Is this reasonable? (1 Viewer)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
Basically a plea from Asthmatic Kitty records to people not to avail of low-price deals on their stuff (specifically Sufjan Steven's new album out in October).

Like '[Asthmatic Kitty] Preorder Sufjan Stevens' The Age of Adz on Bandcamp' on Facebook

ajax_loader.gif
Connecting to Facebook

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.

Hi:

(A brief foreword: this is the only email you'll get from us. We have your email because you bought Sufjan Stevens' EP on Bandcamp. If you do like to hear more from us you can sign up for our email list here. Which we wish you would.)

Thanks for supporting us and Sufjan with your purchase of his EP All Delighted People. Please keep reading but to cut to the chase, you can preorder Sufjan Stevens' new full-length, The Age of Adz, from Bandcamp for $8 right here:​
http://sufjanstevens.bandcamp.com/album/the-age-of-adz

We love getting good music into your hands. We think it makes you happy, and that makes us happy. And that's why we're writing this email: to make everyone happy. It's admittedly a long email but we hope you'll stick with us for at least a little while because we want to explain something.

On October 12th we are proud to release Sufjan Stevens' first song-based full-length album in 5 years, The Age of Adz. We think it's one of the best things we've heard in a long time and we're hoping you'll buy it.

So. We have it on good authority that Amazon will be selling The Age of Adz for a very low price on release date, not unlike they did with Arcade Fire's recent (and really terrific) The Suburbs. We're not 100% sure Amazon will do this, but mostly sure.

We have mixed feelings about discounted pricing. Like we said, we love getting good music into the hands of good people, and when a price is low, more people buy. A low price will introduce a lot of people to Sufjan's music and to this wonderful album. For that, we're grateful.

But we also feel like the work that our artists produce is worth more than a cost of a latte. We value the skill, love, and time they've put into making their records. And we feel that our work too, in promotion and distribution, is also valuable and worthwhile.

That's why we personally feel that physical products like EPs should sell for around $7 and full-length CDs for around $10-12 We think digital EPs should sell for around $5 and full-length digital albums for something like $8.

So you might wonder why we'd "allow" Amazon to sell it for lower than that.

There are several reasons why, but mostly? It's because we believe in you. We trust you and in your ability to make your own choice. Here are some you might make if you decide to obtain the album:​

• You can preorder the physical CD and LP. We are currently taking preorders on both, selling them for $12+S&H and $20+S&H respectively. Those who preorder will get a digital download of the album 2 weeks early on September 28th. You can do that here:
    https://www.scdistribution.com/sufjan/

• You can preorder the digital album via Bandcamp, starting right now. The cost of the preorder is $8. As a sign of thanks, those who preorder will also receive their download two weeks early on September 28th. (This offer ends September 27th at 11pm EST.) Do that here:

• You can mosey on down to your local independent record store and preorder or buy it there.

• You can wait for whatever pricing may or may not occur on the big broad Internet on release day.

• Finally, you could just download the album after it leaks without paying a dime from any number of sources on the internet. (We'd rather you not.)
So that's you.

A bit about us.

We are very much like Bandcamp. We are similarly sized companies (under 10 employees!). Both of us are dwarfed by companies doing the same thing but with seemingly limitless amounts of resources. Our dealings with Bandcamp have been honest and that's a rare find. And like us, they believe artists and musicians should get what's due them. Like us, they believe in the shiny ideal that someone can still possibly maybe perhaps surely make a decent living singing and writing and playing their best. We think that they also think that good music is worth something. This all while the internet swirls with bittorrents and rapidshares and full-album-mp3-blogs and heavily discounted pricing. So this is us, both out here on the raggedy edge.

And honestly, we like it here.

In fact, there are lots of us out there, doing what we do because we love to do it and hoping somebody pays us long enough to keep doing it a little while longer.

So we hope you'll be that somebody that keeps paying us a little while longer, in whatever way you think most appropriate.

Thanks for reading and being such a great bunch of people.

Love,
Asthmatic Kitty Records

P.S. The new Half-handed Cloud album comes out next week. It's very good. You can stream it for free and preorder it on Bandcamp here:
http://half-handedcloud.bandcamp.com

You are on this email list because you purchased a Sufjan Stevens album from Bandcamp.com.

Unsubscribe <<Email Address>> from this list.

Our mailing address is:
Asthmatic Kitty RecordsPost Office Box 1282
Lander, WY 82520

Add us to your address book

Copyright (C) 2009 Asthmatic Kitty Records All rights reserved.

