Atlantis (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Ed
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 528
  • Watchers 0

Ed

They found it!!!! no really!!! seriously.

A new book investigating the myth of Atlantis says that the mythical land was actually the island of

The claim is made by geologist Ulf Erlingsson in his book 'Atlantis from a Geographer's Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land', who is to visit Ireland on August 11 to 13.

In his book Erlingsson bases his evidence on Plato's desription of Atlantis which, according to Erlinsson, matches Ireland perfectly. Statistically, the scientist claims, the probability is over 99.98% that Plato was describing Ireland.

Erlingsson says: "Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest over the middle. They both feature a central plain that is open to the sea, but fringed by mountains. No other island on earth even comes close to this description."

"What has led most students astray is that Atlantis sank in the sea", says Dr Erlingsson.

"It is an 'Atlantic myth' all right - but a myth from, not about, Atlantis".

"The island that sank was Dogger Bank. It was struck by a disastrous flood-wave around 6,100 BC, and now rests deep under the waves of the North Sea."

In the book, Dr Erlingsson shows how the Atlantic Empire probably can be associated with the megalithic monuments of Europe and Northern Africa. Their geographic distribution matches the extent of the Atlantic Empire as Plato described it.

The Atlantean capital can be connected with Tara, the legendary seat of the high king of Ireland.

The temples of Poseidon and the ancestors match up well with the so-called passage tombs of Newgrange and Knowth, in the Boyne valley.

They are the oldest roofed buildings anywhere in the world.

Ulf Erlingsson has a Ph.D. in Physical Geography from Uppsala University.

His specialty is geological processes, under-water research, and natural disasters-.

Jane said:
Erlingsson says: "Just like Atlantis, my hole is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest over the middle, fringed by mountains. No other hole on earth even comes close to this description."

"What has led most students astray is that Atlantis sank in the sea", says Dr Erlingsson.

"It is an 'Atlantic myth' all right - but a myth from, not about, Atlantis".

Ulf Erlingsson has a Ph.D. in Physical Geography from Uppsala University.

His specialty is geological processes, under-water research, and me hole-.

Sorry, it just gets me all riled up when I think of the amount of energy people pour into useless research about stuff like Noah's Ark, aliens building the pyramids, and the location of Atlantis. It's like looking for evidence of gods drinking ambrosia on Mount Olympus.

Looking for physical evidence of what are often metaphorical and mythical places can be very dodgy. Sometimes, these places are meant to represent both nowhere and everywhere, and the topographical detail is not all that impoprtant. Whether Atlantis was a real place, or whether it is an amalgam of myths passed down over the years, it's all a bit ropey, in my opinion.

That's not all I have to say on the matter, as I'm sure will come as no surprise.

but........but it's on the internerd!!!

Ed said:
but........but it's on the internerd!!!
they lied, atlantis is actually leitrim... no one ever comes out or leaves. most people actually believe it isn't even real, and i've heard it's swampy and has many lakes. and it used to be underwater, and they have men with gills behind their ears and tom hanks. Mermaid was made there

Ed said:
In his book Erlingsson bases his evidence on Plato's desription of Atlantis which, according to Erlinsson, matches Ireland perfectly. Statistically, the scientist claims, the probability is over 99.98% that Plato was describing Ireland.

I find this very very dissappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back