A Top 10 of Deranged Psychedelic Classics (1 Viewer)

swingkid

Website
www.wfmu.org
Anybody got any of these records?
Monty, I'm looking at you!

"A Top 10 of Deranged Psychedelic Classics
by Brian Campbell of Clinic

Often when people would describe a record to me as psychedelic, I'd rush out and buy it only to end up severely disappointed, listening to a tame, non-strange load of shit with-- if I was lucky-- token phasing in the middle eight. This is a list of exceptions which more than live up to the promise of classic psychedelia.

The Caretakers of Deception: "Cutting Grass"
A garbled rant about a failed relationship. This takes the form of the boyfriend hacking down his ex, in the name of love's caretaker. Sounds roughly rock 'n' roll for its intro but then forgets about genres altogether.

Calico Wall: "Flight Reaction"
From Minneapolis 1967, a song with severe paranoia and endless cut-ups. Machine gun artillery, explosions and Second World War propaganda speeches build into a psychotic nightmare. Also, amazingly, a great pop record.

Decades: "On Sunset"
If possible, the weirdest of these ten selections. A riff played on what sounds like harvest machinery descends into hopeless scat vocalising. There's nothing else resembling conventional melody, only brief stabs of brass backed by moving tram sounds. From West Hollywood, August 1966.

The Greek Fountains: "Tales on a Grecian Urn"
The Greek Fountains change timing roughly every 20 seconds-- although uniquely with each band member changing to their own preferred timing. The guitarist attempts a "Blueberry Hill" riff over a ballad rhythm whilst the song is constantly interrupted by wailing klaxons. Not noticing the transitions doesn't seem to have been the point.

Dave Diamond & The Higher Elevation: "The Diamond Mine"
A hit of "bubbly fudge mines and one eyed cufflinks" from Colorado, June 1967. The song is done as a DJ talk-down, which cuts across a demented garage racket. This urges the listener to question every second they've existed on earth.

The Sunday Funnies: "A Pindaric Ode"
From New Mexico, incoherent mumblings of lying on grass verges, unable to move after too much quality LSD, magnificently supported by people who thought they were making pop music. The song eventually all funnels backwards, just to underline its chart credentials.

The 13th Floor Elevators: "Kingdom of Heaven"
Although now gaining wider acceptance through "You're Gonna Miss Me" etc, this is a lot darker. A supreme dirge on the quest for enlightenment. Elephant-styled backing vocals punctuate a need to get out of this world. Everything they recorded was essential but this is beyond the pale. Austin 1966.

The Melotones:: "I Walked with a Bugs Bunny Bendy Toy"
From Liverpool 1985 on Probe Plus Records. A distraught garage flashback clinging to a damaged childhood. The Muppetesque vocals constantly remind us that adult life is no better. The best record of the 1980s.

The Monocles: "The Spider and the Fly"
Again from Colorado 1967, this is more murderous psychodrama than a song, taking its filmic cue from the 50s sci-fi of The Fly. Shrieks of "Help Me!" and "Stop it, you're hurting me" repeat and repeat over the dance floor caveman rhythms. Reassuringly, the band members all drove to gigs in hearses. The Moving Sidewalks: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
Talking a gleeful hatchet to the "Fab Four" (their description, not mine!), this turns the cutesy bubblegum teen theme inside out, making it sound like a warped Steppenwolf, but with the humour actually intended. "

swingkid said:
Anybody got any of these records?
Monty, I'm looking at you!

"A Top 10 of Deranged Psychedelic Classics
by Brian Campbell of Clinic

Often when people would describe a record to me as psychedelic, I'd rush out and buy it only to end up severely disappointed, listening to a tame, non-strange load of shit with-- if I was lucky-- token phasing in the middle eight. This is a list of exceptions which more than live up to the promise of classic psychedelia.

The Caretakers of Deception: "Cutting Grass"
A garbled rant about a failed relationship. This takes the form of the boyfriend hacking down his ex, in the name of love's caretaker. Sounds roughly rock 'n' roll for its intro but then forgets about genres altogether.

Calico Wall: "Flight Reaction"
From Minneapolis 1967, a song with severe paranoia and endless cut-ups. Machine gun artillery, explosions and Second World War propaganda speeches build into a psychotic nightmare. Also, amazingly, a great pop record.

Decades: "On Sunset"
If possible, the weirdest of these ten selections. A riff played on what sounds like harvest machinery descends into hopeless scat vocalising. There's nothing else resembling conventional melody, only brief stabs of brass backed by moving tram sounds. From West Hollywood, August 1966.

