your worst fear (2 Viewers)

I blame this thread for the fact that I had an absolutely horrible nightmare last night.

In it, I was with my friend and boyfriend, and we were all scared 'cos we heard some terrorists were crashing planes into buildings in LA.
There was all this talk about them coming to Ireland, so we went to this hospital/airport place in galway (!) to seek refuge. I kept messing about on my phone and glancing up to the tv to see where the planes were...then my boyfriend tells me that the planes are on their way to Ireland - and right to where we are. He turns to me and says 'we're done'. I start thinking ' i don't want to die/what happens when you die?/this had better be a dream/etc' and keep hoping I'm dreaming but then thinking 'no way, this is real life, you are going to die'...people start running and screaming and I look out the window and a plane is coming right for us.

And I wake up.

and possibly being locked in a room while someone shoves pitbull terriers in through the window

learn karate.

no, forget that, karate won't be much use against pit bulls

start carryign firearms. That'll sort you

I have this fear that my deep seated belief that we are not alone in the universe is wrong. i find the thought that we are alone very upsetting. there must be life out there somewhere...

i'd be happy with an amoeba

I have this fear that my deep seated belief that we are not alone in the universe is wrong. i find the thought that we are alone very upsetting. there must be life out there somewhere...

I've thought about this too Pierre.

As the fella says, around our sun there are nine planets including earth and in our galaxy alone there are 100 millions suns approx but we can rule out 90% of those as they are binary systems. Life as we know it cannot exist in binary systems.

That leaves 10 million stars in our galaxy that could contain an earth like planet. Its thought that out of those 10,000,000 only 1/100th of 1% of those stars could contain life give the right conditions. That gives us around 1000 planets in our galaxy that could possibly contain life. But....it is theorised that there are at least 100 million galaxies out there.

So, the odds of earth being the only planet in the entire universe with life are around 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000. In other words, 1 in 10 quadrillion.

" nine planets including earth"

ah but there aren't- Pluto has been reclassifed as "just a big ball of frozen crap"

but to get back on topic, my biggest fear is being thought of as an irritating pedant

god forbid

Did you have a copy of [SIZE=-1]Bás Beatha in your house?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]I bought one in a jumble sale when I was about 9 or 10 I think. Scared the shit out of me.[/SIZE]

I've got one of those! I picked it up in a second hand bookshop in Youghal a few years ago, which I found rather amusing, since Youghal has a whole nuclear winter buzz about it. It was especially useful because it kept me amused during an exceedingly tedious conference.

As for worst fears, I still get twinges of paranoia about nuclear war, definitely a holdover from childhood Cold War panics. One of my friends as a kid was Russian, and I guess that helped allay my worries a bit (because it was like, "Duh, they aren't all out to get us"). Oddly enough, she was this guy's granddaughter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Sakharov.

I hate spiders with a big vengeance. I'm also afraid of bees and wasps because I'm allergic to them. Fire also makes me uncomfortable in a huge way. I used to be so afraid of my house burning down that when I was little, I always carried a bag of essentials with me, just in case. I don't use incense and candles only very rarely, and never if I'm not actually keeping an eye on them. Sometimes I'll even put them out if I'm in a restaurant or bar with a candle on a shaky table.

Now I'm more afraid of flooding, but that's possibly because I live in Ringsend, and so isn't totally irrational. And of being run over by a HGV, but that's also not irrational because they drive around like maniacs.

On a more pathetic note, I'm rather terrified that my life will be exactly the same this time next year, and longer-term, that I'll never have a proper career or a kid.

I hate spiders with a big vengeance. I'm also afraid of bees and wasps because I'm allergic to them. Fire also makes me uncomfortable in a huge way. I used to be so afraid of my house burning down that when I was little, I always carried a bag of essentials with me, just in case. I don't use incense and candles only very rarely, and never if I'm not actually keeping an eye on them. Sometimes I'll even put them out if I'm in a restaurant or bar with a candle on a shaky table.

I can't stand insects too, especially ones that fly. But they're all disgusting really.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fire phobia! am always convinced any time i'm near a candle it'll set fire to something. In my old job we had to light oil burners every day. I managed to conquer my long-held fear of lighters/matches in about 6 months, which I was pretty thrilled about. Obviously, I've never smoked - what, hold a lighting thing in my hand?! no thanks...

I can't stand insects too, especially ones that fly. But they're all disgusting really.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fire phobia! am always convinced any time i'm near a candle it'll set fire to something. In my old job we had to light oil burners every day. I managed to conquer my long-held fear of lighters/matches in about 6 months, which I was pretty thrilled about. Obviously, I've never smoked - what, hold a lighting thing in my hand?! no thanks...

I smoke, but I'm pretty careful with matches and lighters, and I don't just stub out my cigarettes, I grind them into a tobaccoey pulp. But yeah, I may be a hopeless romantic, but candlelit dinners make me anxious, and all I see are the headlines on the Herald.

so sweet, its almost spicey or something. im nearly afraid of it.

kinda reminds me of

that's so sweet, it's painful scene [also a candidate for worst nightmare] from

389px-Ispit.jpg

I FEAR MONKEY-MEN ON FANCY BIKES WHO ARE OVER-RATED LYRICISTS, BORING, MANKY AND JUST GENERALLY MORE SHIT THAN THEY'RE GIVIN' CREDIT FOR.

ALLAHQUAANNNNDO!!

hey! i just realised what your were on about

this should get an honorary mention in the pun thread

well done that man

kudos

And of being run over by a HGV, but that's also not irrational because they drive around like maniacs.

same, espically when out cycling. also have a fear of waking up only to find a large snake (one of those boa constrictor, or anaconda types,) in the room, and its between me and the door. fuckin hate snakes.all of them.bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back