3000 miners (1 Viewer)

What a mess. I hope that they do get them all out alive. 3,200 of them and with the main lift out of order they can only get 200 of them out an hour. Actually, that means that, assuming they kept at it, they should have them all out by now.

What a mess. I hope that they do get them all out alive. 3,200 of them and with the main lift out of order they can only get 200 of them out an hour. Actually, that means that, assuming they kept at it, they should have them all out by now.

hopefully.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7027122.stm

More than 3,000 workers are trapped deep underground in a South African gold mine after an accident blocked a deep shaft, officials have said.

fuck

well just like joining the army they knew the dangers they were getting themselves into when they signed up for the job !ninjaaaa

mining has an atrocious record for safety and we probably dont know the figures for deaths associated with that mine since it opened which is probably astronomical.

greeds a wonderful thing innit. bet you're all looking at that gold/silver pendant or ring quite differently now. mmmm... expensive loss of life

The form of money - Salgado. Serra Pelada gold mine
Brazil, 1986
salgado_ladders[1].jpg

Depending on the report you believe they've got somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 of them out. That seems very slow. 200 an hour should take about 15 hours, and already it has been almost 24.

one would imagine the rescue effort is being slowed by the fact the entrance exit is blocked by debris. in an ideal situation/theory you can evacuate to a particular stated number put down by firesaftety (eg plane evacuation simulations) but as with most real life emergency situations, panic, unpredictible events and human nature always add hours to the clock.

the fact they've evacuated 1000 or more is a feat in itself. i'd be pretty happy with 1/3 rescued considering they all could have been killed from the offset.

i wonder were the miners drinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAkHBmtK5Kk

well just like joining the army they knew the dangers they were getting themselves into when they signed up for the job !ninjaaaa

mining has an atrocious record for safety and we probably dont know the figures for deaths associated with that mine since it opened which is probably astronomical.

greeds a wonderful thing innit. bet you're all looking at that gold/silver pendant or ring quite differently now. mmmm... expensive loss of life

i don't own any gold (or any jewellry, for that matter) and never will, therefore i don't feel personally responsible for this, however tragic it is.

although, i suppose that gold keeps the economy afloat in some way, so i guess the entire western world is complicit.

i don't own any gold (or any jewellry, for that matter) and never will, therefore i don't feel personally responsible for this, however tragic it is.

although, i suppose that gold keeps the economy afloat in some way, so i guess the entire western world is complicit.

not saying people should feel personally responsible for it just a lot of hard work goes into making those shiny things we wear. most people dont give a flying french connection uk as long as it looks nice so theres no complicity if masses say so. just like theres no god, no weapons of mass destruction, no sleep til brooklyn, no means no....

brain tired. zzzzz..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back