The Greek Fountains: "Tales on a Grecian Urn"
The Greek Fountains change timing roughly every 20 seconds-- although uniquely with each band member changing to their own preferred timing. The guitarist attempts a "Blueberry Hill" riff over a ballad rhythm whilst the song is constantly interrupted by wailing klaxons. Not noticing the transitions doesn't seem to have been the point.

Dave Diamond & The Higher Elevation: "The Diamond Mine"
A hit of "bubbly fudge mines and one eyed cufflinks" from Colorado, June 1967. The song is done as a DJ talk-down, which cuts across a demented garage racket. This urges the listener to question every second they've existed on earth.

The Sunday Funnies: "A Pindaric Ode"
From New Mexico, incoherent mumblings of lying on grass verges, unable to move after too much quality LSD, magnificently supported by people who thought they were making pop music. The song eventually all funnels backwards, just to underline its chart credentials.

The 13th Floor Elevators: "Kingdom of Heaven"
Although now gaining wider acceptance through "You're Gonna Miss Me" etc, this is a lot darker. A supreme dirge on the quest for enlightenment. Elephant-styled backing vocals punctuate a need to get out of this world. Everything they recorded was essential but this is beyond the pale. Austin 1966.

The Melotones:: "I Walked with a Bugs Bunny Bendy Toy"
From Liverpool 1985 on Probe Plus Records. A distraught garage flashback clinging to a damaged childhood. The Muppetesque vocals constantly remind us that adult life is no better. The best record of the 1980s.

The Monocles: "The Spider and the Fly"
Again from Colorado 1967, this is more murderous psychodrama than a song, taking its filmic cue from the 50s sci-fi of The Fly. Shrieks of "Help Me!" and "Stop it, you're hurting me" repeat and repeat over the dance floor caveman rhythms. Reassuringly, the band members all drove to gigs in hearses. The Moving

Sidewalks: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
Talking a gleeful hatchet to the "Fab Four" (their description, not mine!), this turns the cutesy bubblegum teen theme inside out, making it sound like a warped Steppenwolf, but with the humour actually intended. "
Swingkid - have Calico Wall,Dave Diamond, Sunday Funnies, Elevators, Monocles and Sidewalks, and yeah I think he's pretty much spot on with the descriptions and evaluations...the other tracks sound really inspiring - must get a listen to them. Pebbles Vol. 3 ("The Acid Gallery") and Volume 7 should sort you out with some of these tunes. The Caretakers tune turned up on a series entitled "Sixties Archives" vol 8. Can make tapes, (poxy) they are but I haven't got my hands on a dedicated cd-writin' yoke yet....

cyclotron said:
Swingkid - have Calico Wall,Dave Diamond, Sunday Funnies, Elevators, Monocles and Sidewalks, and yeah I think he's pretty much spot on with the descriptions and evaluations...the other tracks sound really inspiring - must get a listen to them. Pebbles Vol. 3 ("The Acid Gallery") and Volume 7 should sort you out with some of these tunes. The Caretakers tune turned up on a series entitled "Sixties Archives" vol 8. Can make tapes, (poxy) they are but I haven't got my hands on a dedicated cd-writin' yoke yet....

and where are my tapes Cyclotron?

huh?

yeah thought so...

:)

I've found 9 of these 10 tracks..but still looking for The Greek Fountains' Tales on a Grecian Urn...

Can't find anything about it..nothing on google either..mainly a Keats poem called Ode on a Grecian Urn...

Can anyone offer any help?!

Cheers!

no brainticket - cottonwood hill? load of bollocks.

ha ha, think that top 10 is more of the garage psych flavour. pretty much like Clinic themselves. Aren't they supporting Rocky Erickson in the UK? would love to go to that

picked up that Brianticket record on your recomendation brian, top stuff so thank you. been told there 3rd album is the shit.

yeah most of that stuff has come out on comps, can sort you out Gav

picked up that Brianticket record on your recomendation brian, top stuff so thank you. been told there 3rd album is the shit.

you are most welcome. that album is without doubt a "deranged psychedelic classic" if ever there was one. unfortunately, i felt all their albums after this one were really dull, degenerating very quickly into tepid cosmic hippy shit. their earlier incarnation - toad - were interesting though.

Can't find anything about it..nothing on google either..mainly a Keats poem called Ode on a Grecian Urn...

Can anyone offer any help?!
I realize this is an ancient thread, but candyflip never got an answer. Either Brian Campbell or Pitchfork Media was having a laugh: there is no song by that name in The Greek Fountains discography, or any other discography for that matter. Unless Brian Campbell has some secret acetate no one else does, this is a hoax. The rest of the list is good, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back