Bands looking for material (1 Viewer)

Macca

Since 2000
Hey

I have been writing songs for years but have a shite singing voice, therefore I have been thinking for sometime about getting others to perform/record them.

Are there any local bands in the dublin area that are looking for original material to use?

Originally posted by Macca
Hey

I have been writing songs for years but have a shite singing voice, therefore I have been thinking for sometime about getting others to perform/record them.

Are there any local bands in the dublin area that are looking for original material to use?

Why doncha just start a band and get the singer to sing your songs?!bing

Re: Re: Bands looking for material

Originally posted by Psychotic no 2
Why doncha just start a band and get the singer to sing your songs?!bing

Well basically because I'm no longer of the age where gigging is practical as I have a young family. Also, I am not the greatest musician in the world - but I am a decent song writer.

I would like to see (hear) my songs presented in the right manner. The demos I have done with myself playing and singing everything are ok, but not good enough for release - or to play to anyone for that matter. I'm sure they would be better served by people who are playing regularly in an established set up.

I have a small recording studio set up at home and have also been thinking of just getting a few interested people in to record.

Just thought id see what the interest is for young bands to record other peoples material.

Maybe nothing will come of it. Just asking.

Originally posted by Knacker
Anthony, I hope you're not dyslexic and stirring up hits. If you are, then I'd say you're a nerd mogul. Or a glamor nude.

what the hell are you talking about?

I think he's asking if Anthony misspelt shit as hits. A long shot, but that's my guess. A nerd mogul is also an anagram of glamor (american spelling) nude, isn't it?

It's quite interesting what you're trying to do Macca. Personnally, I prefer writing to any other part of the music thing (recording, singing, performing). I don't know what your stuff is like, but if you're looking to write for commercial acts, it might be best to approach a couple of studios around Dublin with a selection of your recordings. Maybe hire a singer to do a professional demo to hawk around. Commercial artists and their management often look for material from the producer they're working with.

If that's not what you're into then I'm not sure what advice to offer. It's a long time since the roles of songwriter and performer were separated in creative music.

Originally posted by Mumblin Deaf Ro
It's a long time since the roles of songwriter and performer were separated in creative music.

Quite right. This is why I'm asking. Because it is doubtful that any good musician/band would be without their own material. Unfortunatly I was not blessed with the voice I would have liked and my musicianship skills are not as developed as they should be. Wait til you have kids and you'll know what I mean.

Perhaps though, there are some people out there looking for a fresh angle or something. Most would find it hard to get over their own ego but that's OK. I think my songs require a certain type of personality to convey them correctly. It aint all about words is it?

I appreciate your advice. Maybe I could shop around the various studios, but I would like ultimate say on who sings them.

They are commercial enough, but not overly so. perhaps that's because of the way I presented them. Maybe someone with more flair than me would give them a new edge.

?

Maybe hire a singer to do a professional demo to hawk around. Commercial artists and their management often look for material from the producer they're working with.

try publishing companies too, I know what you're saying about having some sort of control and all that, but it might be no harm to take a wander down that path and see where it leads... I wonder once you sign your songs to a publishing company are accepting the fact that Richie Kavnagh could record it and theres nought you can do about it... anyway just a thought... if only just so you can come back and tell us what it was like.

Its interesting that the whole songwriter preformer being seperarte thing producded such amazing music, Bacharach, Spector, Brian Wilson, Smokey Robinson... but is looked upon in the current climate with some suspicion

here, also you could clone yourself, and from a band of lots of yourself and and...

It's a standard feature of publishing contracts that the owner of the publishing rights can pick and choose who they allow to use a song, so that could be an option alright. Only thing is, your music would be getting out on a piecemeal basis. Did you want to write for a band, but not perform with them? Like that guy from the Beta Band (releases stuff as concubine rice I think).

It's a standard feature of publishing contracts that the owner of the publishing rights can pick and choose who they allow to use a song, so that could be an option alright. Only thing is, your music would be getting out on a piecemeal basis. Did you want to write for a band, but not perform with them? Like that guy from the Beta Band (releases stuff as concubine rice I think).

Guys

I'm stunned by the intelligent responses here. I was kind of expecting a massive piss-take. Just goes to show the merit of a site like this and its participants.

Mumblin. Yes, to write for a band would be ideal. To build a relationship with the one entity would be great from a development point of view, but perhaps a bit limiting.

I suppose ideally I would like to have a revolving door type affair whereby I can pick and choose who does what.

For instance: One song I have I think would sound great with the rythm section from Redneck Manifesto and the singer from National Prayer Breakfast. get the idea.

When you say the owner of the publishing rights gets to pick and choose who sings what. Isn't it the publishing company who hold the rights?

To answer a previous question. My music is pretty varied. I have primaraly written in a rock vein but have dabbled in electronica and experimental.

I think he's asking if Anthony misspelt shit as hits. A long shot, but that's my guess. A nerd mogul is also an anagram of glamor (american spelling) nude, isn't it?

Glamor Nude and A Nerd Mogul are both anagrams of Large Mound. Bloody hell.

too high brow for me I'm afraid - I was never much at countdown either.
Did anyone see that latest Countdown champion freak? He was getting all the conundrums within a second or something, and got the highest ever score as well.

Originally posted by Macca

When you say the owner of the publishing rights gets to pick and choose who sings what. Isn't it the publishing company who hold the rights?

usually you licence your music, subject to conditions, to a publishing company. You can include a condition that you get final approval. They come to you looking for you to ok the use of your song; if you're happy to do so, they sort it out and pay you a % royalty. I think the redneck manifesto have a deal along these lines.

Have been thinking a bit about this over the weekend. I have a mate who's a singer and he has agreed to record some of my songs. I have a lot recorded in demo form at home so its just a matter of replacing my howl with his. I think I will try approaching some of the bigger studios in Dublin and a few publishers to see what the reaction is.

In the meantime I will continue my search for credible artists who are looking for material or individuals that are willing to lay down a bass line or guitar hook.

As I am not a native Dubliner I am not too familiar with the studios etc here. Can you make some suggestions on who might be the more approachable companies? Both studios and publishers…

Don't Hot Press publish a yearly guide or something? When is that out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back