Update your profile

also at

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=8b99b26102810d538744c3fa2&id=cf909b94cf&e=

first of all is amazon selling a digital or physical copy? surely if it's a physical copy then they've paid the wholesale price so can charge whatever, if it's a digital copy why let Amazon release it at all if your gonna ask fans NOT to buy from them? also this only advertised the fact that amazon were cheaper, people who buy physical copies usually go through the record label, i doubt amazon is gonna hurt those sales.

record label = $8 for digital download
amazon = "price of a latte" what's that $2

how many are the label gonna sell compared to amazon... 20% vs 80% and they obviously make SOME money from the amazon deal
digital copies cost $0.00 to duplicate so having amazons market share and advertisement is only a good thing

first of all is amazon selling a digital or physical copy? surely if it's a physical copy then they've paid the wholesale price so can charge whatever, if it's a digital copy why let Amazon release it at all if your gonna ask fans NOT to buy from them? also this only advertised the fact that amazon were cheaper, people who buy physical copies usually go through the record label, i doubt amazon is gonna hurt those sales.

record label = $8 for digital download
amazon = "price of a latte" what's that $2

how many are the label gonna sell compared to amazon... 20% vs 80% and they obviously make SOME money from the amazon deal
digital copies cost $0.00 to duplicate so having amazons market share and advertisement is only a good thing

My guess is that amazon will sell both. But I agree with what (I think) you're saying. If they don't want people buying from amazon then why supply amazon.

This bit makes the whole thing seem a bit weak to me;

So you might wonder why we'd "allow" Amazon to sell it for lower than that.

There are several reasons why, but mostly? It's because we believe in you. We trust you and in your ability to make your own choice. Here are some you might make if you decide to obtain the album:

• [*] You can preorder the physical CD and LP. We are currently taking preorders on both, selling them for $12+S&H and $20+S&H respectively. Those who preorder will get a digital download of the album 2 weeks early on September 28th. You can do that here:
    https://www.scdistribution.com/sufjan/

• [*] You can preorder the digital album via Bandcamp, starting right now. The cost of the preorder is $8. As a sign of thanks, those who preorder will also receive their download two weeks early on September 28th. (This offer ends September 27th at 11pm EST.) Do that here:

• [*] You can mosey on down to your local independent record store and preorder or buy it there.

• [*] You can wait for whatever pricing may or may not occur on the big broad Internet on release day.

• [*] Finally, you could just download the album after it leaks without paying a dime from any number of sources on the internet. (We'd rather you not.)

So while I appreciate the sentiment (agree with what No.7 is saying - I'd favour the independents myself but options in that regard are becoming increasingly limited), it seems a little half-hearted.

Can't believe we're living in a "post-MGMT era"!!!1

I reckon I'll buy it cheap and then stick a tenner in an envelope and post it to him to make up for it.

Patronage pop. You should include a letter explaining that you want his next album to be full of songs praising you

Not quite the same thing but I saw on the Chris Knox site that they are thinking of issuing the Stroke LP on vinyl.
http://www.chrisknox.co.nz/
We're thinking about putting Stroke out on vinyl (the price will be around US$85). Are you keen?
Most people have answered 'yes'.

Obv this is different, for charity and all.

And I'd say that Amazon hammers them on the wholesale price so they're basically making nothing out of it, but are doing it for the ubiquity thing

I think it's a fair enough email to send out. "If you love us, don't buy on Amazon".

but...why do they sell anything on amazon then...i'm confused
(i didn't read it very carfeully either)

what dyou mean the ubiquity thing...so they want to...but then they don't want....so confused...

I expect they think that being available on amazon means more people will buy the album than would otherwise have bought it - via "if you like that you might like this" suggestions, amazon lists, and people who never buy anything unless it's on amazon. They make very little money out of it, but some of those people might turn into fans, go see a gig, buy a t-shirt etc

But then if you're already a fan they're appealing to you to pay a little bit more

I expect they think that being available on amazon means more people will buy the album than would otherwise have bought it - via "if you like that you might like this" suggestions, amazon lists, and people who never buy anything unless it's on amazon. They make very little money out of it, but some of those people might turn into fans, go see a gig, buy a t-shirt etc

But then if you're already a fan they're appealing to you to pay a little bit more

In the pre-MGMT world when you're a fan (i.e in the fan club) you get the album earlier, cheaper and with free shit.

Anyone ever get a christmas single from ...eh ...it was either REM or Pearl Jam... I never did but a girl at school did, one of them was a cover of something mental...Maybe it was REM and the cover was Lion Sleeps Tonight. Any way I say fuck NAMA and the horse it rode in on and who needs an Ipod touch really?

I wonder if its Sufjan himself or the label that are pushing this.

I reckon I'll buy it cheap and then stick a tenner in an envelope and post it to him to make up for it.

hah +1. I did something similar when marc hollis was gettin the broom-handle from his former label & the only discs in shops were cut-outs/returns that the performer basically gets charged for twice against sales by some labels...

I get this label's point though in this kinda thing though, we can be pretty certain sufjan owns all rights to his own songs... hopefully...

I think they're a bunch of whingy spammers, and they should either take the Amazon route or not. Begging for extra coppers is fucking retarded

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back