Writing an article and getting it published (1 Viewer)

CinnamonBoy

So, I have done two things that I always threatened to do. I've set the wheels in motion to make a documentary and I've written a 2000 word piece which I think could be published online.

It's not quite misery-lit, but it is a confessional. And I think it's good. I've a good hook to start off with, a narrative and some quite shocking detail. I think it's a winner.

Who should I send it to? Should I write a cover letter explaining who I am? Guardian? Atlantic? New York Times? Vice? Any suggestions are welcome because I don't have a fucking clue. I think it's good and it reads well and it's total clickbait (I have integrity but I'm a complete whore). Even if I was paid nothing for it, I would leave my job immediately and write (and make docus and play music).

Please help Thumped. I don't even mind sending to one of you to read, as I can in no way show it to my lady or anyone I know. I think it reads well. I'm 32 in a couple of weeks, at my wit's end, sitting down for PMDS tomorrow and all I want to do is create and entertain.

My lady makes €79k a year, so I have a bit of leeway. A bit.

Thanks, Pricks.

What's it about? All advice for this kind of thing tends to boil down to 'send it to the publication it's most suited for' and 'aim high, why not'.

here:
Proposals

What's it about? All advice for this kind of thing tends to boil down to 'send it to the publication it's most suited for' and 'aim high, why not'.

here:
Proposals

It's a personal/universal story on dealing with alcoholism, drug addiction with an unplanned pregnancy thrown into the mix. That Scott Sossell piece from the Atlantic on anxiety appeared all over the shop and generated plenty of response pieces. I think this could do the same. Except it's not as boring.

I read it back this morning and I'm like "that's kinda good....."

And people love reading about how fucked up and dysfunctional other people are.

i think he's aiming higher

I am. But if even one person (who isn't a relation) said "that's kinda good, you can write", I would have it published anywhere. Sure I knocked it out in no time. And I can knock out something else then.

Also, @pete , I have given myself 2 months to leave my job with the NCA. Am I mad? I want to make documentaries, write, make music, play in a cover band....anything.... and if all that fails I will temp or just get another office job. Or flip burgers. Cos I hate it here.

Have you done your 2 years probation? Does that matter anymore?

I know I left civil service just shy of my probation being over, because I couldn't handle it anymore. Thankfully, I've yet to regret it, but it'll always be a nagging worry

Good luck with it, I admire anyone who takes the risk of leaving 'security' for something they really want

You should probably get on touch with the sites or magazines you think might publish it or where you'd like to see it and check out their submission guidelines

Have you done your 2 years probation? Does that matter anymore?

I know I left civil service just shy of my probation being over, because I couldn't handle it anymore. Thankfully, I've yet to regret it, but it'll always be a nagging worry

Yeah, I have almost 5 years service in total at this stage. Strangely enough, I've yet to hear of anyone leaving the civil service and regretting it....

I am. But if even one person (who isn't a relation) said "that's kinda good, you can write", I would have it published anywhere. Sure I knocked it out in no time. And I can knock out something else then.

Also, @pete , I have given myself 2 months to leave my job with the NCA. Am I mad? I want to make documentaries, write, make music, play in a cover band....anything.... and if all that fails I will temp or just get another office job. Or flip burgers. Cos I hate it here.

Can you get a transfer to another department?

I don't love my job, but I sure as heck appreciate the money that winds up in my account every week without fail.

Do you live with your other half? Is she cool with you going to zero income, which is effectively giving her a pay cut.

I don't know what other people will say, but I think anyone that gives up a paycheck with no real idea what they're gonna do next is kinda mad.

I'm all for people following their dreams or whatever, but your dream seems mainly to not want to work there anymore.

People that write are doing it all the time. They write every day. It takes years to find your voice as a writer and even then there's no one beating a path to your door to publish what you have written.

The life of a freelancer is one of almost constant rejection.

Aye, 7 has the right idea. Make sure your partner is totally fine with the idea that you may have no cash for a very long time.

Also, if you voluntarily leave a job, you'll probably be disqualified from the dole for a few months. That would see any cash you have now very quickly disappear.

So yeah, try and make your bases are covered before you do anything rash

male_midlife_crisis_checkli.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back