Great Opening Sentences In Fiction (2 Viewers)

fcs_JY27_1_01.jpg

Ok I'm in

lawnmower.jpg

You're a good kisser.

be serious, please.

He - for there could be no doubt about his sex, though the fashion of the time did something to disguise it - was in the act of slicing at the head of a Moor which swung from the rafters.

or

When the fair gold morning of April stirred Mary Hawley awake, she turned over to her husband and saw him, little fingers pulling a frog mouth at her.

not fiction; following is the opening line from y, the descent of men by steve jones.

"Ejaculate, if you are so minded and equipped, into a glass of chilled Perrier"

"Young Denis O'Shaughnessy was old Denis's son; and old Denis, like many great men before him, was the son of his father and mother in particular, and a long line of respectable ancestors in general."

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Not everybody knows how I killed old Phillip Mathers, smashing his jaw in with my spade; but first it is better to speak of my friendship with John Divney because it was he who first knocked old Mathers down by giving him a great blow in the neck with a special bicycle-pump which he manufactured himself out of a hollow iron bar.

best book...ever

everyone says that! must get around to it.

Hmm. I dunno. I reckon if OHYOS is your entry-point re: Marquez' fiction pretty much everything else pales in comparison. I quite liked No-One Writes To The Colonel though...hmmm I've not read any Marquez since my early-twenties mind you but I'm not sure I want to read any more Magical Realism either. There's only so many novellas about levitating hunchbacks impregnating blind virgins in the shade of the guava tree a fella can take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back