2xCD My Bloody Valentine Comp Due Next Month (1 Viewer)

snap-apple

Supporter
Since 2000
http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/04-03/23.shtml

Chris Leslie-Hynan reports:
My Bloody Valentine have announced the pending release of a new two-disc release compiling material from their long out-of-print EPs, as well as a handful of previously unreleased tracks, all in crystalline, lovingly remastered stereo. Apparently titled Remastered EPs, the first disc compiles every track from the four EPs issued between 1988-1990 (You Made Me Realise, Feed Me With Your Kiss, Glider and Tremolo), while the second disc contains eight unreleased songs. According to Mybloodyvalentine.net, the compilation is set to be released April 21st, though it's already currently available via Japanese import. Otherwise, it can be pre-ordered via sirendisc.com (who claim it's due to ship April 12th) or amazon.co.uk (who have it as a May 3rd release). Or you can just give into record company release-date tyranny and wait patiently. Tracklist:

Disc 1 - EPs
01 You Made Me Realise
02 Slow
03 Thorn
04 Cigarette In Your Bed
05 Drive It All Over Me
06 Feed Me With Your Kiss
07 I Believe
08 Emptiness Inside
09 I Need No Trust
10 Soon
11 Glider
12 Don't Ask Why
13 Off Your Face
14 To Here Knows When
15 Swallow
16 Honey Power
17 Moon Song

Disc 2 - Unreleased
01 Instrumental #2
02 Instrumental #1
03 Cowboy Song
04 Good For You
05 Sugar
06 Kevin Song
07 Belinda Song
08 Glider (Long)

There's no official word on exactly who has remastered the songs, but like the answer to all life's great mysteries, it's probably Kevin Shields. Who's buried in Grant's Tomb? Kevin Shields. When was the War of 1812? Kevin Shields. And speaking of the man who is to the flanger what J.D. Salinger is to the word "crumby," Shields recently gave an interview with The Guardian, which the publication claimed was his first interview in 12 years. If you like it, you can read the one he gave to Arthur Magazine last November. Oh snap!

The interview is fairly lengthy, although much of the length is due to back-story rather than juicy, new Shields quotes. It comes off as a bit of a modern folk-tale of the reclusive genius, with entertaining tall tales like the one about Air drummer Brian Reitzell coaxing Shields back into the world, and the one wherein Shields' craziness is measured by the amount of chinchillas and barbed wire he used to keep in his house. How many chinchillas and how much barbed wire? Lots and plenty. They're like peanut butter and pianos: They definitely could go together, but we'll be fucked if we can tell you how.

.: Pitchfork Review: VA/Kevin Shields: Lost in Translation OST
.: To Here Knows Web: http://www.mybloodyvalentine.net
.: Guardian interview: http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview...

to be honest i still cant listen to the first two MBV records... its that old "mediocre albums by bands who've made amazing albums" sydrome again

Alan Remorse said:
to be honest i still cant listen to the first two MBV records... its that old "mediocre albums by bands who've made amazing albums" sydrome again
Ah now hang on .... that doesn't include "Isn't Anything" does it? Or was that their 3rd record .....

I spent half an hour trying to find my copy of Loveless the other day and couldn't. What a bummer

yeah, it does include "isnt anything"... i dunno, i got it a long time after Loveless and i was pretty disappointed that it didnt match the utter majesty of Loveless. production is pretty ropey in places as well... im sorry!

I love Isn't Anything!

The production hasn't got the same colour as Loveless but the vocals are so sweet and endearing.

Loveless reminds me of that book "The Great and Secret Show" by Clive Barker. Or maybe its the other way around. Anybody ever read that?

All I Need off Isn't Anything is my favourite tune by them. A lot of the stuff on the EPs is quite good, too.. most of those 'unreleased' songs are pretty widely available, though, soulseek or the like... Instrumental B is wonderful

Richie said:
All I Need off Isn't Anything is my favourite tune by them. A lot of the stuff on the EPs is quite good, too.. most of those 'unreleased' songs are pretty widely available, though, soulseek or the like... Instrumental B is wonderful

i'll have another listen but i dunno.... although i did buy it during one of my phases where i bought about 5 CDs a day and only listened to each of them once.

the andy wetherall remix of soon is an embarrising mistake of the early nintees that should remain there...

this sounds great.
really likeing that kevin shields single at the moment aswell.

Alan Remorse said:
yeah, it does include "isnt anything"... i dunno, i got it a long time after Loveless and i was pretty disappointed that it didnt match the utter majesty of Loveless. production is pretty ropey in places as well... im sorry!
no
hugh said:
Ah now hang on .... that doesn't include "Isn't Anything" does it? Or was that their 3rd record .....

I spent half an hour trying to find my copy of Loveless the other day and couldn't. What a bummer
1st album was This Is Your Bloody Valentine LP - 7 tracks, 1985 - crap

2nd album was Ecstasy LP - 7 tracks, 1987 - excellent [but you never see it nowadays]

instead what is more common is the Ecstasy and Wine LP - 10 tracks, 1988 - [Ecstasy's 7 tracks plus the 3 tracks from Strawberry Wine 12"]

Isn't Anything is their 3rd album and their best

firmly believe that most people who prefer Loveless heard Loveless first and then heard Isn't Anything

I think if Isn't Anything was heard in context and prior to Loveless then you will prefer Isn't Anything

or that could be bollocks:D

wonder if that box set(s) idea will still go ahead

would be great if it did

Ecstasy and Wine turns up occasionally at record fairs and Borderline. vinyl always although a CD version should exist.

jangly but nice. Isn't Anything was a total step up.

that compilation will be nice to have; my 12"s are well-worn at this stage
plus the unreleased stuff too.

I wonder if Instrumental no 1 and no 2 which they say are unreleased are from that Pensioners on Ecstacy compilation from '92... here nigggle, you would know that...
Pity their cover of We Have All The Time In The World aint on it... i'd like to have that on CD

i heard the other day that Colm O'Coisaig (MBV drummer) is coming to Dublin next week to record some stuff. but dunno what sort of music he's doing now :)

anyway, the compilation looks nice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back