Bertie (1 Viewer)

Anybody watch it last night? It rocked.
I forgot how mad Irish politics was back in the late eighties.

Say what you like about RTE, but they are ace at these kind of programmes.

caught both this and the last episode. good stuff I have to say. Its a good overview of the last 30 years of irish politics if nothing else

saw most of it, thought it was done really well. em did anyone else think early 80s bertie wasnt that bad looking?

Saw I think the second part. Was so distracted by the inclusion of at least 2 minutes worth of Telephone Thing by The Fall as musical backing that I started admiring the man.

all that ambition and planning to be taoiseach....was there any ambition for the country? enjoying this docu but all i can think is when the infrastructure and stuff started really straining bertie was saying 'ah sure no-one anticipated the boom to be so big...i mean how could they?' and now that health and education are sustaining themselves on mouldy bread heated by a lightbulb(which will soon be illegal) its all 'ah sure no-one anticipated a slowdown..i mean how could they?'..planning for themselves the bally lot of 'em.

how old is that cecilia one anyway?

best bit in the 1st episode was when they showed footage of him in the 80s, during a "slow" period in opposition, doing keep-fit exercises on the Late Late Show, at the rear of a group of leg-warmered ladies.

Classic.

Has this been capped/uploaded anywhere? I can't watch it on rte.ie. It's times like this I really wish there was a site like thebox for Irish TV...

best bit in the 1st episode was when they showed footage of him in the 80s, during a "slow" period in opposition, doing keep-fit exercises on the Late Late Show, at the rear of a group of leg-warmered ladies.

Classic.

The montage with the Cheers theme last night was gas too.

What strikes me about the series is just how little he gives away - even now, looking back, he is so unreadable even compared to some of his blander collegues. Is there a correlation does anyone think between how vague you are and how successful you're likely to become as a politician?

That said, despite myself and depsite all the dodgy dealings, I'm still finding an small upsurge in repect for the man. He was a great negotiator, more in touch with the man on the street than most of his predecessors and infanitely better than what we've been landed with now.

didn't smith claim he didn't realise that gretchen franklin was ethyl from eastenders and that he'd just randomly made the name up?

'parently

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Gretchen-Franklin
Trivia

In Fall song "Telephone Thing", Mark E Smith repeatedly asks "How dare you assume I would want to parlez-vouz with you, Gretchen Franklin?". In an interview for the NME Mark E Smith revealed that he had thought he had made the name up and that it wasn't a reference to this Gretchen Franklin [1]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back