You know you're getting old.... (3 Viewers)

You can tie yourselves in knots over over measurable stats of you can JUST DRIVE BETTER.
Or you can stop getting annoyed about stuff you've no control over. Do yiz also get mad at the weather? The phases of the moon?

I was driving with my 80-something year old uncle recently and he was getting madder and madder at The Ignorance Of People not dipping their lights when he thought they ought to. I was the one driving the car, dunno why he was even paying attention

Or you can stop getting annoyed about stuff you've no control over. Do yiz also get mad at the weather? The phases of the moon?

I was driving with my 80-something year old uncle recently and he was getting madder and madder at The Ignorance Of People not dipping their lights when he thought they ought to. I was the one driving the car, dunno why he was even paying attention
Would he not get hurt if you got blinded and drove into a ditch?

try going out for a cycle or a walk and some prick nearly runs you over, and tell me you remain that sanguine because it's not something you've got control over.

If I have a near miss my reaction is usually a wave of terror-mixed-with-relief, rather than anger. In fairness though I'm probably benefitting from the anger of you other fuckers, cos you feeling it and expressing it is probably a limiting factor on how badly people drive - a poor driver mightn't have the cop-on to figure out how to drive safely on their own, and needs the pissed-off reactions of other drivers to learn boundaries

You can talk to drivers, you can even talk in a way that leaves people in a position that they'd be morto thinking about how they drive. Less so with the weather, much less so with the moon.

The idea that it's a force of nature than cannot be controlled is adding point scoring to my consensus that ireland has bad driving attitudes as a baseline.

You can exert a tiny amount of social pressure on people, yes, and they may or may not pay any attention - they already have a zillion other social pressures clamouring for their attention, sometimes in the opposite direction. Getting angry about this shit has a cost ... but as I said I probably benefit from other people's anger directed at poor driving, so I should probably shut up

As I’ve said previously on this forum, without actually having real legal consequences for shitty driving then it’s just pissing in the wind in terms of changing the behaviour. People didn’t stop drink-driving or start wearing seatbelts because of altruism, they did it because the penalties outweighed the risk of being caught (for most people). Drivers are going to be shit around cyclists unless there are big fines or cars impounded over dangerous behaviour.

Told some youngwan to shut up in the cinema earlier. Not paying twenty nine quid to listen to some joker do the LOUD WHISPER TALKING to their mate 4 seats up the row shit.
Forgot to mention that I used almost exactly the same volume “whisper” as she’d been using and her reaction was “OHMYGODDDD NO NEED TO SHOUT AT ME LIKE” - also “whispered”.

You can exert a tiny amount of social pressure on people, yes, and they may or may not pay any attention - they already have a zillion other social pressures clamouring for their attention, sometimes in the opposite direction. Getting angry about this shit has a cost ... but as I said I probably benefit from other people's anger directed at poor driving, so I should probably shut up
If people repeatedly took swings at you while walking through the city centre, you'd be annoyed. Not much difference if someone nearly hits you in their car.

One thing I suggest to people is to drive around with an L plate up in their car for a bit, and they'll be amazed at the change in behaviour of a small cohort of drivers towards them. Was quite noticeable when my wife was learning to drive, I was wondering why I was seeing so much more shitty driving and then realised I'd forgotten to take the L plate down

we were in a paint shop in the blanchardstown centre yesterday. they had a bin of mis-mixed paints, €1 per litre. we grabbed a 2.25l tin and two 250ml tins. the woman behind the counter looked at them and said 'oh, i'll have to get the calculator out for this'. i said 'no need, it's €2.75' and she looked at me like i had two heads. i said 'it's 2.75l, so it's €2.75' but she still got the calculator out and told us it'd be €4.25.
i just found out that the 2.25l pot we got for a couple of euro retails at €70+. bloody nora, it's lovely stuff to work with though.

had a 'get the manager' moment in tesco just now. the cashier asked did anyone in the queue have a clubcard, my wife handed over her phone, thinking she just wanted to show the customer in front something - but she scanned it and then casually said, 'oh, they just got your €15 off voucher'. so i waited till she was about to serve us and asked her to confirm we'd get the €15 back. 'it's gone, i can't get it back' followed by 'it's your fault, you didn't tell me there was a voucher on your card'...

your €15 off voucher
As in, spend €100 and get €15 off? Are they still handing those out? I haven't gotten one in years, literally. And it was one of the great joys of my life to max out the value in the most maximally effective ways. If they're still handing them out to other people and not to me, I think Tesco could be dead to me for the big Christmas shop.

As in, spend €100 and get €15 off? Are they still handing those out? I haven't gotten one in years, literally. And it was one of the great joys of my life to max out the value in the most maximally effective ways. If they're still handing them out to other people and not to me, I think Tesco could be dead to me for the big Christmas shop.
Dunnes give you €30 vouchers off for spending €150. You can more than double that if you order online, you get €30 off immediately and when they deliver you get your regular till receipt with €35 vouchers to use in store (have to be used within a week or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back