Ballroom #87: Agata & Me /Herm/ My Brother Woody/ George Worrall, April 24th (1 Viewer)

Unclealo

Uncle Alo
Website
www.thirteenthlock.net
Ballroom of Romance presents

BOR #87 featuring Agata & Me (Denmark/ Italy)
with Herm, My Brother Woody and George Worrall

Friday April 24th
The Lower Deck
€10, doors 9pm
free download compilation with entry

Agata & Me

l_78226bcab40f178bc98652e65680627d.jpg

With origins in the Balkans and Sicily two southern europeans meet on a nordic winter night: melancholy strikes...
»Overnite EP« has been released by the Danish "Sound Of Perpetual Astonishment" label. An eight-track EP by Agata & Me who recently joined the label. Behind the band name you fi nd a duo made up of Agata Foti of Sicily and Emir Pasic of Bosnia (and formerly of the »balkanpunk« band KURvE). They met up in Aarhus, Denmark, and started doing songs together. During winter the 2007-2008 they were immensely productive and put together a whole bunch of songs and eight of them have made it onto the EP.

»Overnite EP« features tracks where traditional songwriting, acoustic instruments and vocal harmonies by both singers intertwine with small doses of electronics and evocative droning loops. The lyrics dive into the deep emotional territory where you find the ups and downs of love and the feeling of alienation. A moving listening experience indeed.

mp3 here

www.myspace.com/agataandme

www.sopa.dk/agataandme

Herm

l_17fdfc8fd4f04d16bdbb23bd63c67e42.jpg

"Like all true pop outsiders, Herm – aka Ballinasloe man Kevin Connolly – recognises the power of self-spawned myths: he claims to have been discovered as a child 'singing in some bushes' on the Channel Island of Herm (hence, surprise, surprise, the stage name). Musically, Connolly navigates a woozy course between Tom Waits, early Pavement and Slint (while giving the occasional nod in the direction of Nick Cave, Spiritualized and The Beatles).

From this exotic gumbo of influences, he distills a frequently sublime marriage of the theatrical and the minimalist: on his soon to be released debut album, Monsters, Herm dabbles in ragtime folk, boneyard blues and jangly indie pop. A bit of a one-man orchestra on record, Connolly is, in concert, a little more willing to share the glory. Backed by the five-piece Hermanos, he subjects his brittle compositions to wide-screen make-overs, sprucing them up with pile-driver guitar chugs, rumbling fade-ups and oodles of art-rock riffola. Grandiose and earthy in the same heartbeat, Herm is a reminder that, sometimes, the best music is to be found in the eerie spaces at the edge of town." Eamonn De Paor

www.myspace.com/hermwork
http://www.herm.tv

My Brother Woody

l_e1bc223d28cbf5bbeb21528936353423.jpg

My Brother Woody is the creation of Irish songwriter Michael Cleare. MBW has played extensively around Ireland, sharing the bill with the likes of the Posies, Marc Carroll, Mundy and the Chalets, receiving regular airplay on Today FM, 2fm and a number of radio stations around the country.

My Brother Woody songs are hook-laden and harmony-driven, full of warm, infectious melodies, recalling the sound and style of legendary American bands such as the Beach Boys and Big Star, as well as more modern purveyors of good vibrations such as Teenage Fanclub and Ben Folds.

"A deceptively slow false start eventually paves way to a bevy of tracks that gently thump, fizzle and burble while simultaneously emitting occasional glints of glorious sunshine. Your New Found Taste and When Summer Comes wistfully dander along a charminglyl-paced path, while almost every track is infused with swoonsome, harmony-laden backing vocals" Lauren Murphy Entertainment.ie

"C’est fun, plus que ça, c’est classe" Sucrepop.com

["the album is full of infectiously catchy melodic alt rock sounds with a real emphasis on the summery pop sound, the album has a real east coast sixties pop feel to it at times with lots of great vocal harmonies and some lovely mellow brass sounds, features eleven superbly written catchy pop songs" Road Records

"a trawler's worth of sweet hooks. It all points to a great future" mp3hugger.com

George Worrall

l_aa9f1bd539c38553b73ecb8a7bc26d0d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back