advice sought about pressing vinyl. (1 Viewer)

undo

Since 2000
i've just been looking at the gzcd.cz website trying to figure out the costs of a record.

the difficulty arises when it comes to v.a.t./import and export/tax.

could all ye wizened ones who know of such things please post, in layman's terms, the practicalities involved in this? or email them to [email protected] ...

thanks.

If you go back a few pages on this board theres a pretty detailed discussion on GZ and related stuff, you'll probably get the answers you need there

undo (19 Nov, 2001 07:53 p.m.):
i've just been looking at the gzcd.cz website trying to figure out the costs of a record.

the difficulty arises when it comes to v.a.t./import and export/tax.

could all ye wizened ones who know of such things please post, in layman's terms, the practicalities involved in this? or email them to [email protected] ...

thanks.

or maybe come to this here meetin' at eggs that we're all creamin' about.

Yep, thanks, one of us'll be there. Em, but seriously, that is a whopping amount of money for shipping. What about the prices quoted on the Gz site... about 50 Euros as far as I can see...what relevance do these have in the greater scheme of things?

Thanks.

Herv.

www.snaptoguides.com/compactrisc

the only courier they use is TNT and its around £30 brit quids per address that they're sending to.

but when they get to dublin airport the crowd there charge you VAT of 21% on the value of the goods you've ordered, which amounts to a couple of hundred pounds on even a few hundred records. the trick is to talk your way out of this. i've got away with it sometimes and not others. pure luck.
in fact the new arse lp is back TODAY, but they want me to give them £137.70 in VAT before i can get me mitts on them. "no way" says i, "not on your life". i'll know tomorrow if they've believed me sob story.

fingers crossed.
xxx

Mucho obliged. I was told as well that if you state once the records arrive that they're for promo use you can aviod paying the tax? thrue or no?

I think they've wised up to that.
If you have a seperate parcel of about 200 copies it might still work.

isn't there some thing about taxes where you don't have to pay if you aren't making a profit or something like that? e.g. my da does woodwork in his spare time and makes stuff and sells it at craft fairs but between hours spent working and materials bought etc. he doesn't have to pay any taxes on the money he gets when he sells the stuff 'cos it's not profit making.

How many records did you get delivered for £30 STG?[/quote]

no matter how many records or cd's i've got over the years, they've always just charged £30 per address. most times i've gotten them sent to a few different address's (to fool the tax man), but with this new arse vinyl i'm only getting 200 pressed so i thought i'd just get them all sent to me together. i tried the "promo" things loads of times, joss is right, i don't think it works anymore. i've a new excuse i'm tryin' now, so i'll see how that goes. the weight shouldn't really matter as far as i can see.

thanks for all this...

if anyone else has more to add, please do... 'twould appear that the greater variety of excuses i could give at the airport, the better.

also, just a thought, but if you have a VAT number (eh, perhaps 'borrowed' from a legitimate business) aren't you exempt from VAT?

undo (20 Nov, 2001 06:21 p.m.):
also, just a thought, but if you have a VAT number (eh, perhaps 'borrowed' from a legitimate business) aren't you exempt from VAT?

Yes, but the VAT has to be paid somewhere along the line, so you have to charge VAT when you sell the records to a punter ... which is fine if you're going through a shop, but perhaps not so fine if you're selling em at gigs

You'll find it damn hard to 'borrow' a VAT number from a legit business, and I'd imagine they'd be pretty pissed off when they find out

I phoned GZ about the that quote of £260 for CD delivery. Turns out they miss-read my email and thought I was from Iceland. Hahahaha!

It's only £70! Yipee!

No wonder Sigur Ros albums cost so much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back