should check this out:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bill Blood is otherwise known as Niall Byrne. Niall Byrne is known for his guitar work in instrumental indie pioneers The Redneck Manifesto. He is also one half of electronic duo Visionair. But it's with his work as Bill Blood and the raw folk songs that make up his forthcoming album 'Come Softly to My Wake', where his intimate, understated soul truly shines. That soul may have been sold to the devil a long time ago but even the devil couldn't keep him for long..

On 'Come Softly to My Wake' (TSR003) you will find simple dark melodies sung over impeccable folk guitar pickings with electronic drones and flourishes, creating an unworldly atmosphere many folk writers tend to stay away from. He sings of life, death, hope, despair, solace and redemption in a world-weary yet welcoming voice that pours over his guitar lines like silver.

Take the beautiful 'Being in Love' with its steel-string twangs and plucks painted over the top of a sinister organ drone and sprinkled with ghostly percussion. Or the downtrodden everyday blues of 'Just Got Paid'. But there is plenty of hope on this record like in the tender opener 'Lie Down' or the heartbreaking dream-like tale of 'What the Sun Said to the Moon'. As subtle as the record initially sounds, if you give it the time, 'Come Softly To My Wake' will get under your skin, maybe even into your blood..

The album was recorded one windy wintery afternoon in the home of, and with the help of, close friend and TRM bandmate Richard Egan (Jape), while keyboards and some light percussion were added one cold spring morning by Neil O'Connor (Somadrone/Goodtime/TRM).

This is a raw folk record that wouldn't seem out of place alongside the fingerpick stylings of John Fahey or the devil blues of Charlie Patton. It will also appeal to fans of AA Bondy, M. Ward, Papa M, Bill Callahan etc.

Come Softly To My Wake is released on May 30th 2013 on CD/MP3 via Temporary Secretary Recordings with a release gig on

Saturday June 8th in Bewleys Cafe Theatre (Grafton St), with some very special guests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back