advice - old working HD in broken laptop, new laptop with none of my data / apps..... (1 Viewer)

SONYMEGADRIVE

had to get a replacement laptop and it's on the way...so i now have a broken macbook with all my data
and applications on it - how should i approach transferring the data?

is there anyway of duping all the apps etc? should i just reinstall everything....?
will a macbook HD fit into a standard caddy? anyone got one? don't feel like paying someone 80 - 100 euro an hour to do this

Re: advice - old working HD in broken laptop, new laptop with none of my data / apps.

just type it all back in again

Re: advice - old working HD in broken laptop, new laptop with none of my data / apps.

brian02bike.72.jpg

when you get the new machine you can hook them up with firewire and let the mac do it's thing. Then the new machine will feel exactly like your old one.

broken?

when you get the new machine you can hook them up with firewire and let the mac do it's thing. Then the new machine will feel exactly like your old one.
If the old Macbook is broke, then you're probably not going to be able to get it into target disk mode.

Taking the hard drive out of a Macbook is easy - just pop out the battery, take out a couple of (un-losable) screws from the wee metal bar that protects the hard drive and the drive should slide out. It's just a standard 2.5" SATA hard drive, so it'll fit in most caddies. If you can't find someone with one, they're probably on sale in Maplins for 10-15 bucks.

Once you've got it hooked up to your new Macbook, go to Applications -> Utilities -> Migration assistant. Then you can copy across all your old users / documents / applications. It'll take an hour or two to finish, but you should just be able to take up as if you were on your old Macbook - no need to re-register/re-crack anything

cheers jon! that sounds better than what i'm being quoted

and yeah the machine is broken, as in one day decided it would stop working - i got the catch all
"logic board fault" - no applecare, so it's not worth repairing if it could just crap out again - apple
guy laughed when i told him what happened while ordering the new one...nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back