American Music Club Irish tour 2008 (1 Viewer)

Fergusd

4 shows in all, 2 on sale on tickets.ie should be pretty good

January 2008
30 Cork Cyprus Ave
31 Limerick Dolans

February
1 Galway Roisin Dubh
2 Dublin Whelans

Forever presents
American Music Club
plus guests Venue: Whelan's, Dublin Date and time: Sat 02 Feb 2008 19:30

ah deadly, always a welcome announcement when they or eitzel plays.

just got tickets for this last night. what's the deal, is it all original line-up? By 'this', i mean Whelan's gig. It'll be great so see them in a small venue.

Cheers. I presume they'll be doing early stuff too. Just got "United Kingdom" on vinyl via ebay. Great to hear it again.

Last time they played The Village (about three years ago) it was mostly new stuff with a sprinkling of 'Gratitude Walks', 'Johnny Mathiss' Feet', 'Rise' and 'Crabwalk'. Nothing pre-Everclear.They were a bit rusty but it was nice to hear those songs.

Cheers. I presume they'll be doing early stuff too. Just got "United Kingdom" on vinyl via ebay. Great to hear it again.

how much did you pay? i lost my copy years ago. love that record. anytime it comes up on e bay, its usually pretty pricey.

got it for round about €19, without P&P. that brought it up to about €25 all told.
still, it's in great nick, hardly ever played.

Last time they played The Village (about three years ago) it was mostly new stuff with a sprinkling of 'Gratitude Walks', 'Johnny Mathiss' Feet', 'Rise' and 'Crabwalk'. Nothing pre-Everclear.They were a bit rusty but it was nice to hear those songs.

people farting in the crowd ruined that gig for me. eitzel's done some great solo gigs here where he's thrown in loads of oldies. i remember making a fool of myself asking him to play western sky in return for a round of drinks for his band once in london. naturally, he said no (fuck off and stop bothering me). never meet your musical heroes.

all the albums pre mercury are due a reissue. other than that warners reissue of the restless stranger, i dont think this has ever happened.

people farting in the crowd ruined that gig for me. eitzel's done some great solo gigs here where he's thrown in loads of oldies. i remember making a fool of myself asking him to play western sky in return for a round of drinks for his band once in london. naturally, he said no (fuck off and stop bothering me). never meet your musical heroes.

Eitzel is such a contrary queen it's hilarious. If he's not breaking down crying over Kid Congo Powers he's threatening to murder the lounge-girls because his martini has the wrong colour olive in it.

I think the best time I've seen him was in the ol' HQ on Abbey Street. Couldn't believe he played 'Jenny' and 'Blue & Grey Shirt'. That show was as close to 'Songs Of Love Live' as I reckon I'll get.

Eitzel is such a contrary queen it's hilarious. If he's not breaking down crying over Kid Congo Powers he's threatening to murder the lounge-girls because his martini has the wrong colour olive in it.

I think the best time I've seen him was in the ol' HQ on Abbey Street. Couldn't believe he played 'Jenny' and 'Blue & Grey Shirt'. That show was as close to 'Songs Of Love Live' as I reckon I'll get.

didnt he play take courage that night too? or was that another one, possibly the music centre or geelans. did you see him in whelans getting stroppy cos someone threw a banana or a beermat or something at his bass player that night. his antics are pretty funny. ive drunkenly harrased him a few times embarresingly enough. every time he just looked frightened and rightly so.

didnt he play take courage that night too? or was that another one, possibly the music centre or geelans. did you see him in whelans getting stroppy cos someone threw a banana or a beermat or something at his bass player that night. his antics are pretty funny. ive drunkenly harrased him a few times embarresingly enough. every time he just looked frightened and rightly so.
Yeah he played 'Take Courage' in HQ. Beautiful song.

Wasn't it an ice-cube thrown at the lady keyboard player in Whelan's? He went berserk-I reckon he was drunk-moaning about how beautiful his band are and what a coward the 'thrower' was or something before threatening to walk off. At least he's unpredictable, I'll give him that.

A friend of mine bumped into Eitzel in his local in San Fran a few years back (Dock's Clock in The Mission district) & the AMC man bought him drink all night and talked about yer wan Kathleen and that he'd love to get the band back together etc. He completely blanked my mate then at The Village gig. Wierd.

Yeah he played 'Take Courage' in HQ. Beautiful song.

Wasn't it an ice-cube thrown at the lady keyboard player in Whelan's? He went berserk-I reckon he was drunk-moaning about how beautiful his band are and what a coward the 'thrower' was or something before threatening to walk off. At least he's unpredictable, I'll give him that.

A friend of mine bumped into Eitzel in his local in San Fran a few years back (Dock's Clock in The Mission district) & the AMC man bought him drink all night and talked about yer wan Kathleen and that he'd love to get the band back together etc. He completely blanked my mate then at The Village gig. Wierd.

doesnt really surprise me. i guess hes got issues. he was my number one idol for years when i was a youngster and then i guess meeting him and the increasing pathchiness of his solo output put me off a bit.

still, i think its good having an AMC thread cos their albums are some of the best records of the 80s and early 90s and i think they deserved a hell of a lot more success than they actually got. such a fantastic songwriter. noone could touch him for a while.

doesnt really surprise me. i guess hes got issues. he was my number one idol for years when i was a youngster and then i guess meeting him and the increasing pathchiness of his solo output put me off a bit.

still, i think its good having an AMC thread cos their albums are some of the best records of the 80s and early 90s and i think they deserved a hell of a lot more success than they actually got. such a fantastic songwriter. noone could touch him for a while.

I couldn't agree more. Dug out Mercury last night after this thread yesterday and Everclear is one of my favourite records. AMC were 'my Smiths' as a teenager...but the diminishing returns on his solo output is disheartening.

Have you heard the AMC tribute album compiled by the fellas from Willard Grant Conspiracy?
Some nice versions on it-particularly 'Chanel No. 9' by Calexico and M. Ward's cover of 'Fearless'.

I actually think The Invisible Man is one of his best albums in terms of songs, though the production that smells of I-just-installed-ProTools doesn't help it that much. Liked the AMC comeback record from 2004 a lot also, looking forward to the new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back