Anyone know owt about ISIS? (1 Viewer)

thickaspigshit

Website
Visit site
Its not an anagram or anythin but if you know em or where I can hear stuff. They are playin here next year and i hear they are similar to DEP and Icarus Line. I love the latter but am not right keen on DEP, a bit too shouty, thrashy for my aural taste buds. Apologies if that comment offends...not meant to!!

Wonderin if this could sell pretty quick, or ok to wait til ive heard more.

Feedback grateful chaps/chapesses

"It depends on what your definition of 'is' is." -- Bill Clinton

but seriously, check em out, theres a thread on it here

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=10040&highlight=isis

today's a gread day for murder

thickaspigshit said:
Its not an anagram or anythin but if you know em or where I can hear stuff. They are playin here next year and i hear they are similar to DEP and Icarus Line. I love the latter but am not right keen on DEP, a bit too shouty, thrashy for my aural taste buds. Apologies if that comment offends...not meant to!!

Wonderin if this could sell pretty quick, or ok to wait til ive heard more.

Feedback grateful chaps/chapesses

they're nothing like dep or the icarus line (thankfully)
icarus line is terrible
dep is rad
isis is crushing
you should go see them if you like metal
old man gloom who are the shit for real might be playing with them too...suppposidly...doubt it.

andrew

The simplest way to describe Isis is atmospheric doom-metal with occasional bout of deep throaty vocals. I think I posted about this once before on here, but the one time I saw them play was by accident, as I was at the venue to see the support band play (Oxes). They completely blew me away with how amazing they were. I bought their last CD at the show ('Oceanic') and I found it to be one of the best metal albums ever made. The singer also runs Hydrahead records and some (but most assuredly not all) of those bands have a similar sound (e.g. Pelican). I've seen DEP and Icarus Line play before and I don't think they're *that* similar. DEP are more about complex angular guitar playing and Icarus Line are more straight-up rock and a tad lighter vocally (both amazing bands, though).

Isis are highly, highly recommended. Good as they are, they're not commercially popular in the US, so I doubt an Irish show will sell out very quickly.

Just read the large thread on eirecore. Am well tempted by all that jazz, if only for the lack of 'theyre shit' posts which you normally see.

OK Icarus Line maybe terrible to you...not to me(horses 4 courses). I saw them live on a recommendation/nothing to do saturday night and thought they just sounded like nothing much id heard before. DEP sounded like stuff id heard before but didnt do owt for me kinda way.

Guess I shall hunt down Oceanic and flowery nipples.

Damn I get called a musical snob at work, this is the place to be!!:p

they are like godspeed with shouty vocals, i didnt like the singing at first but got well into them, ocenic is amazing but the full album before it (celestial) is sweet too

Part of Celestial (the tower) is available here:
http://www.stonerrock.com/jukebox/Isis-The_Tower.mp3

SGNL>05 is not really worth buying IMO. The best track is
Deconstructing Towers and is here:
http://www.neurotrecordings.com/media/Isis_SGNL05_ConstructingTowers.mp3

15 squids , nice

thickaspigshit said:
Just read the large thread on eirecore. Am well tempted by all that jazz, if only for the lack of 'theyre shit' posts which you normally see.

OK Icarus Line maybe terrible to you...not to me(horses 4 courses). I saw them live on a recommendation/nothing to do saturday night and thought they just sounded like nothing much id heard before. DEP sounded like stuff id heard before but didnt do owt for me kinda way.

Guess I shall hunt down Oceanic and flowery nipples.

Damn I get called a musical snob at work, this is the place to be!!:p

if they're godspeed with shouty vocals, does that make godspeed isis without vocals? not really.
neurosis is a way more obvious point of reference
everyone luvz neurosis right!?
sovreignity is the fuckin jam right there! DUH DUH DUH DUNNNN DUN DUN DUNNNN DUH DUNNNN! DUH DUH DUH DUH DUNNNN DUN DUN DUNNNN DUH DUNNNN!
the jam.
andrew

yes, neurosis were (are) an obvious reference point but i think isis have surpassed what neurosis ever achieved in that environment - i dont think neurosis are nearly as interesting or noteworthy as either isis or godspeed and thus choose to label them differently (btw as i am sure you know isis recorded with tribes of neurot and aaron turner did the cover of the impressive sovereign Ep).

Isis do share similar "post-rock" crescendo buildups with gybe that arent isnt as pronounced in neurosis. Isis take the idea a bit further with oceanic, cant wait to see what they come up with next....

Thats my take, i like all of the above for different own reasons

- you label me, you negate me

TESTAROSSA said:
if they're godspeed with shouty vocals, does that make godspeed isis without vocals? not really.
neurosis is a way more obvious point of reference
everyone luvz neurosis right!?
sovreignity is the fuckin jam right there! DUH DUH DUH DUNNNN DUN DUN DUNNNN DUH DUNNNN! DUH DUH DUH DUH DUNNNN DUN DUN DUNNNN DUH DUNNNN!
the jam.
andrew

jeah straight up - no point argueing over semantics
when this shit is killer.
i still gotta get that other old man gloom album - i have the real droney one (killer also) but not heard the faster one..

thick as pig shit - cehck out converge when they play here too - 'jane doe' got me back into that kinda shit for a few minutes. gz dublin is puttin them on in voodoo in the new year.

andrew

converge for sure, dont know much of omg's stuff. I did download knut and keelhaul that impressed me, scissorfight too and are not bad, mostly from hydrahead.com or epitonic.com

.... shame none of them come to this country,,,, still at least i got something to look forward to

TESTAROSSA said:
jeah straight up - no point argueing over semantics
when this shit is killer.
i still gotta get that other old man gloom album - i have the real droney one (killer also) but not heard the faster one..

thick as pig shit - cehck out converge when they play here too - 'jane doe' got me back into that kinda shit for a few minutes. gz dublin is puttin them on in voodoo in the new year.

andrew

Isis = one of the most boring bands I have ever seen live
Neurosis = one of the best
Am I in trouble for thinking that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back