Abortion debate (1 Viewer)

mazzyianne

Website
Visit site
Just got this e-mail, not sure if anyone would be interested but just in case Abortion Debate organised by the Hist in TCD next Wednesday 12th October from 7.30 to 10.00. From the website - Among the many speakers attending the debate are William Binchy, the head of the pro-life camp during the last referendum and Regis Chair of Laws at Trinity College, Francis Kisling, the head of Catholics for Free Choice, a pro-choice Catholic organisation and, perhaps most controversially, Rebecca Gomperts, the woman behind Women on Waves, the organisation that provides travels from port-to-port, providing abortions for women in international waters.

yeah, as far as I know there have been a few cases over the summer taken or being taken to the european courts. Also the group Alliance for Choice are still going and meeting weekly i think. They have been having some major problems as Youth Defence have been attacking their meetings and press conferences and wrecking them. Direct action from youth defence... Also I think they have tried to infiltrate Alliance for choice. sending someone in in disguise as a pro choicer. mad.

This is prob the only subject that I disagree with the majority of what Punks think.
Punks+Alcohol yes
Punks+Veggie yes
Punks+anticop/government yes
Punks+abortion view no

JANER said:
This is prob the only subject that I disagree with the majority of what Punks think.
Punks+Alcohol yes
Punks+Veggie yes
Punks+abortion view no

what does that mean exactly? if you are anti-government, why would you criminalise abortion? is that what you're saying?

Francis Kisling, the head of Catholics for Free Choice Is there any info available on the web on these guys?
mazzyianne said:
Just got this e-mail, not sure if anyone would be interested but just in case Abortion Debate organised by the Hist in TCD next Wednesday 12th October from 7.30 to 10.00. From the website - Among the many speakers attending the debate are William Binchy, the head of the pro-life camp during the last referendum and Regis Chair of Laws at Trinity College, Francis Kisling, the head of Catholics for Free Choice, a pro-choice Catholic organisation and, perhaps most controversially, Rebecca Gomperts, the woman behind Women on Waves, the organisation that provides travels from port-to-port, providing abortions for women in international waters.

JANER said:
Punks+Alcohol yes
Punks+Veggie yes
Punks+abortion view no
I dunno Janer bud, ya could just as easily say
punks+meat=no
Punks+anti alcohol=no
punks+loving pigs=no
punks+no choice for women over their own destiny=no

hows that for a bit of continuity for ya

for the record I would be anti-abortion but pro-choice, actually I dont think I know any Pro abortion people!!!!!!maybe depressed nirvana fans or something!!!

DuncheeKnifed said:
what does that mean exactly? if you are anti-government, why would you criminalise abortion? is that what you're saying?
If I am anti government does that mean 100% of their policies lol
I only need to be against 51% of their policies to be anti government surely :p

ReadySteadyJedi said:
That and your anti-refugee stance i imagine?
I would like controlled influx of refugees yes not just a free for all or just wondering why only us Uk and 1 other EU country opened up fully to the new EU states but the remaining states did not.

It's probably a good thing I can't go to this because if I did, I'm quite certain that my head would explode. Not that that would matter to Camp Pro-Life, since I don't need a head, as long as my womb is still in one piece.

Ugh ugh ugh. I'm pleased to see there is a Catholics for Choice type there. For some reason, that just makes me feel glad. Possibly because I think one of the reasons that a number of people can't see themselves as pro-choice is that they feel that they have to choose between that and their Catholicism. Showing people that doesn't have to be the way is a really positive step. Pro-lifers are already pro-life, and pro-choicers are already pro-choice, and it's important to educate people on what pro-choice really means so that those people whose minds aren't made up aren't swayed by crazed Youth Defence rhetoric.

What I really want to know is (and this is what I'd like to ask them), if abortion is not about women's bodies, and is actually about children, then why, if these pro-life people think that women are prone to killing their children, do they let us have them at ALL?

And at the moment, I'm so enraged by this cancer drug ethics committee thing that I would actually burst into flames at any further exposure to pro-life claptrap.

JANER said:
I would like controlled influx of refugees yes not just a free for all or just wondering why only us Uk and 1 other EU country opened up fully to the new EU states but the remaining states did not.

It's a free-for-all? Why didn't you tell me! And here's me, trying to be all civil.

WATERFIGHT!

PS: This thread is for talking about going to the abortion debate. Not about presenting your weird stoner paranoias about the African invasion.

JANER said:
If I am anti government does that mean 100% of their policies lol
I only need to be against 51% of their policies to be anti government surely :p

if you're anti-government then yes you are 100% against their policies. however, if you are anti-this government then no, i reckon. the criminalisation of those involved in having (by choice) or carrying out an abortion is a state matter, and is enshrined in the irish constitution. the constitution is technically state rather than government but i reckon it ammounts to the same thing since it was written by the same group of people and the specifics and the punishments, etc are carried out by the government. they choose to legislate around the issue and this government is certainly pro-life/anti-abortion.

mickey had a good point about being anti-abortion and pro-choice. there may be loads of punks who are pro-choice but they're not buzzing around performing DIY abortions left, right and centre.

good lively debate.

Erm I got confused lol, it was like saying "Chef square shape soups shows how good soups should be" or a"A scottish soldier was shot in the shoulder" really fast :eek:

jane said:
It's a free-for-all? Why didn't you tell me! And here's me, trying to be all civil.

WATERFIGHT!

PS: This thread is for talking about going to the abortion debate. Not about presenting your weird stoner paranoias about the African invasion.
I was referring to the Polskas, might be diff if I drank Vodka though :cool:

JANER said:

ireland opened up fully cos we needed migrant workers, cheap labour at that. the reason the rest of europe (aside from uk and ireland) kept the borders closed is this massive fear of being over run by immigrants. this is nothing new, during the famine the brits were going nuts about swarms of irish pestilence, drunkeness, filth, and savagery. who was responsible for the famine? there's always a bigger picture, things ain't as simple as the irish independent and evening herald say they are.

we have fuck all asylum seekers coming to ireland compared to most other places. asylum seekers are getting put in prison for nothing more than arriving in the country and are being thrown in detention centres and treated like shit every step of the way in processing their claims. i couldn't say the government was actively encouraging people in or even not detering them.

don't worry boss, your wishes are being upheld.

People should only be in a position to comment when they have been faced with the situation. It's easy to say FUCK ABORTION ITS SICK but it's not as easy as that.

Edit -> lol it's funny how trigger happy some people are with that rep button. Leave your name or comment on the open forum if you're going to call me an idiot.

Politakill said:
People should only be in a position to comment when they have been faced with the situation. It's easy to say FUCK ABORTION ITS SICK but it's not as easy as that.

that's great, but no1 here is saying that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back