ATP Q&A (1 Viewer)

mamul

its a bit early but i wonder if any of the atp vets out there could answer a few questions for me. whats camping like in camber or rye the night before? any good spots to recommend? whats the story with booze at the festival, can you bring yer own? is it expensive onsite? whats the cooking facilities like in the chalets, are there pots and pans? are there good food shops near by? or markets? thanks in advance

mamul said:
its a bit early but i wonder if any of the atp vets out there could answer a few questions for me. whats camping like in camber or rye the night before? any good spots to recommend? whats the story with booze at the festival, can you bring yer own? is it expensive onsite? whats the cooking facilities like in the chalets, are there pots and pans? are there good food shops near by? or markets? thanks in advance

camping - didnt do it dont know.

there is a pub at the festival and you can bring your own booze in for the weekend. Everyone on arrival in camber sands goes to the budgens supermarket across the road from the train station and stocks up on booze and food for the weekend.

no its not expensive on site but its always going to be cheaper cooking your own food and drinking cans but sometimes you just cant be bothered walking back to the chalet.

all chalets come equiped with cooking utensils and all mod cons - tv, chairs table, bed, windows, doors. just remember kids : should you break anything in the chalet it comes out of the credit card used to book the tickets so play nice. in advance the most expensive stuff is the big front window, tv and the cistern (i've seen all of these broken in various locations at atp).

Hair Iron Madin said:
Everyone on arrival in camber sands goes to the budgens supermarket across the road from the train station and stocks up on booze and food for the weekend.

Plus you get a bag that says 'Fresh Budgens' on it which is always good.

Somebody paste up the ATP survival pack from the old ATP threads - it was pretty comprehensive in the booze/goodtimes factors.

Hair Iron Madin said:
camping - didnt do it dont know.

there is a pub at the festival and you can bring your own booze in for the weekend. Everyone on arrival in camber sands goes to the budgens supermarket across the road from the train station and stocks up on booze and food for the weekend.

no its not expensive on site but its always going to be cheaper cooking your own food and drinking cans but sometimes you just cant be bothered walking back to the chalet.

all chalets come equiped with cooking utensils and all mod cons - tv, chairs table, bed, windows, doors. just remember kids : should you break anything in the chalet it comes out of the credit card used to book the tickets so play nice. in advance the most expensive stuff is the big front window, tv and the cistern (i've seen all of these broken in various locations at atp).

there is also a shop onsite that sells booze, ciggies, food, there is also a nice restaraunt thats not too dear when you are too lazy/hungover to cook yourself.

schmegeggin said:
there is also a shop onsite that sells booze, ciggies, food, there is also a nice restaraunt thats not too dear when you are too lazy/hungover to cook yourself.
That restaurant is far from nice! Blocks of apartment do indeed look like post communist russia.

ah the Sands 'rest'aurant.
The 2 foot wide beds with spit thin matresses and matching duvets.
the see through curtains.
the chalets with no showers
the school chairs
the bolted down tellys
the sofabed with skin sticking plastic covering
the terrifyingly huge seagulls

ah, ATP.

kirstie said:
ah the Sands 'rest'aurant.
The 2 foot wide beds with spit thin matresses and matching duvets.
the see through curtains.
the chalets with no showers
the school chairs
the bolted down tellys
the sofabed with skin sticking plastic covering
the terrifyingly huge seagulls

ah, ATP.

The 1980's arcade machines
The condesation on EVERYONES windows
The slippery steps
The strange game room up stairs that nobody goes into except those that want to play darts!
Waiting at the bar while the bar staff serve ONE person at a time.
Almost breaking ur neck by slipping on empty bottles left on the floor of the main venue.
Almost breaking ur neck by tripping over people sitting on the floor of the main venue.

mamul said:
whats camping like in camber or rye the night before?

Like camping anywhere I'd imagine, dirty, uncomfortable and strictly for hippies.

mamul said:
any good spots to recommend?

For camping? No.

More generally you are better off around Rye than around Camber Sands, which apart from having a nice beach is a dismal kip. Imagine a particularly run down Irish seaside village twenty years ago, where the pubs are dank and vaguely menacing and the shops only sell bread and seaside tat. Sort of like Courtown without the facilities, size or metropolitan sophistication.

Rye by contrast is a pretty little tourist town, manicured within an inch of its life and offering excellent cream tea and pastry opportunities. It also has a couple of nice pubs and a record shop that sells random seven inch singles in sealed bags of ten. Almost all of which are shite but buying them is addictive.

mamul said:
whats the story with booze at the festival, can you bring yer own?

As noted above, yes. Most people buy huge amounts of food and drink at the supermarket beside Rye train station. There are two shops at the gate of Pontins where you can buy more if you run out.

mamul said:
is it expensive onsite?

Not particularly but the food is vile. There's a choice between one of those restaraunts of the type you find at service stations and a terrible burger place. They also sell semi-cooked hotdogs about the place, which are disgusting but strangely inviting.

mamul said:
whats the cooking facilities like in the chalets, are there pots and pans?

Basic but functional and yes.

I have heard tell wonderous tales of brave souls cooking sunday roasts in the terrifying ovens of Camber Sands. Personal like, I've never attempted anything more ambitious than sausages and toast.

Metal teapots. Ugh. So...poor.

I've gone for a roast dinner in one of the pubs in Camber Sands on a couple of occasions. Why on a couple of occasions? Because I'd blanked out how bad it was the first time. Strips of burnt fat with vegetables a la microwave. The pub itself had an interesting smell of wee, regulars who didn't like the cut of our indie-shmindie jib one little bit and a surprising number of dogs.

On the upside the "vegetarian option" was the roast minus the meat and gravy along with a sour look from the rather weather-beaten woman behind the bar. Good enough for them.

that chipshop up the road from the site... realise I did not that possible it was to make chips taste so very bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back